• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR-15 Magazines

I just bought my first AR-15 yesterday (yay!). It’s a preban Colt HBAR, and based on my first trip to the range last night, I’m very happy with it. However, I’m having trouble with the magazines I bought along with it.

It came with one standard Colt magazine, which works great but only holds eight rounds. So I bought two more mags from the same shop – a 20 round (probably used) and a “new” 40 rounder.

The 20 round mag works fine through the first 19 rounds. However, after the 19th round is fired, the bolt will lock back like the mag is empty. When I look in the chamber, the 20th round is sitting on top of the mag – not in the mag, just floating there. If you tilt the rifle sideways or drop the magazine, the round will fall right out.

The 40 round mag won’t even fit into the rifle. If you really jam it in there, it will go in, but it won’t lock and won’t feed. And forget about getting it back out – I basically had to lay the rifle on the ground and step on it to pull the mag back out.

My first question is, what should I do with the mags I have? I’m assuming the 40 rounder needs to be returned. Is there anything I can do to fix the 20 rounder, or should I return that one as well?

The second question is, where can I get good mags for my rifle? Is there anything (available in Mass) equivalent to the Wilson mags I have for my 1911? I’m not even concerned about capacity – while eventually it will be nice to have some reliable 30 rounders (just in case), for now I’d be happy with a hand full of good, solid, super reliable 10 round magazines.

Also, does anyone have any input or suggestions for the first time AR owner? Any must have accessories that will make my life easier? What about amm? I tried a half dozen brands I found at the shop, and the IMI (Guatemalan military surplus, I believe) seems to be the best bang for the buck.

Thanks!

-Chris

Get USGI preban mags. Colts are one good brand, but there are others too, just as long as they're USGI quality. They come in mostly 20 and 30 round sizes.

They're not that much more expensive if you get them from people posting them here or other places like AR15.com. Every once in a while somebody will unload ten or twenty of them for cheap so no reason to go too crazy chasing them down as long as you have a few that work.

AR15.com probably has some posts on how to tell a USGI mag from a non-USGI mag.

You might be able to fix it with a wolf spring and a USGI follower, but that's the problem... might. Save yourself the trouble and bring them back (if the store will take them!). Life is too short to putz around with bad mags.

I like local gun stores for lots of reasons, but boy do the ones around here have a lot of crap AR mags. And they know what they're selling.

Last edited:
I believe all hi cap mags must be pre-ban in order to be legal in Mass. New post ban mags most be 10 rds or less in order to possess. Did the store sell you a new 40 rd post ban mag in MA?? Return it ASAP.

I got my 30 rounds mags from FS when they had a sale but they may be all out....

I like the 20rd magazines better also. I've had much less trouble with them.

I recommend those chamber cleaning stars, they are cotton brushes shaped like the bolt chamber, so you can get them in and scrub around the front of the chamber, it's almost impossible to do with a toothbrush.

Being a new AR owner I was wondering the same thing about mags. I haven't had a chance to shoot mine since I got the upper, but have 2 mags I bought at the Big E show last year when I got my lower. They're old military mags with the green followers and the springs seem strong still. Helped that I was walking around with a guy that shoots ARs in high power and he suggested the 2 mags that I bought.
I've heard the biggest reliability problem people have with ARs is magazine quality. I'm guessing its a lot like Mini 14 high caps.

I've seen Colt branded preban 20's advertised often on ar15.com

I grabbed 6 of them many months back and they all run flawlessly.

Zero Hour in Easton has preban steel 30 rounders, they also run perfectly in my weapons

The military never released 40 rd mags for ARs! Most likely these are "USA Brand" mags which are PURE JUNK! Also likely, they are post-ban hi-caps (felony in MA).

USGI (any USGI marked brand will do) pre-ban 20 rd mags almost always work best. If any problems, it is worthwhile disassembling and cleaning the mag. If still a problem, replace the spring (Wolfe is the best aftermarket springs) or get rid of it.

USGI 30 rd pre-ban mags will work OK if clean and in good shape. They are ALUMINUM bodied, NOT steel!

Beware that many new steel 30 rd mags are being sold as "pre-ban" but are NOT pre-ban at all. Yes, even some gun shops are selling such mags . . . they may or may not be aware of said provence. [I got a "heads up" on this by a Fed not long ago.] In fact, I'm sitting here with 14 refurb'd pre-ban USGI 30 rd mags that I bought from someone who replaced these with new mags made by the company I refer to (obliquely) above . . . he lives in a "free state" and bought the new ones on a group purchase at another forum. Mfr in question wasn't even in business in 1994!

Caveat emptor!

+1 on the USGI mags. I have around 30-35 or so (pre-ban 20 and 30 rounds), and have never had a problem with any.

Is the 40 round manufactured by USA?

Stay well away from any of their mags as they're well known for being pieces of junk.

The following mag FAQ is recommended reading for all AR-15 owners...

http://magfaq.tripod.com

The military never released 40 rd mags for ARs! Most likely these are "USA Brand" mags which are PURE JUNK! Also likely, they are post-ban hi-caps (felony in MA).

There -were- some british steel 40 round "sterling" mags around, and those are
definitely preban. Apparently they don't work too badly, but they are
pretty hard to find. I saw them a few years ago but I was an idiot for
not picking up a few. They're not "USGI" but they work decent from the
reports I've heard. Thermold also made a halfway reliable 40 round mag that
had this weird collapsing feature. They didn't make a ton of them though and
are pretty rare.

-Mike

Last edited:
anyone have a good source for preban USGI 20s?

You can frequently find them at gun shows, but often they want too much
money for them. ($20+ is common).

IMO the 20 and 30 rnd mags are reliable, if the mag is decent. The 20 rounders
are great for shooting off a bench, though. I have like 3 of
them, and they all work great. One is a Colt and I think the other
two are universal/simonds or whoever else made them.

-Mike

The green followers make it more difficult for the bullets to nosedive while the magpull followers complete prevent this issue. Granted, I have used magas with black followers with no nosedives I can remember, but personally, I would rather, at the very least have green, although my goal is to outfit all my mags with magpull followers.

The green followers make it more difficult for the bullets to nosedive while the magpull followers complete prevent this issue. Granted, I have used magas with black followers with no nosedives I can remember, but personally, I would rather, at the very least have green, although my goal is to outfit all my mags with magpull followers.

+1. I've used them all and even though I haven't had trouble with the chinsy
followers I would not go back to them after using magpuls. For the $3 a mag
it's cheap insurance.

-Mike

At Zero Hour we have the 30 round steel mags, however after much discussion about pre ban and post ban mags in this lovely state we made sure as to the fact these were manufactured pre MA ban.
These are Military contract mags, just not US military!
They were made for Singapore or some place like that and are sold as surplus mags still in the wax paper but packaged in plastic.
I assure you, these are pre ban mags. They seem to function flawlessly for those folks who actually like those 22 rifles!
I for one, am a .308 man!
15 bucks each, some fanatics change the floorplates and followers with the Magpul stuff we sell.

Anyone have an answer to the second question in this post about the last round in the mag floating around and not loading properly? I have a new stag arms lefty which is great, but I have had the same issue a few times?

Anyone have an answer to the second question in this post about the last round in the mag floating around and not loading properly? I have a new stag arms lefty which is great, but I have had the same issue a few times?

My guess is a weak spring, which allows your last round to nosedive and activate the hold. Replace the spring and even the follower, (cheap) and you should be GTG. As far as the 40's - I'd take it back - they're junk. However every single 30-round mag, including my Israeli Orlites run flawlessly. I have two USGI Cooper Industries that are tight and don't drop free. I "tweaked" the thrid to work, (2x4), but the other 28 30 rounders and 10 20 rounders have always just run. Some of my 20's are so beat it's beyond belief, but they just run and run...

There are tons of preban AR-15 mags out there and yes, there are in fact 30-round steel military mags, (none are USGI). As was stated, stay far, far away from USA Mags - (likely the manufacturer of your 40), pure garbage.

Back
Top Bottom