• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR build in MA. Now AR-9!

Dont forget about the height as well.
If you have a 50mm objective? Front lense, you have to account for that hitting the top rail.
Also room for the charging handle actuation as well

It's here and it's a beast. Weird thing is from lense to turrets seems shorter than my Swampfox arrowhead. For that reason I think I'm gonna go with the more traditional mount so I can place the scope a little further back. 20220909_172908.jpg

Depending on the size of your noggin, you might need a bit of a cheek riser on the stock at full power.
Something to consider as I’m still adjusting mine to get it right.

This thing is a beast. What's the trick to screw the front shade/flip-up cover so it lines up correctly? I can tighten down the rear flip-up cover but the front seems like it's permanently on the shade thing.
20220913_181326.jpg

It should just twist into place.
If you continue tightening it should just continue to rotate, the cap I mean.
It doesn't. The cap screws onto the shade. If I unscrew it enough to be straight it rattles and feels loose. They're also kinda awkward to close. Seems the swampfox ones are better!?

With it tightened when I flip it open it opens into the rail. It's not like it's just a little crooked lol
hmm.
it is highly unusual for the actual plastic cap thing on the scope hood to have threads. usually it simply rotates around and sits there by traction. i cannot tell from the picture you posted.
do a quarter turn back and loctite it then.
dunno what you need that long extension hood for anyway. it helps with contrast on long scopes against the sun, but, it is not critical. looks kinda cooler with it for sure, but it is mostly for looks, not for function.

So you should be able to unscrew it with a little effort and move it to the scope without the extension.
As long as your rings are torqued right you shouldn't have issues with your zero. And like you can see in the video, you can move the cover around in one direction without unthreading it from the scope to have it open exactly how you want.

It ran flawlessly at the range I just couldn't get it dialed in! I really don't think I was misdialing the scope adjustments that badly so I'm not sure what's going on.

It ran flawlessly at the range I just couldn't get it dialed in! I really don't think I was misdialing the scope adjustments that badly so I'm not sure what's going on.
Elaborate, and give details. You took any pictures?

No pictures. I actually wonder if I was dialing the adjustment knob in wrong direction. The elevation knob says impact up with an arrow. I think I was making it worse.
It happens. Up is usually counterclockwise.

start from 25yds, get bolt out, lay the upper on something, look through the barrel and rotate the elevation turret to get it aligned with the spot you see through the barrel. this can (and should) be done at home before going to the range. then shoot it there, zero at 25yds, then move it to 50 and finish there.

Last edited:
Well I figured out why zeroing the scope was so impossible. It was shifting! It had warned about over tightening. I was worried I had them on too tight but I guess I need a torque limiting screwdriver now. The good news is my X95 aimpoint pro is still zero'd and as fun as ever.

Well I’m late to the party on this one. For that I apologize. I got excited about the AR-10 build, and wanted to say you could closely copy my “cheating stick”.
Here in Arizona freedom I have a lot more leeway on “evil features”. But I did a brief write up about sticking together an AR-10. It came about because my LGS had a stripped upper and lower in his case for months. And I finally asked about them. I won’t rub in what I paid, but it was a song. I didn’t really want to do a .308, as I didn’t want to add any more reloading dies right now. Then younger brother pointed out I already load 6.5 manbun, and the barrel is the only actual change.
Also Leupold discontinued the Mk4 line. So for those that know. In country on the Barrett M82’s we run the Mk4 4-14 power scope’s. So midway has them on sale for $700
Long story, I ended up with an AR-10, with an 18” Faxxon 5r barrel, with fancy Leupold glass on it. Brother was one of the original folks with OSS suppressors, so I happened to have a “banner brake” in .308. It got a larue SPR-E mount, a JP rifles captured silent spring, and a CMC single stage trigger. Ended up being the one I always bring to the range.

Anyone have experience with this case?

I have to take some measurements but I think it will fit.

Finally getting it on paper but it's still 6 inches low at 50 yards and I've almost maxed my height adjustment. What's the fix a new mount? Mounting it further forward?

Finally getting it on paper but it's still 6 inches low at 50 yards and I've almost maxed my height adjustment. What's the fix a new mount? Mounting it further forward?
frankly i am not sure how is it possible, as it should not be so with neither standard nor 20moa mounts. show a picture of the mount pls, on a gun.
do you have a link to the mount? is it by any chance - and sorry, i do not mean anything - it is not a 20moa mount installed backwards, right?

ps. i would consult with the builders - as i presume they did put it together, bring it to them to review, may be. it probably will be the easiest path.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom