Beckett Card Grading BS

Admin

Staff Member
Administrator
NES Member
One of my good friends collects sports cards and gets them graded through Beckett Grading services. They grade them as such:

10 Pristine
9.5 Gem Mint
9 Mint
8.5 Near Mint.
8 Excellent

and so forth. A grade of 9.5 will triple the value of a card that is not graded. My friend only wants 9.5's or higher for his collection. So he sold his 8.5 Tom Brady rookie for $700+ and purchased a 9.5 Brady for $1500+. He found out today that the 8.5 Brady was sold to a major dealer who re-sent in the card to Beckett and got it graded again, it came back a 9.5 and is now worth over $1500.

He had suspicions that large dealers got easy grades and the little guy got the shaft, well today it was proved. I'm not sure how long his post will last on Beckett’s forum, but the serialized card says it all.

http://www.beckett.com/iforum/view....icID=766210&forumID=69&catID=15&forumPageNo=1

That would tick me off big time. I congratulate your friend for keeping his temper even in his post....that could not have been easy.

I stopped collecting sports cards in the early to mid 90's.The card companies started over-producing everything,adding multitudes of inserts,gold foil,etc...Way back when I was collecting,the only cards that were graded were more than 20 years old.Now people are getting cards graded hot off the presses.

By my collecting standards,there is no way that card above will hold it's value over time.1,250 is a lot of cards.If NE doesn't win the superbowl this year,he should sell the card immediately :)

B.O.T.... He should file a complaint with the BBB.

I think he is going to liquidate all of his graded cards after this. I heard that MLB is not giving Donruss a license next year, and Fleer just went out of business. So instead of having to collect 120 different cards to fill a year of your favorite player, you'll only need 40.

I think the only two companies left are Upper Deck and Topps.

I'd be complaining to the AG's Consumer Fraud Div. If it is the same card, there is definitely something hinkey going on with the grading company. A nice little investigation by the AG's JBTs might get their attention.

I already suggested he contact the AG in Texas. I don't know what he is going to do about it. It's the same card, the serial number is on the front of the card.

I use to collect baseball cards. I still have a ton of them. But I have now moved on to bigger and better things....Guns baby, I am still new to all of this but I haven't had my LTC for even a year yet and I have already bought 7 guns. But I got rid of one piece of poop. Think becket would grade my Bushmaster?

Damage Control. They have re-done their home page with no link to the graded card registry. When I return from Camp Perry I will be contacting the Texas Attorney General's office with the details of this fraud.

Back
Top Bottom