are 3-d printer guns safe?

I don't have a 3-d printer but have a good friend that does. Frankly, the thought of using a gun printed from it scares me. How do I know that the source of the file I'm printing is trustworthy? The major manufacturers have been around for years. I feel safe with a Ruger, A Walther, a Glock, Colt, etc. Something with a good warranty is probably worth what it costs. That said, the idea is exciting. My friend has been using his for a while to make household objects- a phone holder, various brackets, pet dishes(that his wife discovered could not go in the dishwasher) He said that sometimes there's voids or thin spots in the objects. If You're not a programmer at the level he's at (genius IQ, post grad from one of the top engineering schools in the country) you wouldn't necessarily know how to pick the best file to use. He "reads" each file through before he prints it, Sometimes he still has failures, and/or slight inaccuracies that don't matter if you're making a picture frame. It's a good idea, but how does it work out in real life? Anyone have hands-on experience? BTW, my friend declined to print one for us, citing possible safety concerns.(liability,n too, I guess)

The Liberator is good for at least ONE shot. I'm not sure I would dare hold an exploding object in my hand like that for more than one though.

Unless you are printing the stripped receiver for an AR... That just holds the stuff together and the explosion happens in a part you buy. Better for safety.

You'd be surprised how much .22LR it takes to kill a 3D printed ABS barrel. By no means as accurate nor carries the same velocity nor energy as a machined barrel, but the low energy rimfire rounds, absent rapid fire, don't produce f$%^-all for heat or sharp pressure impulses.

like any other gun, it's a combination of materials, design, and craftsmanship. Craftsmanship is more or less a non-factor with 3D printed guns, so it's the design and materials. the Liberator is plenty safe. If the breech and barrel of a design are stout enough, the only limit to their strength is melting and temp-warping points.

You stick a real steel barrel and breech on an otherwise 3D printed gun and I bet it could last a lifetime

A guy I used to do business with I'd say about 5 years ago now (different industry) tested a few 3D printed AR lowers with various common printers and materials and to my knowledge was the first to do so. Couldn't make it through a magazine without catastrophic failure - and he's a manufacturer of ballistic devices by trade. With that said he was making an existing platform, testing in response to common misconceptions. I'm sure a 3D printer could make plenty of viable platforms with testing and the right materials. Can't say you're going to get much more than a one-(or two)-and-done compact piece out of all plastic and a roofing nail. The design that won the recent lawsuit was "neat" but could be replicated with a mechanical pencil and a staple gun for $5 at Harbor Freight.

I would feel totally comfortable using a 3D printed AR lower. Other gun designs frames take a lot more stress and strain so I would be a bit more hesitant.

A fully 3D printed gun is probably not safe. That is assuming the common fused filament process. There are much more exotic processes that can and have produced a fully functional 3D printed gun that presumably was safe.

Some 3D printed components would be perfectly functional and safe in some designs.

For example, a 3D printed barrel on an AR would certainly not be safe or functional.
A 3D printed bolt carrier on an AR might work for a little while and might or might not fail in a relatively safe manner.
A 3D printed AR lower using a modified design will probably work and fails in a generally safe manner.
A 3D printed stock, grip, or magazine will most likely work and fail in a safe manner.

You have to be able to do more than just download and print. You have to understand what you are printing, what it does, how it does it, how it is likely to fail, what happens when it does fail, etc.

3D printer files are largely like your Grandmother's muffin recipe where you have an ingredient list with no quantities or instructions. If you already know how to make muffins, you can probably take the ingredient list and the knowledge and experience you have and make muffins. If all you have ever done is push buttons on the microwave, you are going to end up with a soggy mess, not muffins.

Back
Top Bottom