AR suggestions $1000 range

I was thinking about getting a new AR-15 rifle. I was thinking about the bushmaster ORC carbine. I have about $1000 to spend and want to get something that I could put a eotech scope on. Does anyone have suggestions other then DPMS, Rock river, amorlite and colt.

I also just bougt a Bushmaster carbon 15 97s pistol and am looking for a laser sight that I can attach to the bottom picitinny rail. any suggestions?

thanks

In that price range, I would rate RR and Stag above DPMS and Bushy.

Next price; Colt 6920, LMT or Defensive Edge.

Even better would be LWRC

I appreciate the sentiment, but I am not a dealer. Just trying to lend a hand.

If you want to shoot mine before you buy, let me know

Highly recommend the Stag. I have the Stag M4 in 5.56 with an EOTech 551 and love it. I actually bought the version with the carry handle but it easily removes to put the EOTech on. Reason I chose the carry handle is b/c I have a 4x illuminated scope on that incase I want to do some long range shooting. I can go back and forth without any trouble. The gun shoots great and their customer service is fantastic. I was shooting a bunch of crap steel ammo when I first got it and actually sheared off the tip of the extractor. Called up Stag and I had a brand new extractor (with spring) to my door in 2 days with no questions asked. I paid $850 here in MA if that helps.

I have a Bushmaster lower with a RRA upper that I put together myself, goes bang every time and is more accurate then my abilities.
I think my final cost was around $800 and change. I have no problem recomending either co. on qaulity, but if you order anything from RRA be prepared to wait a couple of months for it, they sure take their time.

A pic of my rifle can be seen here:
http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=361786&postcount=11

Build your own...You'd be surpised on how much MORE gun you can buy with 1000 bucks if you buy it ni parts and put it together yourself in your cellar. [wink]

Problem is that he will be spending part of the money budgeted for tools to put it together if he doesn't know anybody that has them.

Home-builds are great for learning and experimenting with if money is tight. After reading enough ( especially Pat Rogers articles in SWAT magazine ) and seeing just a small taste of what he says, I'm not so much of a fan of that anymore. Granted, even the factory can put out a dud but for the most part they get it right. The 2 day rifle class had at the low end a DPMS carbine that we had to work on ( I had the tools - the Tactical Response guy was the weapon guy ) twice. First mistake was a loose bolt carrier key that wasn't staked. Second mistake was the buffer tube that rotated and kinked the selector switch spring. Not a good showing for DPMS and why I'm not a fan of the whole rifle they make - I'm okay with their parts. Funny thing was the guy with the Carbon-15 rifle - he had no problems at all!

If you're gonna spend the money, get at least 1 AR that is either totally factory ( from a good maker like Colt, RRA, or Bushmaster ) or from groups like LMT or Defensive Edge. The factory gun should be good or they will take it back and the others will take care of you. If I was in a free state and looking for another AR, I probably would be looking at one of the Colt LE series stuff as a start or going thru one of the makers ( CMMG, LaRue, LMT, etc.) Whatever you decide, please do your research before you spend the money.

This is all my point of view and worth $.02 on the open market.

Joe R.

Last edited:
Problem is that he will be spending part of the money budgeted for tools to put it together if he doesn't know anybody that has them.

Um.... I'm missing something here. What tools do you need to put together an upper and lower receiver and stock?

He's talking gun vice, barrel wrench, Buttstock Wrench, Sight tools, puches, nylon hammer, etc...though most of it you can do without them.

And even if you get a stripped lower, and a complete or partially complete upper, you can still save a few hundred bucks.

I just recently bought a Stag Arms M4 configuration. I love it.
My brother has a Bushmaster in the same configuration. Neither one of us has any problems .

You mean Autozone doesn't loan those out? (-:

Maybe we should have a "craft fair" where people who have the know-how and equipment can get together with those with a desire. Throw a few bucks for the instruction, and have a fun day building and then "testing".

No special tools are needed it you buy a complete upper. The stripped lower requires some punches and assorted tools you probably have laying around the hourse. In other words, no specialized tools are needed. See the guide on AR15.com.

That being said:

A Stag M4 Model 2H Complete upper costs you ~$500 from ar15sales.com - that includes the bolt carrier group. It's an A3 upper and includes a MI BUIS. Everything is also assembled for you. You can save yourself shipping by driving there yourself. He is in NH just over the MA line.

Stag stripped lower is ~$120. Look for a user called JDL sales on this forum. You can drive to Springfield to do the transfer in person and save yourself the FFL transfer fee. Lower parts kit is $60 from the same place.

Go over to MidwayUSA.com and pick up the ACE skeleton stock which is on sale this month for $59.

Total: ~$739. Throw in tax, shipping for the stock and you still come in under your grand limit. It's also cheaper than a Bushy.

Forgot to mention...you'll need a A2 buffer tube (assuming you use the ACE skeleton stock), buffer spring and buffer. Total cost for those 3 additonal items is ~$18 from MidwayUSA.

Last edited:
Contact me we can put something nice togather.
You will end up getting a lot more for your money.
413-579-1994
John
JDLSALES

I put the move on a Stag AR today. I have to wait the lame 7 day wait here in RI. thanks for all your help.

I was reserching this for a month or two then one night I get the idea to put up a thread, I got the info I needed, and got behind the mule the next day

thanks again

I put the move on a Stag AR today. I have to wait the lame 7 day wait here in RI. thanks for all your help.

I was reserching this for a month or two then one night I get the idea to put up a thread, I got the info I needed, and got behind the mule the next day

thanks again

Sweet. Good luck with it, and enjoy[mg]

Go w/ an LMT - you can get into a customized LMT w/ their 14.5 bar w/ perm attached muz break, DD Omega rail for around 1300. Can't go wrong!

Back
Top Bottom