AR15 M4 A3 Upper Receiver Chrome Moly 14.5"

Is this legal in MA? I saw it on another website.

AR15 M4 A3 Upper Receiver with Chrome Moly14.5" Barrel. 1-9 Twist. CAR15 / M16 M4 A3 Flat Top Upper HALF with 14.5" inch M-4 SHORT CARBINE BARREL with A2 Front Sight Post. This 5.56 mm chambered Chrome Moly barrel for an M-4 Short Government Profile Law Enforcement / Military carbine barrel is 14.5" long and threaded standard 1/2 x 28 tpi and has the distinct M-4 grenade launcher recess notch in barrel and bayonet lug. Mounted on Top of the Line STAG ARMS A3 Flat Top Upper for use with electronic or removable sighting systems..Also accepts detachable carry handle (see other auctions) USES SHORT CAR Length FAT M-4 Type 2 piece handguard with heatshield .. This barrel by E.R.SHAW is, without question, one of the finest M-4 AR15/M16 type barrels made - This barrel is machined from Chrome-Moly Vanadium steel - hardened to Rockwell C26.. This barrel has the HARD Manganese Phosphate Finish: the U. S. Government's recommended protective finish for steel - which affords complete protection against exterior rust. These barrels are 1-9 twist and are the standard M4 Government profile weight - which will help alleviate barrel whip and inaccuracy in semi and full auto fire. This barrel is button rifled with 6 grooves and lands - right hand twist 1 turn in 9" - which have been found to give the best shooting results with the widest variety of ammunition & comes with the 1/2 x 28 tpi (Upper receiver is complete LESS Bolt assembly and charging handle) ... This upper is FULLY ASSEMBLED GUAGED & HEADSPACED & ready to GO !!! Drop in your bolt assembly and charging handle and GO !!...Condition is Brand New Limited Quantity Available ..

Last edited:
You'd need an SBR (and kill the threads) or a welded brake on it.... and grind the bayo lug off...

Why would you shy away?

All you need is to add a break of some sort so your total length is a min. of 16" and pin it.

Then disable the bayo lug.

Simple stuff

mike look for a preban lower and you can put whatever you want on it

It's my understanding that you can't put a 14.5" barrel on unless the FS is permanently attached to bring it up to 16", other wise you have an SBR?

In terms of this upper, for the OP, lots of people don't like the 1/9 twist - it's not mil-spec and might give you trouble with heavy bullets. I have read that many manufacturers went to 1/9 to reduce throat wear? But, again, for many people the gold standard is mil-spec and that means 1/7/

It's my understanding that you can't put a 14.5" barrel on unless the FS is permanently attached to bring it up to 16", other wise you have an SBR?

In terms of this upper, for the OP, lots of people don't like the 1/9 twist - it's not mil-spec and might give you trouble with heavy bullets. I have read that many manufacturers went to 1/9 to reduce throat wear? But, again, for many people the gold standard is mil-spec and that means 1/7/

well maybe someone can clarify on that upper.

does anyone know if that upper is legal as it comes provided you have a preban lower to put it on?

im actualy thinking about buying it, i have a preban lower that needs a upper, and that has the features i want.

well maybe someone can clarify on that upper.

does anyone know if that upper is legal as it comes provided you have a preban lower to put it on?

im actualy thinking about buying it, i have a preban lower that needs a upper, and that has the features i want.

If put on a pre-ban lower, and the overall barrel length is a minimum of 16" including the muzzel device, you are o.k.

anything shorter and it is considered an SBR

You can have a 14.5' barrel but the upper will have to have an FH/Brake permanently attached that brings the OAL up to the length minimum of 16".

If I was building a custom gun I wouldn't choose a 1/9 twist, either, but that's
purely a matter of taste/preference. (I'm not sure why the industry has such a fetish with 1/9, other than it lets you shoot 45 grain varmint bullets and garbage like that, any accuracy loss with 55 gr bullets in 1/7 is negligible.

-Mike

You can have a 14.5' barrel but the upper will have to have an FH/Brake permanently attached that brings the OAL up to the length minimum of 16".
-Mike

Thanks Mike. That's was I thought.

So, for a pre-ban rifle, one has to decide if you want the shorter barrel with the FS permanently on it, or a 16" with a removable device. Of course, it's post-ban either one has to be permanently attached so the point is someone moot.

Don't buy chrome moly barrels. Ever.

Its a pieced together upper, as Stag doesn't use ER Shaw barrels. If it was all Stag, it would be easy, as Stag only sells 16" M4 barrels.

If its a 16" barrel with threads, its need to have a non-flash hider permanently attached and the bayo lug defaced to mount on a post-ban lower.

If its a 14.5" barrel, it needs to have a non-flash hider permanently attached to bring it up to or more then 16" and the bayo lug defaced, if being mounted on a post-ban lower. If the lower is preban, it can have a flash hider permanently attached with the same length requirements. If you own a 14.5" barrel and an AR lower at the same time, without having an MG/SBR/pistol lower, you're on the hook for a felony.

--EasyD

You shoot in your backyard? I need to stop renting and get some property!

I shoot in my front yard! Side yards, and backyard... and in the pit across the street.

Houses are nice. I need a lot more land though.

So are you saying he should only buy a stainless barrel? Even chrome lined barrels are made with chrome moly steel. Aren't they?

Nothing wrong with stainless. I personally don't like it cause I find it holds on to heat really well.

A chrome lined barrel may be made from chrome moly, and then plated, but that plating part makes all the difference in the world.

--EasyD

Back
Top Bottom