• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Barn Find SKS

Pics of rifle scrubbed and oiled.

Found the trigger group on EBAY. Paid out the assh*le, but what can you do. There weren't any to be had cheaper, so I guess the price is the price.

Where does a guy find 7.62X39 locally? Preferably non-corrosive/Boxer primed/brass case.

Brass cased seriously? Don't waste your money, its an SKS, it was made to shoot steel cased. Any commercial stuff you find in a shop will be non-corrosive. Wolf, Tula, Golden Tiger all good to go. I see it in several shops around, shouldn't be hard to find. Glenn's in North Reading seems to always have ammo in stock for one. Collectors in Stoneham, Four Seasons, etc etc.

Brass cased seriously? Don't waste your money, its an SKS, it was made to shoot steel cased. Any commercial stuff you find in a shop will be non-corrosive. Wolf, Tula, Golden Tiger all good to go. I see it in several shops around, shouldn't be hard to find. Glenn's in North Reading seems to always have ammo in stock for one. Collectors in Stoneham, Four Seasons, etc etc.
Didn’t see he said brass; someone in the classified has brass-cased for okay prices.

I think I have some brass cased yugo
I would sell it , I will poke around to see what I have if anyone is interested

As already said. Oil/lube, 1 shot, 2 shot, so on. When I built my Bren Gun kit I strapped it to the table and pulled the trigger via a string from behind my car! The attached photo is the receiver in a welding jig.

Attachments

• 725C3826-BDE5-4EC4-8289-52947962F5DD.jpeg
    725C3826-BDE5-4EC4-8289-52947962F5DD.jpeg
    227.6 KB · Views: 40
I reload (or want the capability to reload) for every rifle I own, personally.

It makes almost (repeat: almost) no sense to reload for AK/SKS lately based on price alone--but of course there are other factors that come into play as well.

As it turns out, the chamber is too rough to cycle brass case, even after polishing. Steel cycles beautifully.

Steel case CAN be reloaded, I'm told--just not very many times.

A

B

C

D

E

Last edited:
I reload (or want the capability to reload) for every rifle I own, personally.

It makes almost (repeat: almost) no sense to reload for AK/SKS lately based on price alone--but of course there are other factors that come into play as well.

I'll 2nd @jpm that the SKS was meant for steel, as I am sure you know... but @andrew1220 's listing for the Igman 7.62x39 is something you should consider.

From my research, it is good stuff. Made by Igman factory in Bosna i Hercegovina (former Yugoslavian plant) which is basically new production, non-corrosive Yugo m67, very accurate and clean shooting.

TargetSportsUSA Republic Range and Training is probably the best value in the caliber online at this time.

@Warm_Garand Nice group, I just saw you edited your post. What distance were you shooting at?

I'll 2nd @jpm that the SKS was meant for steel, as I am sure you know... but @andrew1220 's listing for the Igman 7.62x39 is something you should consider.

From my research, it is good stuff. Made by Igman factory in Bosna i Hercegovina (former Yugoslavian plant) which is basically new production, non-corrosive Yugo m67, very accurate and clean shooting.

TargetSportsUSA Republic Range and Training is probably the best value in the caliber online at this time.

@Warm_Garand Nice group, I just saw you edited your post. What distance were you shooting at?
That group was just at 25 with the brass cased ammo (check out the primers--the case was not seating against the bolt face because of the pitting).

The rifle actually shot tighter groups with steel case ammo with the action cycling.

I'd guess it was shooting into 4 inches at 100 from a rest--which is what I'd expect the rifle was designed for.

I've tested Wolf Military Classic (B&K in Natick has some for $13 a box, this is the stuff in the camo box) and I got some regular Wolf (from Custom Defense Solutions in the mill) for like $8 a box.

That group was just at 25 with the brass cased ammo (check out the primers--the case was not seating against the bolt face because of the pitting).

The rifle actually shot tighter groups with steel case ammo with the action cycling.

I'd guess it was shooting into 4 inches at 100 from a rest--which is what I'd expect the rifle was designed for.

I've tested Wolf Military Classic (B&K in Natick has some for $13 a box, this is the stuff in the camo box) and I got some regular Wolf (from Custom Defense Solutions in the mill) for like $8 a box.

Oh wow, I didn't notice the primers when I first looked at the pic, just the real rough cases. Wow that chamber is a mess lol. Yeah you can reload steel once maybe twice before you wear it out but I think I'd have to be pretty desperate to even bother. Glad to hear the Wolf is working well for you.

OP, make double sure you clean the bolt well and triple sure you clean the firing pin and firing pin channel.

The firing pin (if not soring loaded) should float freely in its channel.

Pics of rifle scrubbed and oiled.

Found the trigger group on EBAY. Paid out the assh*le, but what can you do. There weren't any to be had cheaper, so I guess the price is the price.

Where does a guy find 7.62X39 locally? Preferably non-corrosive/Boxer primed/brass case.

Barn Find SKS 4

A

3a

Barn Find SKS
Nice save!

Did you ever find an import mark on this rifle? (early import marks were commonly very obscure to almost invisible)

11mil serial and the blued bolt carrier are common among both Vietnam and Middle east captures. But the mismatched magazine doesn't rule out the possibility that the rifle is a Canadian, ahem, import.

The bayo lug hack job is atypical of the commercial cuts which commonly left substantially more of the lug intact. Given the modification to the front site globe, that bayo lug and the site globe were more than likely cut post import.

Regardless, you've performed quite a resuscitation effort and succeeded remarkably. Good on you, and congrats.

[thumbsup]

Nice save!

Did you ever find an import mark on this rifle? (early import marks were commonly very obscure to almost invisible)

11mil serial and the blued bolt carrier are common among both Vietnam and Middle east captures. But the mismatched magazine doesn't rule out the possibility that the rifle is a Canadian, ahem, import.

The bayo lug hack job is atypical of the commercial cuts which commonly left substantially more of the lug intact. Given the modification to the front site globe, that bayo lug and the site globe were more than likely cut post import.

Regardless, you've performed quite a resuscitation effort and succeeded remarkably. Good on you, and congrats.

[thumbsup]
My buddy was very happy to see it restored to usefulness--and even ravaged by neglect it has a certain kind of beauty.

I never did see anything resembling an importation mark.

Interesting theory about a Canadian lineage.

I've been working on Philippine Rack Grade Garands (for other guys I know). The turnarounds are even more profound.

Hurts to see a Garand so badly pitted--but they come right back to life.

Back
Top Bottom