Does anyone have

BTSDOG

NES Member
A go to cleaner to remove dried red loctite ? Im in the process of rebuilding an AR match rifle and the previous owner or builder seemed to have a fetish for red loctite. Shit is everywhere. The handguard, gasblock, and who knows, probably the barrel nut too. I just want to get it nice and clean before putting it back together......thanks

Fire, fire is always the answer. Get a torch and light that bitch on fire.

Heat it up enough to loosen and undo fittings and then take a rag and acetone to remove any leftover Loctite

Maybe I’m doing it wrong, but acetone couldn’t even remove blue loctite. I soaked an optics plate in acetone and nothing happened. Had to scrape it off with a razor blade.

Heat to soften it and acetone/ lacquer thinner, whatever to remove the residue.
I generally use a product called Vibratite these days if I want to remove some fastener at a later date.

I saw a recipe for a Mexican shot that contained Tequila, hot sauce and tuna fish juice. Not sure it’ll clean a gun, but it sure as hell will clean your inside.
Truckers have a similar drink, bourbon and tuna fish juice, they call it The Lot Lizard

Yep, heat it up and it will start turning gummy. Once it's heated, it doesn't re-harden.
Actually, pretty sure it will but only under certain conditions. From Loctite:

Loctite threadlockers and retaining compounds do not dry: they cure in the absence of air. This is why they are called anaerobic adhesives. Curing starts when the product is confined between close-fitting metal surfaces. Any excess adhesive outside the assembly, exposed to air, will not cure.

God I hope not. Been using it for years.
This. Grease and gunk never harmed any of my finishes. But in general its an action or gas tube cleaner.

Old hardened loc red.......I'd use heat gun on the area and then wipe off with rag with some solvent like Hoppes.

Back
Top Bottom