Anyone use the clip on eye glass attach. from Lyman or Merit?[Pic below]

yanici

NES Member
Here's a pic of something I might try. Need advice from you guys on whether it really works. I'm near sighted and my glasses correct for distance. This makes the gun's sights fuzzy if I wear them. So, I wear a pair of glasses that are sorta half power that the Dr. prescribed for computer use. These allow a nice view of the sights but the target is not too easy to see.

The gizmo in the pic below is supposed to allow for better viewing of the sights as well as the target. I dunno??

zmb2p1.jpg

If it is what I think it is, I believe it is essentially a peep sight aperture. Not quite sure about the exact science of it, but I think it is like the aperture on a camera where when very small, it increases the depth of field.

I purchased a bunch of the ones from the following link way back when they first came out:

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58827

There were two aperture sizes one for pistol and one for rifle and they stick right onto your safety glasses. My glasses are prescription for distance and once I got them put into the right spot, my groups improved noticably because the sight picture and target became a lot sharper. I also like them because I can't bump them out of position when I forget there is something hanging off my glasses.

Good luck,

Kevin

I use the Merit aperture with my targets pistols with red dots. It cleans up the dot and gets rid of the sunbursts making the dot more round. I think it really helps.

Bob

Thanks Kevin. One question though. You say they stick onto your glasses. Are they removeable and able to be reattached as needed? I would be using them on my regular glasses and would want them to be reusable.

Thanks Bob. I'm not intending to use a red dot at all. How do you like them for open sights? Are you near sighted, like me?

Last edited:
Yanici, I have used the Lyman product and a clip-on wheel from Hyskore with four different sized apertures on it. What I settled on was the EyePal, which I have been using for the past year on a weekly basis.

The EyePal uses static cling and a vacuum hold to remain fixed to the outer surface of your glasses. It peels off easily, and after a years use, I see no wear on the pistol aperture EyePal that gets the most use by me. The increase in depth of field when shooting with my progressive bifocals gets the rear sight, front sight and target in sharp focus.

The Lyman product runs in second place. It stands off slightly from the surface of the lens, and overhead lighting at an indoor range will produce glare on the surface.

The EyePal rifle aperture allows me to get close to the peep sight on my carbine without it becoming a large hoop, though I shoot mostly with an Eotech holographic sight or a magnified scope.

Go with the EyePal, I think you will be pleased with the results. [wink]

Thanks Make It In Mass. I'm near sighted and correct for distance. I can read without glasses easily but at about 2' and beyond things just start to go out of focus without glasses. My doctor set me up with computer glasses which just so happen to focus well on my pistol sights and allow me to see targets marginally at 20' and downhill from there on out.

Would I use the Eyepals on my computer glasses or regular glasses? Or are they only made for people who need reading glasses?

Thing is I hate to spend the $30 and find out they don't work in my case.

I have found that they work with my reading glasses as well as my distance glasses. They even work with non-corrective shooting glasses. They are a simple solution to an annoying problem. The price that was quoted, however, is a lot more than I paid 3 years ago.

Bill

Thanks Make It In Mass. I'm near sighted and correct for distance. I can read without glasses easily but at about 2' and beyond things just start to go out of focus without glasses. My doctor set me up with computer glasses which just so happen to focus well on my pistol sights and allow me to see targets marginally at 20' and downhill from there on out.

Would I use the Eyepals on my computer glasses or regular glasses? Or are they only made for people who need reading glasses?

My vision situation is similar to yours, I don't wear my glasses working on the computer but need them for distance. Wear the aperture on your distance glasses, adjusting the position until you find the "sweetspot" on the bifocal gradient that gets everything in focus.

I have even tried an aperture on non-prescription safety glasses and was surprised at the improved range of vision. Same principle as when we squint and get the image to sharpen up a bit. [smile]

Here's a pic of something I might try. Need advice from you guys on whether it really works. I'm near sighted and my glasses correct for distance. This makes the gun's sights fuzzy if I wear them. So, I wear a pair of glasses that are sorta half power that the Dr. prescribed for computer use. These allow a nice view of the sights but the target is not too easy to see.

The gizmo in the pic below is supposed to allow for better viewing of the sights as well as the target. I dunno??

I'm in the same situation as you. I use my "computer glasses" with handgun iron sights. The target does blur, but that happens even with eyes that don't need glasses. I have both a Merit Optical Attachment and an Anschutz version of the same thing. They do work as advertised and will help bring the target into focus. Of the two types I like the Anschutz more. It blocks a lot of stray light, is easy to clip on and off your glasses, and flips up completely out of the way when not in use. I find it harder to position the Merit for some reason, but that's probably just me. I have also used both with my regular glasses which have progressive lenses, but my computer glasses seem to work better for me.

You can experiment a little before spending any money. Take several pieces of dark masking tape or electrical tape. Use some small drill bits to make a different size hole in each piece. Try to make the hole as clean as possible without jagged edges. Stick one on your glasses and give it a try. Move the tape until you get it in a position that feels most natural when you take a sight picture.

It takes a little getting used to, but the small aperture does seem to help.

OK, thanks for all the input, guys. Charlie, the guy who makes and sells the EyePal units emailed me. I'm convinced that they work. I've ordered a handgun set of EyePals. I'll let you guys know what I think later. Charlie offers 100% guarantee. Can't ask for more than that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom