Augason Farms Emergency Food Supply - A Review...

It seems like I'm running into more and more folks just beginning to prep. A sign of the uncertain times? Tinfoil? You be the judge I suppose, but the fact remains: Americans in increasing numbers are stockpiling everything from toilet paper to juice boxes for their own reasons. Prepping is nothing new to me. I've been rotating food stores for a couple of decades. While I'm no expert by any stretch, I do get more than my fair share of inquiries as to prepping and most frequently, what to buy to get going. My answer usually begins with: "Buy something - a can of stew, a pouch of tuna, a bag of rice - anything to get the ball rolling. One needn't buy a pallet of MRE's, (unless you can afford it), to adequately prep for anything that may lay ahead. Generally, a good bucket, some medium to long term food items and a place to store them is all you need, but the key as most of you know is to get the process started in the first place.

It seems more and more, 'big box' is jumping on the bandwagon. Retailers like Costco, BJ's, Sam's Club and others have been offering emergency food preps as part of their retail line for several years. WalMart has joined the fray in the last year or two as well and I spotted one of these buckets at a Wally World near North Reading a few months ago, checked it out and decided to pass. Recently, the Pittsfield store began to stock them, so I had a friend who works there, (wiredp) pick one up for me. I decided that rather than stash it with my other preps, I'd pick it apart piece by piece and offer my opinion on the product and its contents here for your information. Again, I am by no means an 'expert', but I have been in the game long enough to have sampled much of what's out there. I hope that even in a small way, it will shed some light onto the value - fiscally and nutritionally of the Augason Farms Emergency Food Supply...

I was planning on going into a long-winded review of Augason Farms history. I've decided to let you do that for yourself. Suffice it to say, that they've been around since the early 70's making long-term storage foods - many of which are whey based. Some of the first long-term food I purchased beyond MRE's were from Augason Farms:

http://www.augasonfarms.com/about_us

The item I purchased was the Augason Farms Emergency Food Supply. It's rated by Augason to be a 4-person, 72-hour kit, but they do indeed offer this kit, (with an included plan) as a 1-person 12 and 24-day food supply. I think that may be a bit of a stretch, but what do I know? It comes in a really nice, sealed Kirk Containers square bucket, (#34). The container has a very secure gasket lid and a zip-pull to open. You'll need a pliers, a lid lifter, or a screwdriver to get this open - the zip-pull is very secure and the bucket appears to be nitrogen flushed. The lid is on there. The bucket lists a net weight of 13lbs and the cost at Wally World is $64.99.

- Upon opening the bucket, the first thing I came across is two mylar packages. Neither of them are labeled, which I found to be frustrating. Is it rice? Maybe? Oatmeal? Soup? Who knows? I'm guessing one is rice, but the other will have to remain a mystery, (for now).

- Beneath the two 'mystery pouches', lay three 5.5oz pouches of 'Beef Flavored Vegetarian Meat Substitute', (aka: TVP)

- From there, twelve 2.9oz envelopes of 'Morning Moo Low Fat Milk Substitute', (aka: sweet whey powder)

- Then I hit more foil pouches - this time, they were labeled. First is a large mylar pouch of 'Vegetable Stew'. I can't find my kitchen
scale, but I'm guessing the weight at just under a pound, (will try to get an exact weight soon)

- Next was another mylar pouch of 'Cheese Brocolli w/ Rice' - estimated weight is over a pound.

- Then came Oatmeal, a pound estimated

- And lastly, 'Creamy Potato' - over a pound estimated

At the bottom of the bucket was a double-sided '12 and 24 Day Meal Planner' sheet and preparation instructions. I generally avoid vegetarian food supplies - my experience with them has not been great. However, I'm willing to give things the benefit of the doubt and the opportunity to improve. If this stuff is better than anything I've had from Wise, it may be a buy - at least to supplement existing food stores, get started, or have something quick and easy to stash in a bug-out location. I plan on sampling everything in this bucket and will report back here my findings, likes and dislikes, along with suggestions for either utilizing this resource, or passing on it altogether...

DSCF0448_zps84356f1b.jpg

DSCF0449_zpsaa65fad8.jpg

DSCF0451_zps06edd607.jpg

DSCF0452_zpsca082c2e.jpg

DSCF0453_zps24f94a4e.jpg

DSCF0454_zps17a50949.jpg

DSCF0456_zpsc446e7e0.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the review. Looking forward to future installments. I have starting noticing these everywhere. A vendor at the Marlborough show had these and even my local gun shop carries them now. Like you, I saw them at Wallyworld recently and almost bought some. Price seemed a bit steep to me after reading what was actually in it, and compared to what I pay for food I put up myself (mylar, caning, etc). Combined with the unknown palatability, I decided to pass for now but would like to know what you think. I may add them as a supplement to my stores or quick grab for a few days of food.
Interesting how this is becoming more mainstream now, being in the big box stores. I take it as a good sign that at least some people are waking up and are somewhere between scared and realizing the gov isn't there to help you.
Let us know what you think.

