• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR-15 accessories

pj150

NES Member
Wow, lots of things happening in my life in the past few months. This new one is that I will be picking up a 'Black Evil rifle' of my own thanks to a friend. The offer was one I could not refuse plus the wife gave me the thumbs up on the purchase.

I have shot AR's in the past but not more than 10 rounds total. So I know pretty much just ficking the safety and pulling the trigger.

Here is what I know about it->
It's a Pre-Ban Colt ar-15 Sporter (SL prefix with a very low serial) and I believe what they call A2 configuration. It has the carry handle on the top with a peep hole as the aiming sight. It has the fixed stock with a trap door on the butt end which I believe is where the cleaning instruments are kept. 16" barrel with the flash prong on the business end. I didn't notice if there was a bayo lug though. I think this is the carbine model? The forward hand guard is really short as is the overall length of the rifle. I didn't measure it but the length seems to be only about 2.5' overall. The rifle seems very light compared to it's looks. It does come with 2 small/short mags. Not sure what the capacity of the mags are but I think I recall that they were 5 rounders. Seemed a bit large for only 5 rounds. But in any case, I will probably be purchasing additional ones.

Anyway, I have no working knowledge of these rifles and I'm looking forward in fiddling and learning as I go with this rifle. Looking back at some threads, I suppose I will need to study up a bit at ar-15.com since I don't think the manual comes with it. I'll need to figure out how to field strip it, clean and put it all back together. I have also heard that with the shorter light barrels, I should wait 5-10 seconds after each shot to let the barrel 'cool' so that I don't warp it. Sounds like it's a bit excessive no?

As far as accessories, I see that pretty much as long as you have deep pockets, you can get anything to bolt on it. I have read all about how the pre-ban 'lower' is the important piece and how you can configure the rifle to just about anything.

Any suggested items? Not looking to deck it out with tactical stuff and look like a dork at the range. Just good ideas with tried and true stuff I can get beforehand.

Definitely will post pics when I pick it up next weekend.

I like my AR's simple. For starters, I'm assuming it has the fixed carry handle. I bought a cheap Eurolux 4x AR15 scope, (mounts in the carry handle) for a whopping 40-bucks shipped. I've had it for years and it works like a charm. Bullet drop compensator, nice bright sight picture - it's a great little scope for not a lot of dough.

The mags sound like 20's and you'll want more of them. There's plenty in state, (I assume you're in MA?) and lots of prebans to be had elsewhere. Also pick up some 30's but make sure they're USGI - there's a lot of fakes out there and the steel USA mags have a lackluster reputation.

Get yourself a nice sling, (if it does not have one) and perhaps an AR15/M16 combination tool, a stock ring tool and you should be GTG.

Get on to AR15-type discussion threads, as there's much to be learned there. The beauty of a pre-ban, is that if you decide to "trick it out" you can put a huge variety of uppers up top. You can pretty make this a great utilitarian rifle, (M4 upper, buis sights Eotech), or Mall Ninja it up to the sky...The beauty of the AR, is that you can make it whatever you want it to be, (even change calibers), or leave it and enjoy it "as is" - congrats on your purchase!

Congrats and enjoy!

We have a link here in a Sticky on Manuals for the AR15 manual. Print it out and you'll save a few bucks.

One thing you wrote "may" not be true:

I have read all about how the pre-ban 'lower' is the important piece and how you can configure the rifle to just about anything.

This is ONLY true if the gun had been built (or kitted) in AW CONFIGURATION PRIOR to 9/13/94. Just because the lower was made then does NOT automatically make it pre-ban wrt legality of hanging evil features off of it. Some Advanced Search here (or on AR15.com . . . but it might be in the Archives there and you may need to be a paying member to access it, not sure) should give you a lot more details on this aspect of the law.

Thanks Len, I'm pretty sure this rifle was a complete one before that 94 date but I will make sure. I don't think I will be mucking with it to that extent anyway but in the future it may be different.

Doing some reading and there are alot of conflicting things going about. Most confusion comes with ammo and mags. Here's some of the things I've read.

Only buy USGI mags and USA branded stuff is crap.

5.56 is not really the same as .223. You can shoot .223 in a 5.56 but not 5.56 in .223. Something about higher pressure and tumbling because of bullet weight and the 1:7 or the 1:12 barrel twist rate.

Mil-spec ammo's good/bad depending on where it is made but the steel cased wolf is smelly and shoots like crap <Shrug>???

Plastic tipped bullets... Green tipped vs black?

Colts are built different but they are worth more. Something about the need for spacers or special tools if changing uppers or something like that.

Looks like I have alot to learn and more reading/experimenting on my own.....

USGI mags GOOD, "USA" brand mags JUNK! Watch out for post-ban mags in MA as possession is a felony.

