AR-15 trigger issue

AR-15 guys, I recently bought a cheap AR-15 Carbine on Gunbroker, brand NiB. When I took it to the range to test it out, it fires when the trigger is pulled (as it should) then when you release the trigger to reset for another shot, it fires again. Any ideas? and no I don't want to send it back. Is there a part in the trigger group I could just replace? or would I need to replace the entire trigger group? thanks.

bad sear. had this happen to a buddy of mines DPMS LPK (had less than 100 rounds through it at the time). sometimes ya just get a bad one. we swapped the trigger group (trigger/hammer/disconnector), and havent had a problem since.

AR-15 guys, I recently bought a cheap AR-15 Carbine on Gunbroker, brand NiB. When I took it to the range to test it out, it fires when the trigger is pulled (as it should) then when you release the trigger to reset for another shot, it fires again. Any ideas? and no I don't want to send it back. Is there a part in the trigger group I could just replace? or would I need to replace the entire trigger group? thanks.

The disconnector timing is off. The "sear" is the trigger itself.

The disconnector timing is off. The "sear" is the trigger itself.

I agree, I would think its a disconnector spring issue. Change the spring out or do yourself a favor and get a Geissele, you cant go wrong with any of the triggers they offer.

agreed, somewhat, and +1 on a gieselle (i have them on all my rifles), but remember, his rifle is going off again when he releases the trigger. there are technically 2 "sears", one on the trigger itself, and one on the hammer. they have to be in proper alignment and engagement to work properly. These things can wear out, trust me (between centerfire and .22lr in my main gun, i probably run 8-10k rounds a year through one of my lowers

the disconector catches the hammer so it doesnt follow the BCG. when the trigger is released, the disconnector lets go of the hammer, and the sear catches the hammer (and is now ready for the next shot to be fired)

his disconnector is working properly, as the hammer isnt following. his sear engagement is screwed up (likely rounded off) if its not catching the hammer after the disconnector releases it

Call the manufacturer. they dont like hearing stories about their guns (especially "NIB") going off when they're not supposed to. all contact the seller on GB and let them know. I'd be willing to bet one of them will send you a new trigger pack.

Last edited:
I contacted the seller, no response, and based on their feedback I don't think I will get one. I think I might just buy a new trigger assembly. A Geissele would be nice but I can't justify an expensive high quality trigger in a cheap bargain basement AR.

I contacted the seller, no response, and based on their feedback I don't think I will get one. I think I might just buy a new trigger assembly. A Geissele would be nice but I can't justify an expensive high quality trigger in a cheap bargain basement AR.

A quality trigger is a good investment in any gun. I believe JP has a trigger assembly for less than $200. Try Brownells.

Kyle, PM me your address. I'll send you a milspec trigger pack (or i'll send it to murphy and you can grab it from him). i think i still have one or two kicking around in the toolbox

Kyle, PM me your address. I'll send you a milspec trigger pack (or i'll send it to murphy and you can grab it from him). i think i still have one or two kicking around in the toolbox
You beat me to it. I probably have one or two rattling around here.

Dan S is correct. You do not need a new trigger group - just a new disconnector (maybe - even these can be peened - although not the best repair). Take it to a professional gumsmith (Dave Santurri is in N. Attleboro if you're in the greater Boston area).

Back
Top Bottom