I look forward to hearing how it all tastes, and if you think it is really practical for a single person to be able to stretch this over many days while keeping open items from spoiling.

Thanks for the review. Looking forward to future installments. I have starting noticing these everywhere. A vendor at the Marlborough show had these and even my local gun shop carries them now. Like you, I saw them at Wallyworld recently and almost bought some. Price seemed a bit steep to me after reading what was actually in it, and compared to what I pay for food I put up myself (mylar, caning, etc). Combined with the unknown palatability, I decided to pass for now but would like to know what you think. I may add them as a supplement to my stores or quick grab for a few days of food.
Interesting how this is becoming more mainstream now, being in the big box stores. I take it as a good sign that at least some people are waking up and are somewhere between scared and realizing the gov isn't there to help you.
Let us know what you think.

Thanks Matty - I scoffed at the price as well. Especially when I consider that I got literally 10 times the weight in food, for 2 times the money at LDS. However, if this stuff is decent to eat, then it may be a nice supplement to my existing stores. Lets face it: if SHTF and someone's hungry, they'll eat school paste, but that said, there's a psychology - especially in in stressful times to food that tastes good and is nutritious. Hopefully this meets a little of both.

First Update: The Morning Moo's Milk Substitute is actually quite good. I just mixed two tbs into 1/3 cup of warm water, then added ice cold water to make 1-cup. Each cup contains 70 calories, 2.5g fat, 110mg sodium, 8g carbs, 1g sugar, 3g protein. Vitamin A - 8%, Vitamin D - 25%, Calcium - 10%. The taste was initially really good, though I was left with a slightly chalky aftertaste...If the price is right, I may buy a can or two of this to add to my stores.

We have the Morning Moo "milk" in our stores. It is good stuff. I tihnk it came from Honeyville.

A trick someone taught me a while back is to put just a little vanilla pudding mix into the milk once it is reconstituted. It gives the milk just a bit of flavor.

Update #2: I just made my first dinner with the Augason Farms EK. I decided on 'Cheesy Broccoli and Rice', TVP and a glass of Morning Moo.

I followed the directions exactly and cooked one serving of both the TVP and Cheesy Broccoli. Total cook time was about 20-minutes total. The TVP out of the pouch tastes a bit like Cat Chow, (yeah I ate it as a kid -so? [grin]). Cooked, it gains the visual consistency and smell of ground beef. It tastes fairly neutral - with just a hint of beef bullion flavor. It does have a slightly rubbery bite, but is not bad.

I never really got the Cheesy Broccoli to set up. I cooked it the recommended 20-minutes and it still had the consistency of stew and the rice was slightly undercooked. next time, I'll cook it a bit longer and reduce the water, (1 cup), to slightly under. I mixed the TVP into it, busted out some Pilot Crackers, made another glass of milk and sat down to eat. The flavor was really quite good. Broccoli pieces could have been bigger and like I said, the rice never quite set up, but I enjoyed it a lot - especially mixed with the TVP; which I think is the key to that stuff. On it's own TVP isn;t really that interesting, but it mixes well into other things and if you believe the label, is pretty nutritious. I'm still surprised by how much I like the milk substitute - it's really easy to drink.

So the dinner total: The resealable pouch has 18-servings, (1/3 cup mixed with 1-cup water). 250-calories + TVP + Milk = 410 calories for dinner. Add in the Pilot Crackers and you kick it up another hundred calories or so. The only issue for me - especially when I eat this type of meal is, sodium. I've not been diagnosed with a sodium sensitivity, but when I eat this stuff - I feel it. I need to drink a ton of water with this food, or I get headaches and chest pain. I'm into about 1200mg of sodium on dinner alone - toss in the Pilot Crackers (2) and I'm close to 1600mg, so drink lots of water before and after your meal kids...

I rate Backpackers Pantry meals some of the best I've tasted, Alpine Aire second, Mountain House third - sometimes better. Wise Foods would be at the bottom of the list. The meal I had tonight would be right underneath Mountain House and light years ahead of Wise as far as flavor and satisfaction in consuming it...

FYI, pretty much everything Auguson farms offers on their site is available at SamsClub.com for half the price or double the quantity vs their site (I'd imagine Walmart is somewhere in between, if available). I have a few items of their's in my storage. I also find their 45lb buckets of Wheat to be the best deal readily available other than driving all the way out and going through the hassle with the LDS cannery. I have a few of those too.

I recently reviewed their cheese powder (my write up: http://www.foodstoragecooking.com/index.php/review-canned-cheese-powder-mac-and-cheese/) and attempted the mac and cheese recipe on the can (fairly bad).

Also, I have been unable to get the powdered butter to work for anything other than adding in to baking mixes as a butter substitute (need to try adding different oils). Tried it on a dump cake reconstituted and it just burned in clumps.

The cheese powder is actually really good on crackers though once reconstituted as a spread, the wife has almost numbered a can and countless boxes of Ritz.

I've also posted my thoughts on their mashed potato gems. Not awful, has a little faux buttery taste added in... my biggest issue is the salt.

Last edited:
Mark, thanks for all the research and sharing.. I know I've mentioned it before but have you tried the Efoodsdirect meals yet? I think they are a bit more expensive than most but the quality is top notch. I bought a month's supply for two people to add to my other small stores..

Mark, thanks for all the research and sharing.. I know I've mentioned it before but have you tried the Efoodsdirect meals yet? I think they are a bit more expensive than most but the quality is top notch. I bought a month's supply for two people to add to my other small stores..

Garbage

Ok I tried broccoli and cheddar soup it was tasty but definitely salty. I'm ****ing thirsty as hell!
Sorry for the thread hijack..

Last edited:
Ok I tried broccoli and cheddar soup it was tasty but definitely salty. I'm ****ing thirsty as hell!
Sorry for the thread hijack..

It's not a hijack - it's contributing to the thread - thank you. I've been busy as hell, so I haven't sampled anything else yet. The thirst is normal - especially with these types of meals. Even the best of the best have high sodium. I've learned to combat this by adding slightly more water to the mix than I have to and pouring it off after the meal is prepared. Also, drink a full glass of water before and after.

- - - Updated - - -

I've read elsewhere that its standard TVP garbage, like Wise brands.

I'm not yet ready to throw the TVP baby out with the bathwater. The nutritional and protein component is good and the taste is sort of there, so adding it to a recipe to bolster nutritional levels makes sense...

It's not a hijack - it's contributing to the thread - thank you. I've been busy as hell, so I haven't sampled anything else yet. The thirst is normal - especially with these types of meals. Even the best of the best have high sodium. I've learned to combat this by adding slightly more water to the mix than I have to and pouring it off after the meal is prepared. Also, drink a full glass of water before and after.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not yet ready to throw the TVP baby out with the bathwater. The nutritional and protein component is good and the taste is sort of there, so adding it to a recipe to bolster nutritional levels makes sense...

It's not the TVP itself that's the issue, I understand the role it plays and what utility it offers... I have a few #10 cans of it myself... but it's what I understand to be the overall quality with these things. The Wise samples I've had were a joke... might as well have been salt water. I still have a piece of Wise Lasagna i'm afraid to try.

Mountain House on the other hand can almost pass for actual food and if I were looking for prepared meals that's where i'd go. Aside from that, I think people should store ingredients.

Well I have seen these buckets at a few walmarts myself for about $68.00. The stuff that sams,walmart,costco, and bj's offers online, looks like the #10 cans but they aren't. I was able to get a mixed case on a recent trip down south and was very dissapointed. The cans are noway filled like Mountain House or Provident Pantry, and the food really looked and smelled sub par, but I guess in a dire emergency you really can't be choosy. I will continue to buy my stuff from EE, since they do have the best price and the brands they carry are very good. You guys should get in and do the group buys that they have every month, they always tend to have some great stuff.

Charles.

I noticed they had these in the Tewksbury Walmart last night. A pallet full along the main aisle between the groceries and the pharmacy. I've got plenty of freeze dried stuff put back already, so I passed.

Wise brands are okay. The pseudo meat tastes like Bacos. The downside is the sodium. It is much saltier than Mountain House. If you email the or call them, they will send you a free sample.

By far the worst emergency food was the New England Style Clam Chowder MRE.

I tried the Walmart ones as a test, and my kids are not very pleased with the outcome. In order to dilute the high sodium, I've diluted the per portion with extra rice, supplemented with some canned black/kidney beans to extend the meals out - and balance the nutrition (cooking for 5 ). With other food stored, I have the option of using it for an occasional base. I don't think it was my best storage purchase, but it would be available as a changeup. My golden enjoyed her portion just fine.

Back
Top Bottom