• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best MA-compliant Government Frame 1911?

I don't know why, but I can never get my head wrapped around a 1911 in any caliber other than .45ACP. I'm sure the 38 Supers and 9mms are fantastic guns, but a 1911 in anything other than .45ACP (or 10mm) is just way out there.
I have the TRP in 10mm. First time out with it had problems reaching battery. Looked at a few forums and not an uncommon occurrence. Sent back they recut polished ramp. Finally shot it last week. Not a hiccup. The only problem I had that day was I shot a custom colt from a well know gunsmith that posts on this forum. OMG and WOW.

I've never seen a 9m 1911, other than custom competion open division 1911s, running 9mm in USPSA. It doesn't make major in Limited of Single Stack division, so it only makes sense in a 1911 in Open (race gun) division.
I was squadded once with one guy running limited minor with one (maybe it was ss minor? He had 10 rds) but I think mostly just as a thought experiment not on a serious basis.... maybe he was challenging himself to shoot 100% clean....

I've never seen a 9m 1911, other than custom competion open division 1911s, running 9mm in USPSA. It doesn't make major in Limited of Single Stack division, so it only makes sense in a 1911 in Open (race gun) division.
Seriously? I've seen many at matches that you were at shooting SS minor.

I,ve competed more than once at hopkinton,s uspsa matches while shooting single stack minor (9 mm) which gives me 10 rounds vs ss majors 8 rounds. Are the 2 extra rounds worth it compared to loosing out on major scoring?? Maybe not, but depending on how the stages are set up it can help. Is competing with a 9mm 1911 fun....absolutely. Yes, I did have to sort mags out and found that the Dawson mags work best

For those that aren't familiar with USPSA, single stack (1911) division it can be shot with 45 or 40 which scores major points but you are limited to 8 rounds per mag, or shot with 9mm which scores minor but you are allowed 10 rounds per mag. With major scoring you get an extra point for C and D zone hits. A zone hits are equal between major and minor. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. 40 may actually be the best choice as you can shoot major or down load it and shoot minor if the stage setup showed an advantage to having 10 rounds per mag vs 8

Last edited:
I got a BNIB Colt gold cup national match off a member here for less than your budget. Not sure how it fares against other options in the sub $1K price point but always wanted one and am happy with it. Not sure if it's "MA compliant" or whatever.....who cares, it doesn't matter.

May be worth taking a peak at the NES classifieds from time to time when you have a better idea what you want.

Also, not sure I'd recommend a 1911 as the best first gun? Especially if it's gonna serve as your primary means of home defense. But if you're set on it, best of luck.

Too bad he's new to handguns or I'd just say go with an 80% 1911 frame.
I'm pretty experienced with handguns and there's no way in hell I would attempt an 80% build off a 1911 unless I had a gunsmith in my circle of friends not exactly a beginner build.... a p80? Sure... 1911? f*** no. [laugh]

At the end of page 1. I'm surprised I haven't seen Remington or Ruger mentioned yet.

if you want something that is inexpensive looks gov't why not get a rock island.
on the low end of the price scale, as far as i am concerned, i like mine and i have several other colt gov't staRTING OUT FROM 1914.
LIKE THE WAY IT WORKS AND WON'T BREAK THE BANK.
What about Auto-Ordnance?

Aren't these made in Worcester?

AO-1911-Banner.png

FWIW, I don't know much at all about 1911's.

Last edited:
At the end of page 1. I'm surprised I haven't seen Remington or Ruger mentioned yet.

Because those are at the low end of his budget and mostly a waste of time. The Ruger might be decent, he'll have some cash left over to customize
it, that's the only way I can rationalize that.

It's been so long since I've touched an R1 I don't know what they're like now.... but the last batch of R1s I saw looked like they were assembled by monkeys with hammers or
something. After comparing multiple R1s that came in the same shipment to the store I was at, and noting that they were well, clearly fitted different from one another.... this started
playing in my head.... I was like "Jesus H.... How many drugs are the assemblers on?"

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNeg4KN0hms

AO? Those are repros, if he wants a WWII repro (and all the AIDS that comes with it, like the awful arched MSH and even worse sights) might be decent option. Haven't seen one of those in awhile, though. Quality waxed and waned but I think they got most of the worst bugs out from years ago.

