AR-15 Upper compatibility question

So the other day I bought an NES Remsport lower from a fellow member here on NES. I bought it with the intent of buying an upper and sticking my Colt Sport Lightweight aside as it's just too nice to shoot ( I know I know no such thing right? [wink]) . Today I took the lower out to my fathers where I keep all my rifles for the time being and just for shits and giggles took the upper off my colt and put it on the Remsport lower. I noticed that the front pivot pin that holds the two together are very much different, and there is considerable amounts of play when combining the two.

My question is, is this because the colt upper is made and mated specifically for the colt? And if I were to purchase any particular upper is there anything I need to do to get a nice snug fitting upper for the remsport lower?

Sounds like you have a "large hole" upper, early Colt uppers had different size pins front and rear.
They make an adapter for the large hole upppers to make them fit the current mil spec.

Sounds like you have a "large hole" upper, early Colt uppers had different size pins front and rear.
They make an adapter for the large hole upppers to make them fit the current mil spec.

Ya the front "pin" on the front is like a large threaded tube with a flat headed screw on it and then on the other side is a flat headed screw that threads into that "tubed" piece. I figured it was something more along the lines that my upper on the colt is older and meant for the colt rather than the remsport not being compatible. So this just means I'm gonna have to have TWO kick ass AR's [smile] God I love guns!!!

It goes without saying, but nonetheless, DO NOT even THINK about firing the mis-matched upper/lower unless you have the off-set front pin to make everything good.

Yup, had the very same thing happen to an old Colt A2 upper on a RRA lower, large front hole, got the pin adapter thingamajig and blasted away. think I paid 7 bucks a few years back and as Pat said, do not even think of testing it out. God I do love guns and the sport of collecting them or is it the sport of shooting them?!

Once you get the conversion pin, you can take up any slop etween the upper and lower with an accuwedge. They are about $5

Don

accuwedge.jpg

Back
Top Bottom