AUGUSTA MAINE - Damon Bill to Address Firearms in National Parks

AUGUSTA -- A bill that would set clear guidelines regarding firearm possession in national parks in Maine will be heard by lawmakers next year.

Legislative leaders voted Thursday to allow Sen. Dennis Damon, D-Trenton, to submit the legislation after the deadline.

The bill is necessary because of a new federal law that changes the rules for bringing firearms into national parks and wildlife refuges. It leaves it to the states to determine how to regulate firearms at those facilities.

"This proposed legislation closely tracks the federal regulations governing firearms in national parks, which were in effect from 1982 to 2008 and successfully protected wildlife, kept visitors safe and prevented accidents during that 26-year period," he said.

Damon's bill would prohibit firearm possession in Acadia National Park, at St. Croix Island International Historic Site and on the Appalachian Trail.

Exceptions would be granted:

* for residential dwellings inside a park

* when and where hunting is permitted

* for firearms inside vehicles if they are inoperable or stored

* for law enforcement

Another unnecessary bill. These people do not know enough to leave such things alone. All they are doing is creating other areas such as school zones where the perps know they can attack without fear of being shot. Duh!

What are State politics in Maine like at the moment, does this new gun ban attempt have any chance of passing?

(I call it a new ban because the Federal law changes to make carrying in National Parks mirror existing State laws, they are therefore attempting to create a new ban to replace a Federal restriction that is going away)

Maine is very liberal and under one party rule. We already have socialized healthcare too!

Rule currently in Maine Parks:
"The possession and/or use of firearms or weapons is prohibited in all areas between May 1 and September 30, except where hunting is allowed during this period. Firearms or weapons may be transported across the Restricted Zone of the Allagash Wilderness Waterway, between May 1 and September 30, provided they are securely and completely enclosed in a cover, fastened in a case, or dismantled in at least two pieces in such a manner that they cannot be fired unless the separate pieces are joined together."

This is a rule of the park and violation of the rule is a class E crime, which is the least serious crime class.
http://www.maine.gov/doc/parks/programs/parkrules.html

Is it just me, or do you really need a firearm in a state park? I know if a bear comes along the shots might just piss them off, but at least it's something! I remember camping in the White Mountains when I was young and the Scout leader always had a .45 ACP with him for just such a situation.

Is it just me, or do you really need a firearm in a state park?

pic004.jpg

No, I'm saying isn't that the place where you really need one? Not saying do you need one.

OK. I'm tracking now. But please be more clear.

I've had one occasion where a firearm would have been very useful and I did not have it (because I chose to follow the law) and another where I thought I might have to need it, ended up I didn't, and felt much better because I did have it (legally) with me.

Both times this happened in state parks, one in KS the other in OH.

Bill to Outlaw Carrying in Acadia National Park
Heads to Senate for Consideration!
Please Contact Your State Senator Today!

On Wednesday, State Representative Walter Wheeler (D-151) voted in favor of creating a victim disarmament zone in Acadia National Park, thus breaking the tie (7-6) in the Joint Standing Committee on Criminal Justice. LD1737 will now head to the Senate with a recommendation that it "Ought to Pass."

The recently adopted federal law, which would allow the carrying of firearms in all National Parks, goes into effect on Monday, February 22. If enacted, LD1736 would nullify this important federal law within Acadia National Park, by disarming potential crime victims. This bill also defies Maine's Constitution which states, "Every citizen has a right to keep and bear arms and this right shall never be questioned."

Please contact your State Senator TODAY and respectfully urge them to oppose LD1737 when it comes to the Senate floor. Remember to tell your Senator that crime does not stop at the park gate and the right to defend yourself and family shouldn't either! Contact information can be found by clicking here.

THIS FROM A CLIENT:

Dear Representative:

In the next few hours and days you will be deciding on LD 1737 - An Act to Clarify Safety Requirements in Acadia National Park. Before you decide on this important issue I would like for you to consider some of these important issues.

The US Supreme Court, in all their wisdom, over turned previous efforts to limit firearms in federal parks. Now Maine, in what appears to be a knee jerk reaction, wants to limit that right. I grew up on Mount Desert Island and literally lived in the Park. In those years I witnessed crimes being perpetrated on the Park and against the users of the Park. Since then, crime in the parks in Maine and nationally have climbed steadily. The numbers of violent assaults are now common. By limiting the use of trained, approved firearms carriers in the Parks, this law guarantees that these assaults will go unchecked. The US Park Service simply does not have the money or personnel to protect citizens in their Parks.

Secondly, Maine’s Constitution states, “Every citizen has a right to keep and bear arms and this right shall never be questioned.” By limiting the use of approved firearm carriers in the Park, you will guarantee that groups within Maine, and nationally, will make major attempts to over throw this new law. This national effort could jeopardize other existing laws in Maine that are useful and needed.

In Maine, we pride ourselves on being pragmatic. In this case one can’t help but wonder if we aren’t violating our own well use axiom: “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!” As far as I can tell, we don’t have a problem with citizens who have approved permits carrying firearms in the Park. Let’s wait and see if we have a problem. If we do, fix it. If we don’t leave it alone! I appreciate you trying to be proactive but in this case it is best to wait and see.

THIS FROM A CLIENT:

Dear Representative:

In the next few hours and days you will be deciding on LD 1737 - An Act to Clarify Safety Requirements in Acadia National Park. Before you decide on this important issue I would like for you to consider some of these important issues.

The US Supreme Court, in all their wisdom, over turned previous efforts to limit firearms in federal parks. Now Maine, in what appears to be a knee jerk reaction, wants to limit that right. I grew up on Mount Desert Island and literally lived in the Park. In those years I witnessed crimes being perpetrated on the Park and against the users of the Park. Since then, crime in the parks in Maine and nationally have climbed steadily. The numbers of violent assaults are now common. By limiting the use of trained, approved firearms carriers in the Parks, this law guarantees that these assaults will go unchecked. The US Park Service simply does not have the money or personnel to protect citizens in their Parks.

Secondly, Maine’s Constitution states, “Every citizen has a right to keep and bear arms and this right shall never be questioned.” By limiting the use of approved firearm carriers in the Park, you will guarantee that groups within Maine, and nationally, will make major attempts to over throw this new law. This national effort could jeopardize other existing laws in Maine that are useful and needed.

In Maine, we pride ourselves on being pragmatic. In this case one can’t help but wonder if we aren’t violating our own well use axiom: “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!” As far as I can tell, we don’t have a problem with citizens who have approved permits carrying firearms in the Park. Let’s wait and see if we have a problem. If we do, fix it. If we don’t leave it alone! I appreciate you trying to be proactive but in this case it is best to wait and see.

+5

Committee Reconsiders Park Carry Prohibition
Please Stand-Up and Make Your Voice Heard!

Yesterday, Friday, February 26, the Joint Standing Committee on Criminal Justice voted 7-5 to reconsider LD1737 with an amendment that would allow permit holders and law enforcement officials to carry concealed firearms in Acadia National Park. This amended version is a critical step forward in assuring the right of self-defense for the law abiding.

The federal law, which allows the carrying of firearms in National Parks, went into effect earlier this week. Without this important change, LD1737 would nullify federal law within Acadia National Park, by disarming potential crime victims. The original version also defies Maine's Constitution which states, "Every citizen has a right to keep and bear arms and this right shall never be questioned."

Please contact your State Representative and State Senator TODAY and respectfully urge them to oppose any changes to LD1737 which would create victim zones in Maine. Remember to tell them that crime does not stop at the park gate and the right to defend yourself and family shouldn't either! Contact information can be found by clicking here.

I have contacted the whole committee twice and heard back from only a few. My own state senator is apparently anti gun, even though he is a Republican. I have sent him many emails but apparently he hasn't a clue. He is due up for re-election but the other candidates are super liberal and so we have another case of voting for the lesser of evils. What a shame!

Restructured Park Carry Bill Passes Senate, Heads to House
Please Contact Your State Representative!