ETA: Someone often asked me, "What if you were forced to skinflint on a 1911..." I'd be like "If I had a gun to my head? RIA. Rock Island. Done. " FWIW at the time I saw those R1s the another shop at the show had some RIAs, and the fitting was at least less puke inducing than the R1s were.

Last edited:
I'm pretty experienced with handguns and there's no way in hell I would attempt an 80% build off a 1911 unless I had a gunsmith in my circle of friends not exactly a beginner build.... a p80? Sure... 1911? f*** no. [laugh]

If I ever get into 1911s, and that's a big if considering I've shot and handled plenty but have never had the urge to buy one, I would want to do an 80% build or at least assemble one from a frame. I don't see the point of buying one anymore when the aftermarket is so huge. Yeah, I would need a lot of help. No, it wouldn't be cheap.

But. I'm not the OP. So, I digress.

If I ever get into 1911s, and that's a big if considering I've shot and handled plenty but have never had the urge to buy one, I would want to do an 80% build or at least assemble one from a frame. I don't see the point of buying one anymore when the aftermarket is so huge. Yeah, I would need a lot of help. No, it wouldn't be cheap.

I don't see the point of building one when you can buy one for far cheaper than than the net total level of aggravation it takes to hand fit a 1911. If you get to the point where you can do it well you should probably get an FFL and start doing builds for profit.

To put those guns together, so that they A. work properly B. don't destroy themselves (you can build a 1911 that seems to work, but will literally destroy itself with enough rounds through it if it isn't fit right) and C. don't look like a poorly hewn piece of shit, is kind of a work of art.

Now, in saying that, there are shortcuts companies make when making cheaper mass produced 1911s... but then if you try the same thing, you're likely going to end up with a similarly bad
result, or not have the luxury of playing legos with bins of parts like they do at a lot of the places with mass produced guns. Of course one shortcut you can take, is I believe at one time
some vendors like Caspian would sell you a frame and slide that were basically fitted to each other, but the rest was still up to you. That cuts a lot of the bologna out of things for not much
money. I dunno if they still do that now.

Most people I know that go "I'm going to build a 1911" the pile of shit collects dust in a box somewhere, and then they eventually end up going to pay someone else to build it for
them. If they weren't a pain in the ass, everyone would build them. And good smiths wouldn't get a ton of coin to build them. They charge accordingly because the guns are a pain in the ass to do right.

Many years ago before you appeared here there was a group buy on 1911 frames and slides. From what I remember the overwhelming majority had someone else build the gun out for
them, maybe like 3 or 4 guys did it themselves? I forget. I know there weren't many that didn't get jobbed out. If anyone from that GB that built their own is still around, it might be educational to cstockwell and others about how intricate these things are, to do them right.

ETA: Watch those videos of the dudes in the phillipines banging out illegal 1911s from/near Danao City. They're not pumping them out in big volume. They're doing a few guns here and there, not even one a day. And those guys are experienced.

Last edited:
Hi all - brand new to the forum.

I’m in the market for a new 1911 with the 5” barrel/Government Frame. Not planning to carry with it - just home defense and fun at the range.

I have relatively small and fat hands if that matters. I don’t love the grip on the smaller 1911s that I’ve tried.

My budget is $1000-1200 all in. I’m not a first time shooter but this will be the first handgun I’ve owned.

I’m looking for advice specifically around manufacturer/model and also magazines, as I’ve read that several mags can cause problems with 1911s. I’ve also read about problems with the ejector and have seen it referenced on some youtube videos but nothing specific. If anyone has advice around that as well it would be helpful.

Thanks e’rybody!

It's been 2 weeks, have you bought anything yet ?

Fitting the slide to frame, and barrel to slide, is a work of craftsmanship and art. Assembling a 1911 is not assembling a bunch of generic parts into an AR.

Actual entry level gov 1911, Rock Island Armory, and auto ordinance. Both in and around the $500 Price point, and both fairly close to “gov” spec, and will likely need a bit of refining.

Save your money until this thing goes into production.
Not a full on 1911, more of a hybrid, but I bet it will outrun one.

Or you could just go all the way. A friend is ordering an SVI open gun - $9K for high end best of everything.

A bucket list item for me is just to get an SVI Traditional .45 (or maybe get it chambered in 10mm Auto?) like the one I got to shoot at Shirley a long time ago when the SVI reps
came there with some guns to an NES shoot. That thing was like the slide was riding on glass, that was probably the smoothest 1911 single stack I ever fired.

A bucket list item for me is just to get an SVI Traditional .45 (or maybe get it chambered in 10mm Auto?) like the one I got to shoot at Shirley a long time ago when the SVI reps
came there with some guns to an NES shoot. That thing was like the slide was riding on glass, that was probably the smoothest 1911 single stack I ever fired.
Which shoot was that?

Which shoot was that?

I think it was a Pumpkin shoot like 800 years ago (or at least it feels like that). I remember the weather being cooler. I think it was two guys and a young lady demoing like 3 or 4 different SVI handguns.

Save your money until this thing goes into production.
Not a full on 1911, more of a hybrid, but I bet it will outrun one.

Oh damn. That looks like a game changer.

OP whatever you end up with, just take it as a given that most production 1911’s will need a little tweaking to reach acceptable reliability. One thing I do is immediately replace and fit a new extractor. Usually from Brown, WC or C&S. My 9mm Colt Competition was a shitfest out of the box. Honestly, I agree with others here who’ve mentioned 9mm 1911’s are generally garbage (mainly because the gun wasn’t designed to use that caliber) but after putting a Brown extractor and slightly heavier recoil spring in mine, it runs quite well. I still occasionally get FTF’s but I use that gun for steel competition only. In fact it did that on me at the last Walls event, costing me a few seconds.
My IDPA gun is a stainless R1 and has seen thousands of rounds with no issues. Again, first thing I did on it was put in a C&S extractor and 18lb recoil spring. I believe the stories I’ve heard about R1’s being crap, but mine is an excellent 1911 inside and out. It’s an Alabama made gun rather than a NY one. I read somewhere that the QC from the former is much than from the latter.

I think it was a Pumpkin shoot like 800 years ago (or at least it feels like that). I remember the weather being cooler. I think it was two guys and a young lady demoing like 3 or 4 different SVI handguns.
Ok, I remember now. Myself, Mark and his life partner Mary.

Unless one is remarkably gifted, being on a budget and shooting enough .45 to get proficient do not really go hand and hand. Even if the second purchase is a progressive press.

Hi all - thanks for all the advice and discussion here. It was definitely helpful.

I ended up getting a Sig P320-M17 9mm for home defense and I was going to stop there, but I asked if the dealer I was working with had a Sig 1911 to show and he pulled out the Emperor Scorpion. So I ended up picking up that too.

Sig won me over based on their customer service and reviews (it helps that I have someone in my circle of friends that works for Sig - I had totally forgotten this when I made my original post).

Shooting them both tomorrow for the first time - very excited. Got them both cleaned up a little and oiled this AM (and got familiar with the breakdown process).

Attachments

• D205DD25-389A-41A1-9919-E2B2F4D8DED8.jpeg
    D205DD25-389A-41A1-9919-E2B2F4D8DED8.jpeg
    260 KB · Views: 16
Hi all - thanks for all the advice and discussion here. It was definitely helpful.

I ended up getting a Sig P320-M17 9mm for home defense and I was going to stop there, but I asked if the dealer I was working with had a Sig 1911 to show and he pulled out the Emperor Scorpion. So I ended up picking up that too.

Sig won me over based on their customer service and reviews (it helps that I have someone in my circle of friends that works for Sig - I had totally forgotten this when I made my original post).

Shooting them both tomorrow for the first time - very excited. Got them both cleaned up a little and oiled this AM (and got familiar with the breakdown process).

congrats on the new blasters they look sweet.Let us know when the p320 goes up for sale lol jk. Don’t be afraid to run the 1911 wet they like it. If it don’t splat you with oil every shot you ain’t using enough. My Dan Wesson pm-9 is my favorite gun to shoot since getting it the plastic guns don’t even come outa the safe usually.

Back
Top Bottom