• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best .22LR bolt action bang for the buck? CZ, Savage, Ruger?

what ammo are you using? My Marlin does the same w/ t-bolt, but my Savage's accuracy disappears after 100..Shoot mainly t'bolt, but have tried aquila, pretty sure I shot some various cci as well....
.22lr on steel at 200 is the most fun at the range some days. Crank the earmuff volume up and wait for the "tink" :)
I was using bulk stuff, it wasn't shooting sub moa but still shoots better than I can

i looked at this stuff just recently, and it seemed to me the best bang per buck right now for a competition level .22lr is probably this CZ - at $729, like one below.
but, it is quite a bit of $ for a mere .22lr thunderstick.

i am really torn on that topic, i wanted to get something for my 10yr old to shoot, something simple, then started thinking it would be nice if it could work decently enough up to 300yd :) - which takes it to a whole different level, and decided finally that it all needs to stop.
i wish cz made a target rifle with match aperture sights or at least provisions to mount them.
The Savage MkII FV-T is a decent little rifle although the stock at least for me is a not that great for target shooting? Ojly thing keeping me from buying one was lack of replacement stocks.
The MK serries is now not much cheaper than some better platforms.
Rifles for kids is tough as so many do not fit
Especially the trigger to grip length.

i wish cz made a target rifle with match aperture sights or at least provisions to mount them.
The Savage MkII FV-T is a decent little rifle although the stock at least for me is a not that great for target shooting? Ojly thing keeping me from buying one was lack of replacement stocks.
The MK serries is now not much cheaper than some better platforms.
Rifles for kids is tough as so many do not fit
Especially the trigger to grip length.
yeah, from that perspective to have a proper chassis like xlr element 3 would make sense, but, it is a $450 for a chassis alone. and from that perspective a $500 ruger precision starts making a bit more sense, as it would be coming fully adjustable 'as is'
but i do not see much in stock nowhere. plus it probably falls into an awb category here in ma, and a 15rd mag.

The reviews I've seen of the Ruger Precision Rimfire have not been good.
yeah, i am reading now... no free cheese, then. pity.
like i said - i have an element 3 with a folding stock adapter on the 6.5CM bergara lrp2, it is an amazing system, but, it means quite a price for a .22lr build. and i do not see any cz 457 already on such chassis on sale anywhere.

yeah, if we go that way - i do not think i want a 24" barrel, 20" is probably better, and there is one model for $600 -

may be it makes more sense? dunno. i really did not want to do over $500 for a .22lr. it is just too much $. but, a $600 would work if this one is indeed as golden as its other versions.
and seems to be adjustable enough for kid and adult sizes. hmm. i see it is .17hmr - but i bet it should be also in .22lr somewhere, do not see it yet... odd, all at-one .22 show up either in 16.5" or in 24". odd. gunbroker does not disappoint, as usual - some scumbag sells it for $870 new. heh.

Last edited:
Yea thats a .17 CZ loves to not offer things in all calibers in all sizes. LOL.

Just like they have a .17 457 in left hand, but don't make it in .22 for lefties.

Right now, I think it would be a tough try to get it perfect for under $500. Market is tough, and not a lot of deals or used deal out there.

I may have a used Gen1 XLR Element chassis for sale soon. But even then it'd probably be $400 for it.

Actually. I have the perfect solution for you. Get a B14R and put it in your existing XLR.

Then upgrade your chassis to the XLR Envy Pro. Or go with an MPA Comp.

Actually. I have the perfect solution for you. Get a B14R and put it in your existing XLR.

Then upgrade your chassis to the XLR Envy Pro. Or go with an MPA Comp.
and how is it overall cheaper than getting a varmint at-one? :)
i agree, there are multiple options here. will see, i am not in a hurry with this. may be a $616 at-one will become available, eventually, it would fit the bill nicely.

I just purchased an Anschutz 1710 DL. I put a Leupold Freedom 4x12-40 scope on it. Have not had a chance to take it the range. Will post a report once I get to shoot it some.

