Bad News from New Bedford

Everybody is OK but I have some very disappointing news:

As some of you may be aware we began to have some problems with our BOD in recent months. By the time I, and a couple of others got involved, we quickly realized the situation was seriously and quickly deteriorating. Basically we have a couple of BOD members that had been appointed to positions in which they had little knowledge or qualification - and as hard as it might be to believe - these guys are far more interested in drinking liquor and beer in the club house then shooting on the range. They decided that they would restrict us from shooting at side berms - much as Manville did a few years ago. We had no intention of going down that road. Unfortunately, they got a few others on the BOD to go along with them. Dave Bold had little sway because as vice-president, he has no vote on the BOD. The worst thing I witnessed through the entire process was the president of the club stabbing Dave in the back after sitting next to him for years on the BOD. It was disgusting. I lost all respect for him. After attending many meetings, arguing, and making our case to the membership, I decided that I would run for president and Fred Viveiros and Bob Frade would run for BOD. Unfortunately it became obvious to me that is didn't matter how good our presentation, facts, or case was - these guys wanted us out. The club 'safety' 'chairman' arrogantly stated tonight that he had the final say on all things safety (qualifications: NRA range safety course) and 'range development' 'chairman' (Qualifications unknown) stated he would be doing no work on the pistol bays this year (which he claimed would be required to shoot at the side berms). Of course they based their actions on liability - although they are not at all concerned about the liability the club could incur if one of the BOD members or officers gets busted for drunk driving after leaving the club. They also didn't much care that I pointed out that drinking while possessing firearms is illegal in MA (yes-some of these guys carry handguns, and drink, in the clubhouse - I kid you not).

The election took place tonight and unfortunately we got beat. At this point it is safe to say that sanctioned USPSA matches at New Bedford are done. I doubt any matches will take place for the foreseeable future. It's hard to believe that all the work we accomplished over the years was so completely unappreciated. Luckily for me, my efforts were more for my fellow competitors, friends, and my love of action shooting and USPSA then for the club so I'm not heartbroken. I'll spend more time on the road this season but it's sad and very disappointing just the same.

I want to thank all the guys at New Bedford that supported my bid for the presidency. You guys are the best and you know that I'd do it all again for you guys. To the rest of you - thank you all so very much for all your help and great times we had since 2007 - when the new ranges were constructed.

I'll see you all on the range this season.

Wow! As a frequent competitor at NB I am well aware of the work the NB crew did to establish a practical shooting program. The Area 7 match last year is a perfect example of the success of these efforts. It is a shame to see this program become the victim of club politics. It's tough to bust your hump and watch your back at the same time.

Perhaps the Steel Challenge matches can be saved as this format usually involves firing in the direction of the backstop only.

Wow, what a shocker! New Bedford was always a great place to shoot. Shot my first steel challenge 3 years ago and took the USPSA class with Dave that spring. That club totally changed my life in the shooting sports.

With that said, unless things change for the better, I will not spend a penny of my money or my time to shoot there. Let the club starve until the general membership realizes their bod has to be douched.

Should side shooting be done, that's really a shame. I actually just picked up a gun specifically for use at NB steel challenge this year, and I was really considering getting involved in sanctioned matches.

I am truly sorry to hear this. With my own personal fealings aside
I just want to say sorry for the loss of a club that I personally enjoyed.
Scott, Fred, Dave and every one involved should get a standing O for all there
efforts, without people like this we would not have some of the best USPSA
in our area.

Bad news for sure. My first 2 matches were at NB back in 2010. Since then I think I've only missed 2 or 3 of their monthly matches.

That is Bad News!
Sad really...

Scott, Dave, Fred and Bob - Thanks for your efforts and hard work.
You guys did a hell of a job getting the pits in and running matches.

Another gun club run by men who are afraid of guns.

This is a huge loss in so many ways. In addition to running standards and high caliber USPSA & IDPA pistol matches, we could always count on NB to run steel challenge, rifle, shotgun, and multi-gun matches. Filling this hole in the calendars is going to be very difficult.

