Archery targets in backyard?

That doesn't make sense to me...
why would they use the term "the land of another"

If the boundaries don't matter that word is totally unnecessary.

IAANAL :)

it just means you don't need written permission to shoot near your own dwelling but do need written permission to shoot within 500 ft of another person's dwelling.

Section 58. A person shall not discharge any firearm or release any arrow upon or across any state or hard surfaced highway, or within one hundred and fifty feet, of any such highway, or possess a loaded firearm or hunt by any means on the land of another within five hundred feet of any dwelling in use, except as authorized by the owner or occupant thereof.

No where in that law does it say anything about "Written Permission". The law as written, if you are asked if you have permission and you say yes by mr/mrs so and so. It is up to the government to prove differently.

you're right in that you don't need written permission but now YOU are WRONG that you even need permission. The LAW AS WRITTEN and as I posted it states you need to be authorized.

but we really don't need to keep nit picking this do we?

- - - Updated - - -

You have information that it has been interpreted in that manner, or a court decision? Anything?

I'm still confused by it.

ain't no law going to solve that

archery can be just as deadly as a gun, but it doesn't have the stigma. people see a bow and don't automatically call Elizabeth warren...

Unless you have one of these uppers
7a3u3emy.jpg

So, not to get off track here, but did we ever figure out if it was legal or not? I'm curious now.

Recently was surprised to find out it IS unlawful in my small Oregon town, but thankfully, completely unenforced. My mere suspicion is MA is similar. Can't recall ever having an issue with archery in my yard when I lived there, but I also can't imagine MA would forget to ban something.

Can't recall ever having an issue with archery in my yard when I lived there, but I also can't imagine MA would forget to ban something.

Neither can I. My brother & I used to practice pretty regularly in both the backyard & sideyard (i.e. shooting practically from the sidewalk into the backyard), in Newton no less. We grew up on a very busy street, and no one ever said a word and no LEO ever seemed to notice/care.

That section is interesting.

The way I read it, it doesn't prohibit firing within 500 feet of a dwelling on an adjacent property, it prohibits shooting within 500 feet ON land of ANOTHER within 500 feet of any dwelling. It does NOT say "OR within 500 feet" it is subordinate to being on the land of another.

If you're on your property shooting, you're not on another's land, you're not hunting or shooting across the property of another.

Maybe that's not the way the courts have interpreted it, but that's the plain language of what it says.

So have the courts interpreted it to mean shooting on your own property is prohibited if you're within 500 feet of a neighbor's dwelling without their permission for outdoor remote jobs?
So, after digging another one of my arrows out of the piece of wood I've been using as backing (also snapping 2 and losing the point of 1 in it) I'm wondering, how practical would it be for me to set up a sandbag wall to stop any missed arrows? It seems the best way to stop any arrows, especially I'm not sure where I can go to buy haybales.

So, after digging another one of my arrows out of the piece of wood I've been using as backing (also snapping 2 and losing the point of 1 in it) I'm wondering, how practical would it be for me to set up a sandbag wall to stop any missed arrows? It seems the best way to stop any arrows, especially I'm not sure where I can go to buy hay bales.
Hay bales are terrible for stopping arrows. They have soft spots and strip the fletching off of arrows.

Most archery ranges use chicken wire “cages” to hold packed rags (no buttons or zippers) because they work and hold up well. They do need to be kept dry though.

So, after digging another one of my arrows out of the piece of wood I've been using as backing (also snapping 2 and losing the point of 1 in it) I'm wondering, how practical would it be for me to set up a sandbag wall to stop any missed arrows? It seems the best way to stop any arrows, especially I'm not sure where I can go to buy haybales.
Go to tractor supply and buy a few horse stall mats. Then buy a case of beer and call a few friends to come over and hang them on the frame you built/installed. Just attach the mats at the top so they hang free. They will stop any arrow from getting off campus. I would not use sandbags as the sand will destroy carbon arrows.

Go to tractor supply and buy a few horse stall mats. Then buy a case of beer and call a few friends to come over and hang them on the frame you built/installed. Just attach the mats at the top so they hang free. They will stop any arrow from getting off campus. I would not use sandbags as the sand will destroy carbon arrows.

This is what I did. One mat with a bass pro target in front. Hay bales in bags but they don’t do much against a strong compound IMG_1738.png

IMG_1737.jpeg

Hay bales are terrible for stopping arrows. They have soft spots and strip the fletching off of arrows.

Most archery ranges use chicken wire “cages” to hold packed rags (no buttons or zippers) because they work and hold up well. They do need to be kept dry though.
Hay bales work just fine with <45# draw weights . I shoot my recurves all the time in my backyard. Definately don't recommend high poundage compounds at hay bales. Agreed , once you let the bales get wet, they are done .

I uh gotta ask lol... you miss that bad?
honestly.. I'm not that great a shot.. I do ok, but have an occasional flyer.. I don't practice enough

but it was made a few years back after I found my kid shooting at the target towards the neighbors above ground pool and lost an arrow into the dirt... we quickly went over that the gun rules also apply to archery.. know what's beyond your target. and I set this up so he didn't lose arrows into the woods..

Back
Top Bottom