• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Weymouth BS

ID / proof of residency requirement should mirror the requirement to vote in MA.

They're the freakin' cops, you could walk in there with nothing, tell them your name, and they'd know you weren't lying because they could look up your driver's licence. And they'd know your address, because driver's licence. And they'd know your criminal history because they have access to it all, way more than you do.

All of those requirements are purely administrative roadblocks to prevent people from exercising a right.

They're the freakin' cops, you could walk in there with nothing, tell them your name, and they'd know you weren't lying because they could look up your driver's licence. And they'd know your address, because driver's licence. And they'd know your criminal history because they have access to it all, way more than you do.

All of those requirements are purely administrative roadblocks to prevent people from exercising a right.

This... its pure out and out obstructionism. They want to be as annoying as possible to deter people from obtaining a license. That's where the whole "reference letter" bullshit fequently came from too. Because they know that the average person doesn't want to have to get a friend to write a letter to "vouch" for them. etc.

I just took the Hunter Ed class last week at Fish & Game HQ. The instructor cautioned everyone that some PDs might not accept the class for an LTC. Take this for what it is worth ... nothing.
Yeah....why would a PD feel required to follow black-letter law?

Hell, when my younger kid went to get his FID, they tried to charge him $100, not the $25 for <18 years old. Fortunately, he anticipated such sh!t, and had printed out the relevant section of MGLs.

Weymouth is a perpetual shit town as fsr as licensing goes.
Agreed. I was a member of Braintree R&P from 1999 to 2020 and there were regular reports at our meetings about the difficulties dealing with Weymouth PD to get a LTC.
I just took the Hunter Ed class last week at Fish & Game HQ. The instructor cautioned everyone that some PDs might not accept the class for an LTC. Take this for what it is worth ... nothing.
For as long as I can remember, some PDs refused the Hunter Ed certificate. Given the particular HE course that I and ~39 others took, I would tend to agree that those in my class learned nothing about gun safety or MA gun laws. We were given some blatantly illegal gun law info that could get someone PP status and a potentially long prison sentence.

Hunter Ed was accepted for my son's fid card. When he turned 21 and applied for ltc he had to take a fire arms safery course.

It's always been my understanding that hunter Ed is only accepted for fid card applications.

But I may be wrong.

Per MGL, HE is good for LTC. Like I stated, some HE courses don't teach squat on MA gun laws and you never ever touch a gun. Add a Environment Police Officer who spews illegal info to the mix and it really isn't very good for someone who never handled a gun before.

Did you have to jump through all of those hoops like they want the O.P.'s student to do?

Yeah, most of the information is pretty easy to obtain. FWIW, this was before Bruen.

You can argue all day long if they should or should not ask for it but I wanted my LTC so I got the information they requested.

Bruen means nothing in MA, if you want the LTC move or play their game.

They should use ChatGPT for the letter for why they want an LTC... Should be interesting to see what it comes up with.
Subject: Application for License to Carry Firearm

[Your Name]
[Your Address]
[City, State, ZIP Code]
[Date]

[Police Chief's Name]
[Police Department Name]
[Address]
[City, State, ZIP Code]

Dear [Police Chief's Name],

I hope this letter finds you well. I am writing to respectfully apply for a license to carry a firearm within the jurisdiction of [Your City/County]. As a law-abiding citizen, I firmly believe in the inherent right of individuals to possess firearms for self-defense and other lawful purposes, as enshrined in the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

The recent Bruen v. City of New York Supreme Court decision reaffirms the fundamental nature of this right and underscores the importance of preserving our constitutional freedoms. As such, I am committed to exercising my Second Amendment rights responsibly and contributing to the safety and security of my community.

I firmly believe that obtaining a license to carry a firearm is essential for protecting myself, my loved ones, and my property from potential threats, both inside and outside the home. In an increasingly uncertain world, where personal safety cannot always be guaranteed, the ability to defend oneself is paramount.

I assure you that I am fully aware of the responsibilities that come with carrying a firearm and am committed to adhering to all applicable laws and regulations. I recognize the gravity of this decision and the importance of ensuring that firearms are used only for lawful purposes and in accordance with established guidelines.