Yesterday, Thursday, March 18, the Maine Senate passed LD1737 with an amendment that would allow permit holders and law enforcement officials to carry concealed firearms in Acadia National Park. This amended version is a critical step forward in assuring the right of self-defense for the law abiding.

The federal law, which allows the carrying of firearms in National Parks, went into effect last month. Without this important change, LD1737 would nullify federal law within Acadia National Park, by disarming potential crime victims. The original version also defies Maine's Constitution which states, "Every citizen has a right to keep and bear arms and this right shall never be questioned."

Please contact your State Representative TODAY and respectfully urge them to oppose any changes to LD1737 which would create victim zones in Maine. Remember to tell them that crime does not stop at the park gate and the right to defend yourself and family shouldn't either! Contact information can be found by clicking here.

3/30/10
Concealed weapons in Acadia OK’d
Maine to be among first states to override federal rules, if bill becomes law

AUGUSTA, Maine — A bill restricting guns at Acadia National Park moved a step closer to final passage Monday as the House routinely approved a measure that changes the previous no-gun policy by allowing a few exceptions — including an exception for concealed weapons.

The Maine House of Representatives went along with the Senate and approved legislation that overrides a new federal law that took effect Feb. 22. Reversing policy, the federal law permits guns in nearly all of the National Park Service’s 392 locations, unless states impose other restrictions.

In Maine, Sen. Dennis Damon, D-Trenton, introduced a bill to keep intact the national park gun ban with exceptions for police or if the gun is disassembled or packed away so it can’t be readily used.

As it worked its way through the Legislature, Damon’s bill was amended to also allow exceptions for retired police and those who have concealed weapons permits.

His bill appeared to be on its way toward final House and Senate approval after passing without debate Monday in the House.

Maine would be among the first states to override the federal law if LD 1737 becomes law. Acadia drew 2.2 million visitors in 2009, making it the 10th-most-visited in the national system.

What maroons we have in the Legislature. Both the US Constitution and the Maine Constitution are very clear regarding the right of law abiding, honest gun owners to have and carry guns for their protection and these idiots are too dense to realize the truth. My own Sen. Davis could not understand why I was upset by his supporting this insane bill.

We are doomed as a nation with the liberal thinking of our leaders. Such rejection of a right laid out so clearly by our US Constitution and the mistaken belief that healthcare is a right tells me that most have their heads up their butts. And what makes it worse is that we put them in these places of power. What does that say about us, 'We the people?"

Acadia firearms bill goes to Baldacci

AUGUSTA — An amended bill to regulate guns in Acadia National Park has been sent to Gov. John Baldacci for his signature, but not everyone is happy with the version on his desk.

Sen. Dennis Damon's original bill would have outlawed guns in Acadia. The Trenton Democrat's bill came up after a federal law took effect in February allowing owners to take firearms into national parks – provided state law doesn't say otherwise.

The final version allows those with concealed weapons permits to bring guns into Acadia.

Damon said today the bill allowing concealed weapons makes the park a more dangerous rather than safer place.

Cathie Whittemore of the National Coalition to Prevent Gun Violence calls the bill "a radical expansion of guns into national parks in Maine."

Open-carry gun group plans Acadia event

The Maine Open Carry Association will hold a picnic on Thompson Island in Acadia National Park on July 11 to protest a new state law that limits the possession of firearms in the park.

Under the law, which takes effect July 12, guns are allowed in the park if they are carried by law enforcement officers or are packed away so they cannot be used immediately.

The Legislature passed the law in April, after a federal law took effect in February that allows owners to take firearms into national parks as long as state law doesn't say otherwise.

Sen. Dennis Damon, D-Trenton, had proposed a bill that would have outlawed all firearms in national park sites in Maine, which was the state's policy before the new federal law took effect.

The picnic hosted by the Maine Open Carry Association starts at 1 p.m.

"The event will be typical everyday Americans showing that there is no reason for there to be an open-carry ban in Acadia," said Shane Belanger, the association's founder. "We finally got the right to carry in national parks, then our rights have been trampled upon."

Picnickers should bring their own food. For more information, visit maineopencarry.org

Back
Top Bottom