The way to suck the LIFE out of an ACTIVE club. sad.sad

[Bad newsQUOTE=scottb;4309748]Everybody is OK but I have some very disappointing news:

As some of you may be aware we began to have some problems with our BOD in recent months. By the time I, and a couple of others got involved, we quickly realized the situation was seriously and quickly deteriorating. Basically we have a couple of BOD members that had been appointed to positions in which they had little knowledge or qualification - and as hard as it might be to believe - these guys are far more interested in drinking liquor and beer in the club house then shooting on the range. They decided that they would restrict us from shooting at side berms - much as Manville did a few years ago. We had no intention of going down that road. Unfortunately, they got a few others on the BOD to go along with them. Dave Bold had little sway because as vice-president, he has no vote on the BOD. The worst thing I witnessed through the entire process was the president of the club stabbing Dave in the back after sitting next to him for years on the BOD. It was disgusting. I lost all respect for him. After attending many meetings, arguing, and making our case to the membership, I decided that I would run for president and Fred Viveiros and Bob Frade would run for BOD. Unfortunately it became obvious to me that is didn't matter how good our presentation, facts, or case was - these guys wanted us out. The club 'safety' 'chairman' arrogantly stated tonight that he had the final say on all things safety (qualifications: NRA range safety course) and 'range development' 'chairman' (Qualifications unknown) stated he would be doing no work on the pistol bays this year (which he claimed would be required to shoot at the side berms). Of course they based their actions on liability - although they are not at all concerned about the liability the club could incur if one of the BOD members or officers gets busted for drunk driving after leaving the club. They also didn't much care that I pointed out that drinking while possessing firearms is illegal in MA (yes-some of these guys carry handguns, and drink, in the clubhouse - I kid you not).

The election took place tonight and unfortunately we got beat. At this point it is safe to say that sanctioned USPSA matches at New Bedford are done. I doubt any matches will take place for the foreseeable future. It's hard to believe that all the work we accomplished over the years was so completely unappreciated. Luckily for me, my efforts were more for my fellow competitors, friends, and my love of action shooting and USPSA then for the club so I'm not heartbroken. I'll spend more time on the road this season but it's sad and very disappointing just the same.

I want to thank all the guys at New Bedford that supported my bid for the presidency. You guys are the best and you know that I'd do it all again for you guys. To the rest of you - thank you all so very much for all your help and great times we had since 2007 - when the new ranges were constructed.

I'll see you all on the range this season.[/QUOTE]

Thank you all that ran the matches at New Bedford.
This totally stinks, now watch to see if the treasury starts to be depleted at a rapid rate.

I started shooting at the Rod and Gun Club of New Bedford in 2000, shooting IDPA matches. We had a good relationship between Bass River (Former member) and the New Bedford crew.
I had heard rumblings that this was going on and have been quiet about it. I am very sorry to see this taking place and see no way around it while maintaining the quality the matches have always had.

Thanks to the entire Action pistol crew past and present. (No names so as not to miss someone) You have always welcomed and helped new shooters, assisted those finding their way, challenged the more experienced, and acted in a professional and safe manner.

How anyone could possibly think there are safety issues is beyond my comprehension.

Hope to see you all somewhere when I get back to the range.

Gary

WOW .....A big thanks to all those that worked so hard to make those matches and that club what it was. Awesome matches and lots of fun were had there. I was hoping you guys would pull of a win at the election. Thanks for the effort in trying to defeat these clowns.

Last edited:
The Steel Challenge equipment was purchased with an NRA grant, that was intended to support and advance the shooting sports. Can we expect the club to reimburse the NRA for this money, so they can redistribute it to organizations the still support the shooting sports? It would only seem fair since the club did profit from the use of the equipment.

Is there any way to appeal this decision and/or educate people better about this?

What were the safety concerns? the integrity of the berms? if so, build them up more.

if people don't like the action sports way of shooting "close to the 180", perhaps some education on our sport(s) and the safety rules related to this area.

edit:
Does this have to be absolutely a final decision? It must be able to be over turned.

The Steel Challenge equipment was purchased with an NRA grant, that was intended to support and advance the shooting sports. Can we expect the club to reimburse the NRA for this money, so they can redistribute it to organizations the still support the shooting sports? It would only seem fair since the club did profit from the use of the equipment.