In conclusion, I respectfully request that you consider my application for a license to carry a firearm favorably. I am prepared to undergo any required training and background checks to demonstrate my eligibility and suitability for such a license. Thank you for your attention to this matter, and I look forward to your response.

Sincerely,

[Your Name]
Edit: I had to have to tell it to rewrite it once already to stop being so accepting of infringements, it didn't totally listen...

Nice letter, but who is asking for something like that?
Weymoth PD apparently also a check no later than 5 days old? Never seen a shelf life in a check written for payment like that.
Sorry sir, you are denied, your check was 6 days old. Please submit your appeal, new letter, new proof of residence and since your checking account can't be trusted past 6 days please open a new account or bring a bank check no less than 24 hours old. When you call to make an appointment it will be 4 weeks out+ so make sure you get the bank check on the way to the appointment. Stool sample can be left on the chiefs chair.

Weymoth PD apparently also a check no later than 5 days old? Never seen a shelf life in a check written for payment like that.
Sorry sir, you are denied, your check was 6 days old. Please submit your appeal, new letter, new proof of residence and since your checking account can't be trusted past 6 days please open a new account or bring a bank check no less than 24 hours old. When you call to make an appointment it will be 4 weeks out+ so make sure you get the bank check on the way to the appointment. Stool sample can be left on the chiefs chair.
It's just another annoyance to keep all but the determined from applying.

if you think this is bad the false shit that they told my fiancé in Quincy was beyond the pale

1) they told her she cannot own a Glock in MA
2) they told her she cannot build her own firearm
And 3) - crawls up my ass in the worst way - they said don’t call for your license before March 1 (her interview was before thanksgiving)

I told her she was very fortunate that I didn’t join her for her interview. Rogue FUDD department praying on the ignorance of a first timer and a woman to boot. Of course she will not give me names

Follow the statute
Let them talk all they want. The delay in getting your LTC application in and out has been a slow process for decades.

Sometime you just bite your lip.
I have had police say NO ONE in MA can posses a Mchine Gun

I always want to pull out my green card and call him a moron But I sit and grin knowing he is.

Wow...

They don't have "class B LTC" on their page, but they clearly didn't get the memo that restrictions on LTCs don't exist anymore.

Per MGL, HE is good for LTC. Like I stated, some HE courses don't teach squat on MA gun laws and you never ever touch a gun. Add a Environment Police Officer who spews illegal info to the mix and it really isn't very good for someone who never handled a gun before.
When I do the HE class, I stress that if you're new to the game, and have no experience....find someone who does.

Both my kids got the FID on the HE card, but the younger was a competitive Trap shooter from age 9, and an NRA Instructor from 13, and the other a casual Trap shooter, and on the Club's Bullseye League team from 13.

The older used his HE card for LTC; is brother used his .mil ID. Actually, I think that LTC issuance on .mil credentials is even worse than a HE card, because an ex-military person from a free state will have NO idea of the DPRM laws, and a HE course will at least give them a heads-up.

Len: I don't know about other venues, but we do go into the basics, and warn all attendees that it's a Fuster Cluck.

Len: I don't know about other venues, but we do go into the basics, and warn all attendees that it's a Fuster Cluck.
I know that I posted it many years ago here, but the legal info given in my class was felony-level mis-information by the EPO.

One day when I was at the range at Braintree R&P, I stopped in the clubhouse for coffee during a HE course. It was very professionally done and students did get to handle the guns. I met and spoke with the head instructor, Claudia Stewart and told her how impressed I was with her class.

So, it varies wildly depending on the quality of the instructors.

I know that I posted it many years ago here, but the legal info given in my class was felony-level mis-information by the EPO.

One day when I was at the range at Braintree R&P, I stopped in the clubhouse for coffee during a HE course. It was very professionally done and students did get to handle the guns. I met and spoke with the head instructor, Claudia Stewart and told her how impressed I was with her class.

So, it varies wildly depending on the quality of the instructors.
You misspelled "Job security"

Back
Top Bottom