Been doing a lot of searching for the perfect range - suggestions? (Middlesex County)

Hello folks,

Being new to the art of shooting I have been searching for a range to join. I live in the Billerica/Burlington/Bedford area.

Here is more or less what I am looking for in a range:

1) Allows active targets/plinking. Obviously no glass, but soda cans, water bottles, gongs, etc...

2) Is within 30 minutes drive of me.

3) Not full of stupid rules. I like a lot of military "style" arms, such as AKs/ARs/FALs/many more. I'd want to have the ability to practice rapid fire. Rules like only being able to load 1-5 rounds at a time, no rapid fire, and ignorant FUDDs do not appeal to me.

4) Negotiable one: allows you to bring visitors on a semi-frequent/reasonable basis. I'd like to get some family/friends into shooting but they're not gonna pay yearly fees to just try it out a few times. This isn't THAT big of a deal.

Cost is not really an object, I'd rather pay more for a range that I will actually go to. Distance is a big factor because I'd rather not pay 100-200 a year and almost never go.

After searching it seems like Westford SC and Harvard SC are 2 potentials. They're both within 30 mins and as far as I can tell, both allow plinking. Not sure about the rules but I figure if they allow plinking they are probably not super strict like 3).

Woburn Sportsman Association is 5 mins from my house but it seems like they don't allow plinking/active targets at all. Kinda a bummer to me. Shooting paper is fine but it can be really boring. Especially when you involve my criteria 4), new shooters don't find paper targets all too thrilling typically. Plus, WSA only allows you to bring guests like once or twice a year (I forget exactly, it's really low).

MRA is pretty close by too but again their rules seem to be lacking for my needs.

Any other suggestions other than Westford or Harvard? If not, can anyone confirm that Westford and Harvard fall into my criteria? It seems like I can't really audition any place (generally have to be a member to be able to shoot there) so I'm relying on you folks :)

Thanks in advance,
Dope

You can definitely audition a place; I shot at Westford yesterday as a guest of a poster here. I'll be joining at the next meeting. Westford is the clear choice for me as it's only 10 minutes from my house.

I'm not 100% sure on targets, but I think I read on the rules that they at least allow water jugs if you clean up after yourself. No silly rules at Westford; if your shots are impacting the berm below the line, you're good to go. The rules say you can only have a guest twice before they're supposed to join, but I got the impression no one worried about this as long as you're not causing a problem.

If you want to test drive a club, I'm sure some members here would be happy to have you as a guest. Also, I believe many clubs are open to the public for Trap if you are interested in that. I've also heard good things about Harvard, but Westford has everything I want and it's closer. If I get into high-power or class 3 at some future date, I'll probably join Harvard also.

Harvard is a good club.

1) I think anything other than explosive targets are allowed. Though it would be rude to use non-biodegradable targets and not clean up at least most of your mess.
2) You answered
3) Be courteous to others around you. If they ask to go down range don't say "Let me just finish up my 5 30 rnd mags". I had a semi-stressing day at work an unloaded my AR-15's 30 rd mag in about 40 seconds give or take 15. You can rapid fire if you want, though if you are using a MG you need to be at the Class III range and "certified" (you shoot in front of the RSO and show you have control of the muzzle).
4) Bring visitors if you like, but if they are coming *every* time they should consider their own membership. It's just the right thing to do. You can work half your renewal away in 4 hours. Guests aren't supposed to use the 200/300 yard range as you need to be certified (shoot a grouping at 100; then shoot at 200 in front of the RSO). I think the same goes for the Class III.

I'm going there Thursday (morning) after I pick up my Ruger MkII I put a deposit on. If you are available then let me know and I'll show you around the club perhaps on Saturday/Sunday.
4)

Last edited:
Westford is paper only on the 24/7 indoor range, but allows any sort of targets that don't pose a safety issue (and that you'll clean up when you're done) on the outdoor ranges. No limitations on rapid fire, starting out holstered or other PC things. Fairly liberal guest policy with no guest fees. Email or PM me if you've got any questions or want to take a tour some time.

Ken

Harvard Sportsmans Club is THE place to be. You can do everything you're looking to do. They have IPSC pits so you can practice shooting from a holster etc. Plus, if you're into rifle shooting we have a 75, 100, 200, and a 300 yard range. Also, a machine gun range, shotgun range, brand new archery range and MUCH more. Come and check it out.

Hmph, they both sound so inviting. They're both 20-25 mins away too. Gah.

Maybe I'll check em both out :)

Dope

If you live in Burlington/Billerica area you should also consider Pelham Fish & Game in Pelham NH. Just a couple minutes north of Lowell and in a free-state.

Harvard is a good club.
No it's not, it's a GREAT culb with lots of ranges and some really good people who are really good shooters.

Respectfully,

jkelly
(No, I'm not a Harvard member, but baby if I lived close enough)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you live in Burlington/Billerica area you should also consider Pelham Fish & Game in Pelham NH. Just a couple minutes north of Lowell and in a free-state.

Interesting, hadn't seen that one yet. How do they fare with my wish list?

Dope

Harvard is a great club (I am a member) but I believe they frown on "plinking". Most clubs I am familiar with don't allow this sort of shooting. If Harvard is too far away, try MRA in Woburn, another great club with good people, but no "plinking".

I'm a member at Westwood Gun Club, which is a very low key and informal place, as long as you are being safe, respectful, and clean up your stuff, they are happy. They have a great trap machine and tower which people get together to shoot from on Sundays at noon.

You must have ran into a group of fudds or something on thier once a year 'zeroing' expedition.[smile]

Plink all you want,just clean up.No explosives,monitors or glass type stuff.

I do most of my shooting in the Action Shooting pits and the rules state "no plinking". I sort of frown on it myself. Its too easy to use other targets.

Back
Top Bottom