• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bear Questions

Ned

Hi, I have noticed some big scat around my house lately. I live in an apple orchard and right now there are a lot of drops under the trees. In the past I have seen many deer, some coyotes, rabbit, foxes, various birds, cats etc. I have 2 dogs and we don't see any wandering dogs near us. 3 years ago one of the orchard workers saw a small bear but I did not personally see it.
A few days ago I noticed a huge pile in the driveway well outside our invisible dog fence. It was bigger than human sized. This morning I saw a big one (but not as big as a few days ago) in the driveway right near the house. The dogs were going crazy to be let out and when I let them out they patrolled along the invisible fence and sniffed everything.
I took a picture of it next to a ruler, it is about 8" long and probably has apples in it. I am thinking bear based on some internet pictures and a hunter at work. I can upload the picture but I didn't do that right off as it is not real pleasant to look at.
So, does this sound like a bear and if so if I actually see it in my yard would it be legal or even advisable to shoot it ?
I am far enough from the road or other houses as far as those laws go. Just wondering about bears and if they would pose a danger to the family or dogs.
Also wondering about coyotes. I haven't seen one in a few years but twice I have seen them in the yard around dawn.
I should note that we keep the dogs in at night and when we are not home.

Thanks for any advice.

Could definitely be bear, most people don't realize they are all around us but black bear are usually very allusive and skittish, the ones that are not are very dangerous.

You can't shoot it unless you have too, meaning you are in danger or you have permission from the state b/c they are destroying your crop. Call the Environmental Police if you fear there could be trouble, snipping it at 0100 might get you in trouble.

Last edited:
if I actually see it in my yard would it be legal or even advisable to shoot it ?
I am far enough from the road or other houses as far as those laws go.

If you have a hunting license, a bear tag, you are 500' from occupied dwellings (unless you have permission from the occupant), you are 150' from the road, AND it is bear season, then you can shoot it. The season is:

1. SEASON DATES: The open season is divided into two time periods. The first period begins on the day after Labor Day and ends on the 3rd Saturday thereafter, for a total of 17 days. The second period begins on the 1st Monday in November and ends on the 3rd Saturday thereafter, for a total of 18 days.
More details can be found here: http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/plain_language/hunting_bear.htm

If you are a farmer and the bear is killing your livestock, then you may be able to kill it.

If the bear is attacking you, you can kill it.

But no, you can't kill a black bear simply because it is walking across your yard.

Thanks for the fast responses.
I know other apple growers have been able to kill deer since deer eat the fruit buds in winter thus destroying the next crop. I will have to see if bears do anything like that.
I should look into getting a hunting license and tag in case one shows up in November.
If not then I guess it is hands off the bears unless "It's coming right for us" as Jimbo would say.
http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/149674

Seeing a bear walking across the yard once wouldn't make me want to shoot it but if it is big and hanging around alot that would not make me real comfortable with two small children and two 40lbs dogs that could become snacks.

It was me....I was lost in Groton and couldn't hold it anymore.....Sorry.

Seriously though - bears are no big deal. I see them at least weekly in my yard and sometimes more often than that. they are omnivores, but I have never had them bother my apple trees whatsoever. As far as being a danger to your dogs and/or your family, the chances are remote. If you make certain that food sources, (bird seed, garbage etc) are not accessible, you should have no problems....

Back
Top Bottom