• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR and AK magazine replacement parts kits

Gents,

I am looking for replacement followers, springs, and floor plates for both AR and AK magazines. I looked at APEX and priced out the AK parts at about $15+....WTF?!? That's almost a new magazine!

Does anybody have any recommendations for high-quality, (relatively) inexpensive kits with non-tilt function?

Thanks a lot!

- Phil -

Thanks for the suggestions, duders. I did some more research online, and I'm going to rehab all of the magazines and components. Specifically, the advice I read from a few places was to soak all the components in Coca-Cola for a few hours, and that that would eat off all the rust and muck.

Thoughts?

Coca cola is a capitalist drink that dissolves communist hopes and dreams. Phosphoric acid (prep etch found at Home Depot) will do the same as paint stripper, but doubt it would work for gunk.

Do you have a problem with those mags feeding? If steel is not bent and most springs lasting a long time, you could just clean them well, put back together, use them. You can use just a regular brush to clean crevices with some gun cleaning solution.

I like Brownells alumihyde, the KalGuard products are also quite good. For AK mags, you could probably do well with Krylon.

In the past with used mags I have bought, I would scrub them in soapy water and rinse well then alumihyde them if they needed painting. I they were just dirty I would wipe them down with silicone cloth or a rag with some WD-40 and then let it dry and reassemble. Has worked well for a number of years now.

I use these for every used AR pre-ban mag I own. Clean the mag and throw the original spring and follower away.

cdnn_2267_343003872

And, now they're in stock again!

why paint them? cosmetics?

it'll get worn off from rubbing against your mag well. Then it'll properly look like shit again.

russians used black paint after years of bluing their magazines. So did the egyptians. The germans used bluing. The romanians used some sort of oxide finish. The bulgarians used black paint.

I don't do shit to mine, except sometimes I put stickers on them.

Back
Top Bottom