Wolf is fine in a mil-spec chambered AR. Shoots OK for practice but certainly isn't match ammo. Does smell some. I've had no problems shooting probably 3K+ in 4 different ARs. Do NOT use Wolf in match-chambered ARs.

You pay more for the "prancing pony", but you aren't getting a better gun for it. Bushmaster and Rock Rivers are two of the best and not real expensive. Olympic Arms has poor quality control, thus best to stay away.

IMNSHO the value of pre-ban is being able to put a true collapsible stock on it so different folks (or different clothing, e.g. Winter jackets vs. Summer T-shirts) can still fit the gun to their shoulder properly.

You pay more for the "prancing pony", but you aren't getting a better gun for it. Bushmaster and Rock Rivers are two of the best and not real expensive. Olympic Arms has poor quality control, thus best to stay away.

Len, there are quality differences between a Colt/LMT and other
tier one guns, to everything else. Whether it is worth paying for those
differences or not (eg, MP tested bolts, properly staked gas keys) is up
to the buyer's discretion. If the buyer is a casual user none of it will make
a real difference. IMO anything other than an Olympic or Hesse/Vulcan can
generally be made usable, so thankfully most of the options out there are
pretty decent overall. While I own a Colt I would have just as readily
picked up a Bushmaster if I had been able to find one at a decent price.

The most common, noticeable difference is that the Colts that are floating
around out there will tend to have 1/7 twist barrels, while most bushys
and others are 1/9. This may make a difference if the buyer wants to
run heavy bullets or not. Course if the gun is a mutt gun and has a
different upper on it than what it came with, it could have anything.

-Mike

As far as accessories, I see that pretty much as long as you have deep pockets, you can get anything to bolt on it.

you bet your ass you need deep pockets

03_22_2.jpg

04_09_0.jpg

thats over $3000 worth of rifle right there

Preban Bushmaster $1200
New Stag Milspec complete upper $450
A.R.M.S. BUIS $75
EOTech 552 Military model $425
A.R.M.S. SIR System $375
Surefire M96 Light $350
RRA DEA Buttstock $90
ERGO foregrip and pistol grip $50
Specter gear 3 point sling $40
Preban Beta Mag $325

not to mention all the preban 30 round mags and ammo to keep my baby happy

Holy crap, the only thing missing is the kitchen sink. If we are ever in a fight or flight situation I will make sure I will be right behind you as you will be clearing the way with that thing.

I think for the immediate future, I will just go with a collapsable buttstock, some kind of optic for it (acog?) and a few more mags. I still have to save up for the ammo to feed it.

On another note, how do you folks feel about the .22 adapter kit for the AR? Should I even bother or is it pure junk?

I have the Ciener .22 adapter and it works great. Nothing better than plinking 500 rounds and realizing you have spent $15 instead of $150 on ammo.

The high capacity .22 mags are expensive and preban are hard to get ([angry] ) but the .22 high velocity copper plated rounds shoot to nearly the same point of impact at 50 yard as the .223.

On another note, how do you folks feel about the .22 adapter kit for the AR? Should I even bother or is it pure junk?

I was going to start a thread asking the same question.

I have the Ciener .22 adapter and it works great. Nothing better than plinking 500 rounds and realizing you have spent $15 instead of $150 on ammo.

The high capacity .22 mags are expensive and preban are hard to get ([angry] ) but the .22 high velocity copper plated rounds shoot to nearly the same point of impact at 50 yard as the .223.

Sweet [smile] IMNSHO you can never have too many .22's to plink with, and the cooler looking the better. [smile]

I got my first AR, a Bushmaster, as soon as Deval Patrick was elected.

I like it a lot, but there are a few things I'd like to see different, and when I buy my next one (God willing) it will be.

First off, My Bushy is heavy. I carried a Colt in Nam for a year, and it was light and responsive. I liked the triangular forend, and the carbine version even better. I think my Bushmaster is twice the weight+ of an early Pre-Ban Colt Sporter.

Since I don't have to hump my AR 15-20 miles a day, I don't care too much, but the gun balances so differently. It's like the difference between a machete and a custom hunting knife.

The other thing I want is one of the Gas Piston firing systems. It makes too much sense to me not to have it.

It keeps the gun cleaner in the receiver where they usually jam from dirt, no need to worry about a fragile gas tube, no hot gasses are punching my bolt, and I think they are more reliable.

Even the Army has admitted the HK 416 system is better than what they use now, but they won't switch because of cost. While civilians can't buy the HK, there are other brands that offer the piston firing system. I think even Bushmaster is making one now

Woo Hoo!

Picked up the rifle Saturday. It's actually marked as a Colt Sporter 'Lightweight'. Not sure what the differences are but I sure like it. Can't wait to bring it to the range and try it out.

Will post pictures in the photo bragging section of the forum later.

Back
Top Bottom