Applying for a tax-stamp and moving

doobie

Banned
If I apply for a tax-stamp and move before it is approved is this going to cause any problems? I'm currently renting and have no idea when I'll end up buying a house (hopefully in 2-6 months). I'll most likely go the Trust (but I won't start this for a month or two) route to bypass fingerprints, etc, and it's a bit faster.

If I apply for a tax-stamp and move before it is approved is this going to cause any problems? I'm currently renting and have no idea when I'll end up buying a house (hopefully in 2-6 months). I'll most likely go the Trust (but I won't start this for a month or two) route to bypass fingerprints, etc, and it's a bit faster.

The trust vs individual ownership question doesn't come into play with this.

When you apply for a tax-stamp, you have to supply the current address of the entity applying. When the stamp comes back, even if you've moved, the approved address is where the gun was made for NFA purposes.

As far as moving with an NFA item, if you stay in the same state, don't have to file any paperwork with the ATF. You CAN notify them, but its not required, and they won't send you a new form. If you're moving out of state, you must compete and submit for approval, a Form 5320.20, and indicate that the move is permanent. You will receive back from ATF an approved copy of the form assuming your desired move is legal. (For example, ATF won't let you transport, or move, a silencer into MA.)

--EasyD

To kind of add a question of my own to this thread.....does anyone know that when you apply for a tax stamp do you have to know what gun you are purchasing first? Like let's say there is a short barreled shotgun on-line that you want and you apply for the stamp and next thing you knwo the gun is sold to someone else. Would you be able to use the stamp for another short barreled shotgun or short barreled rifle perhaps?

To kind of add a question of my own to this thread.....does anyone know that when you apply for a tax stamp do you have to know what gun you are purchasing first? Like let's say there is a short barreled shotgun on-line that you want and you apply for the stamp and next thing you knwo the gun is sold to someone else. Would you be able to use the stamp for another short barreled shotgun or short barreled rifle perhaps?

You can't apply for the tax-stamp without having all the information (make, model, serial#, length, etc) about the gun in hand first. The tax you're paying is to transfer (or make) a specific gun, not just some generic one. The situation you describe can't happen.

If you're buying a SBS and are a MA resident, it must be a factory made gun. If the NFA item is coming from a non-MA resident or dealer, it must first be transfered to a MA FFL/SOT holder. It can then be transfered to you. (The only exception to this is if the item is C&R eligible and you have a C&R license. In that's case, it can be transfered directly to you on a Form 4.)

--EasyD

Back
Top Bottom