I think Donating or Lending the targets and stands to a club that is interested in starting a Steel Challenge Program would be the right thing to do...

Thank you all that ran the matches at New Bedford.
This totally stinks, now watch to see if the treasury starts to be depleted at a rapid rate.

They raised the membership fees for the club from $100 per year to $125 per year. At approximately 700 members (minus the number of life members, that number I don't know) the membership increase will in essence wipe out what Action Pistol brought in. We will see if the general membership will renew with a 25% increase. I suspect most will pay the increase since it is a good club for the price...

....Perhaps the Steel Challenge matches can be saved as this format usually involves firing in the direction of the backstop only.....

I speak for myself only but while I suppose that's possible, I think it's unlikely owing to the atmosphere at the club re action pistol and the lack of support shown by the BOD. Again I speak only for myself when I say I have no respect for the individuals at New Bedford that let this happen to the most active SHOOTING committee at The Rod and Gun club of New Bedford. I don't see the situation changing in a positive way but who knows - I didn't expect Obama to get elected twice either.

...Does this have to be absolutely a final decision? It must be able to be over turned....

The only way this could be overturned is by a by-laws change. I don't see it happening. The club president stated at the last BOD meeting that it was his opinion the BOD has the final say on all issues at NB. That means a majority of 12 votes decides all issues for 700 members. It's a wonderment: anti-gunners, statist, and mini tyrants all rolled into one neat package.

They raised the membership fees for the club from $100 per year to $125 per year. At approximately 700 members (minus the number of life members, that number I don't know) the membership increase will in essence wipe out what Action Pistol brought in. We will see if the general membership will renew with a 25% increase. I suspect most will pay the increase since it is a good club for the price...

It's been seen in the past that suddenly the treasury is depleted. Not from general expenditures.

This is terrible news. Thank you so much to everyone who's worked so hard over the years. I heard rumblings about this, but I had no idea it was so bad as to shut down the matches entirely.

Last edited by a moderator:
This sounds like auburn mass. I voted with my feet and left. There are plenty of clubs that will take your money.

Last edited by a moderator:
To Dave, Scott, and the rest of the excellent action shooting members of New Bedford Rod and Gun Club,

You guys have done an outstanding job over the years. The Area 7 match that you hosted last year was the Apex of your greatness.

It can't end now.

Buy 10+ acres of land and start a new club. Write into the bylaws that "action shooting will always be honored and revered" as the mission of the club.

I pledge my time, my money, my power tools, my rake and my shovel to help you build new ranges.

If the 100+ action shooters that shoot the monthly matches show up with tools, skills and a sense of mission, we'll have that club up and running for the 2015 season.

In time you will look back and realize that this was the defining moment that propelled you to even greater heights.

You can count on my support and the support of the shooting community.

Best regards,

Eddie

I'd like to say thanks to Scott, Bob, Dave and Fred for running for office. Being there the last few years I got to see first hand just how hard the crew works at each event and their commitment to the shooting sport shows.

I have to say it was an honor to have worked with the gang there and hopefully so in the future. The president and BODs need to be purged. Scott was correct with his statements by 100%.

The way I see it the problem is, they don't want to see or hear from us and the Fudds aren't comfortable with what we do. So it doesn't matter how much money it brings in and what improvements are underway or completed. We are still the members that don't know their place and are dangerous to anyone present.

Last edited:
Is there any way to appeal this decision and/or educate people better about this?

What were the safety concerns? the integrity of the berms? if so, build them up more.

if people don't like the action sports way of shooting "close to the 180", perhaps some education on our sport(s) and the safety rules related to this area.

edit:
Does this have to be absolutely a final decision? It must be able to be over turned.

There are no safety concerns... the problems here sound like fudd retards on the BOD. That's a cancer that can only be dealt with by a regime change.

NB was one of the clubs where I learned the action shooting sports be it IDPA, USPSA rifle or pistol. I worked my ass off last year at IDPA States. Great bunch none of that IDPA vs USPSA crap, just a lot of guys that like action shooting sports. met a lot of LEOs too. All good guys. I wonder how much money they are going to lose

Back
Top Bottom