Bear: revolver?

I'm trying to decide upon a revolver to be used for handgun hunting black bear. So far, I've come up with a caliber of .44 Magnum and a disired barrel length of 6." As for sights, I'm thinking a white outline rear, and orange front. Optics? Maybe a red dot, but I would at least value the ease of install. Being that I'm in Mass., the widest selection of revolvers I have to choose from are available from Ruger, and S&W. The choice between SA or DA I'm not certain of. I like the SA Rugers, but a DA seems to make more sense in this situation (pursuit of deadly game). I've carried a 50 oz. handgun, and it wasn't too bothersome, so weight isn't much of a concern. My hike ins will be in the neighborhood of 5 miles. Any suggestions or observations to offer?

.460XVR or a .500S&W. I have a 460XVR with scope and off a rest I can hit a 8" gong at 118yds repeatedly. Tons of energy and high mv for a revolver. .44 mag will do the job too though.

I'm trying to decide upon a revolver to be used for handgun hunting black bear. So far, I've come up with a caliber of .44 Magnum and a disired barrel length of 6." As for sights, I'm thinking a white outline rear, and orange front. Optics? Maybe a red dot, but I would at least value the ease of install. Being that I'm in Mass., the widest selection of revolvers I have to choose from are available from Ruger, and S&W. The choice between SA or DA I'm not certain of. I like the SA Rugers, but a DA seems to make more sense in this situation (pursuit of deadly game). I've carried a 50 oz. handgun, and it wasn't too bothersome, so weight isn't much of a concern. My hike ins will be in the neighborhood of 5 miles. Any suggestions or observations to offer?

5 mile drag outs will be a bit of a bear ;-)

5 mile drag outs will be a bit of a bear ;-)

I think the approved method in this case is to hike 5 miles in, find the bear, annoy the bear ala jacklinks jerky commercial, let it chase you for 4.75 miles back towards the car, and then turn and shoot perfectly with a quarter mile to go. Hint, don't forget the Nikes.

Rule number one when bear hunting. Always hunt with a buddy. If the bear charges, I don't have to out run the bear, I only have to outrun my buddy.

Rule number one when bear hunting. Always hunt with a buddy. If the bear charges, I don't have to out run the bear, I only have to outrun my buddy.

I haven't heard that in years!!! thanks for the memories.

11 years ago I thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail with a childhood friend. We walked nearly 2200 miles telling each other that same joke in different variations...

When it comes to bear go big or stay @ home. You look for the ideal shot, sometimes your chance comes @ 20'. If I were buying a new to me ( new or used) I would go for 500 mag power, no comparison to the 44. 5 mile dragouts. you should just kill that bar with your knife. Good luck

When it comes to bear go big or stay @ home. You look for the ideal shot, sometimes your chance comes @ 20'. If I were buying a new to me ( new or used) I would go for 500 mag power, no comparison to the 44. 5 mile dragouts. you should just kill that bar with your knife. Good luck

That's my back-up. [wink]

.460XVR or a .500S&W. I have a 460XVR with scope and off a rest I can hit a 8" gong at 118yds repeatedly. Tons of energy and high mv for a revolver. .44 mag will do the job too though.

This just in from S&W...

It's time for our annual
Columbus Day Weekend Sale
October 10 - 13, 2008

** Take advantage of our Best Handgun Prices of the Year ! **

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10% Off Apparel, Accessories and Collectibles

20% Off Holsters, Grips & Magazines

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**Email only special**

Present this flyer Thursday October 9th, 2008 and receive All Sale Prices plus a 60 Day Gold Membership to the Shooting Sports Center, with the purchase of any firearm.

Bad Joke Alert!

Two guys are hiking in bear infested woods. One says to the other "I'm not worried about bears, I have a .22 handgun". The other says "what are you going to do with a .22 against a bear?". The first guys says, " shoot you in the leg and run".

sorry

re: 460XVR

Have you fired the .460 with AND without the compensator? Is so, can you offer a comparison of the sound level? From what I've been reading, the .460 does seem to be the more versatile choice between the two calibers.

If you are truly looking at a 5 mile drag, you should consider either a game cart, or even one of those cheap hard plastic kids snow sled to take with you. At the end of a 5 mile drag, the pelt will be pretty banged up!

Sounds like a nice ten mile hike about to get ruined by dragging a couple hundred pounds of meat back to the truck.

Not my idea of fun.

Back
Top Bottom