For your original request "Looking to get a bolt action in .22LR just to have some fun precision 50-100 yard shooting” you really can’t beat a good old Savage Mark II FV. I have one that’s about 10 years old, a distributor special with a 21 inch fluted bull barrel and Accutrigger. At 50 yards it will group under 1/2 inch with me shooting, and I’m not particularly good. I put a cheap KonusPro 7267 3X-9X32mm scope on it for a total package cost of well under $400. It is the family favorite, everyone (even my non gun loving wife) loves the little Savage. Load it up with CCI Quiet-22 and you have a plinker that’s quieter than most .22 pellet rifles, but still remarkably accurate. Most newbies like it cause it is pretty easy to get bullseyes at 50-100 yards with it, no recoil and little muzzle blast (true of all .22 LR bolt actions). Just a fun gun to shoot.

I've been looking for b14R to match my B14 HMR in 6.5CM, but can't bring myself to pay more for a .22 rifle than I paid for my 6.5

I have a 452 and a 455, no complaints, both very accurate. Recently bought a T1X, also very accurate. I would have to say the Tikka is a little tighter at 100 yards, not enough of a difference to lose any sleep over it. For some reason I like the Tikka's action better. But, I don't think you could go wrong with either. Find one in stock and bring one home.
Who only buys one 22 anyways?

Bang for the buck I would have to say the Savage FV's are up there. That said for a little over $100 more you can get a much better gun with a CZ or Tikka. Ive had the Tikka T1X and a few CZ's. The CZ's are much better IMO. The action alone is better than the Tikka. Still, for under $400 you cant beat a Savage.

винтовка в порядке!

Bang for the buck is Savage B22. Adjustable trigger to around a pound with the target spring. I still might drop it in a heftier stock but so far it's been great.

Sold my CZ455 because it couldn't outshoot the $250 Savage.

Bang for the buck is Savage B22. Adjustable trigger to around a pound with the target spring. I still might drop it in a heftier stock but so far it's been great.

Sold my CZ455 because it couldn't outshoot the $250 Savage.
457 varmint mtr is claimed to be a wunderstick, so, it is tempting. but, most likely you and most others are right about the savage.

ps. i started the whole research from it and it seems like it will end with it. a bit pricier than reasonable at $700, but, most people seem to rave about it.

Last edited:
457 varmint mtr is claimed to be a wunderstick, so, it is tempting. but, most likely you and most others are right about the savage.

I also have the A22 and with the longer barrel it outshoots them both. Definitely a bargain in my book. That CZ wood was so pretty though, was tough to part with.

If the Bergara comes out in lefty soon, then I'll be selling my T1x to finally get a left handed 22. I keep hearing June/July for the release.

I have the mkii and if it had been available at the time, id consider the chassis version of it, b22 i think?

Remington 511 Score master great vintage 22 very accurate great trigger and will not break the bank
Im a fan of older 22s , I have a 513 and some other old 22s
The 5xx remingtons dont have good triggers compared to whats out there today.
They where by design and rules of the time period to be pretty heavy, 4.5lbs min
They can be smooth and crisp and with some careful polishing and stoning made good.

Finally bit the bullet today and purchased a Ruger Precision. Really wanted the Bergara or the CZ Precision but couldn’t really justify the price difference for what my use will be. Looking at scopes now. Looking at the Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x50? Seems to be a solid scope for the money? Need to do some research on what height rings I’m going to need.

Finally bit the bullet today and purchased a Ruger Precision. Really wanted the Bergara or the CZ Precision but couldn’t really justify the price difference for what my use will be. Looking at scopes now. Looking at the Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x50? Seems to be a solid scope for the money? Need to do some research on what height rings I’m going to need.
Does the RP rim fire come with a canted rail? Theres a simple chart at brownells
Or calculators on line

dont forget to leave room for and scope lens caps
I like/need low scopes . My cheak to eyeball distance seems shorter than most (most of my 22s are fixed combs.
1.25”-1.35” should be plenty

you can use balls of clay to figure it out also

i have come to like burris signature XTR rings I think I have 1.0” hieght but my rail adds to that for bolt clearance

Last edited:
i will be setting up my .22 with a vortex diamondback 4-12x40. i do not think it needs more than a 12x.
also, i think this one is supposed to be good.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom