best starting point for new ar shooter?

I did a search but couldnt seem to find much. I was just wondering if there was a good place to start for a new ar-15 shooter. Any formal training or book suggestions?

www.ar15.com has a giant, very active forum. Not always the friendliest place, lots of what I'd call "meatheads", but there is a ton of good information. Their buy and sell forums are very active and good too for the myriad of accessories and stuff for ar's.

I did a search but couldnt seem to find much. I was just wondering if there was a good place to start for a new ar-15 shooter. Any formal training or book suggestions?

What are you looking for? The AR isn't much different from any other rifle out there. Would you need instructions on how to shoot a Remington 700 bolt action .223? The only thing you really need to know about an AR is to run it wet, otherwise it tends to fail to feed properly. Just dip the BCG in Mobil 1, shake it off, shove it in and keep shooting until you're out of ammo. Great rifle! Enjoy it and quit worrying about the other stuff. If you want to take a carbine course go for it! In fact, I'd recommend it. It's a bucket load of fun.

I triple check AR15.COM. Loads of info there. The crowd there isn't that bad. Lurk a litle bit until you get the feel for the forums and then speak up. Have lots of pictures to post, they like that.

What are you looking for? The AR isn't much different from any other rifle out there. Would you need instructions on how to shoot a Remington 700 bolt action .223? The only thing you really need to know about an AR is to run it wet, otherwise it tends to fail to feed properly. Just dip the BCG in Mobil 1, shake it off, shove it in and keep shooting until you're out of ammo. Great rifle! Enjoy it and quit worrying about the other stuff. If you want to take a carbine course go for it! In fact, I'd recommend it. It's a bucket load of fun.

I triple check AR15.COM. Loads of info there. The crowd there isn't that bad. Lurk a litle bit until you get the feel for the forums and then speak up. Have lots of pictures to post, they like that.

I run my ARs pretty dry and don't have problems.

You broke a bolt in two....

And I seem to remember an article on m4carbine.net (.com? idk) from one of the big carbine course instructors, about the things that always seemed to go wrong with guns during classes. He recommended running your AR as wet as you could.

And I seem to remember an article on m4carbine.net (.com? idk) from one of the big carbine course instructors, about the things that always seemed to go wrong with guns during classes. He recommended running your AR as wet as you could.

I also didn't clean it. Carbon build up mixed with a dry bolt caused it to break. If I would have stuck two drops of oil into the holes on the BCG the bolt wouldn't have broke, regardless of how dirty it was. Two drops is far from the 'wet' that has been described.

Running your bolt dripping wet may work if you clean your AR after every range session, but carbon from a high round count will mix with that oil and make sludge. When we would go to the range in the .mil they would have spray bolts filled with CLP that people would drown their bolts in, those people always seemed to have problems/jams too...

I run my AR drippppppppppppppppppping. If it ain't smoking after each shot, there isn't enough oil.

Before I ran a course one time I did that with my M16A2 and everytime I fired I had oil sprayed into my face/eyes. I couldn't see crap. Never again.

Last edited:
which is great if you're running the gun in easy positions to shoot from. the first time you put your bolt face into the sand or grass and all that oil carries crud into the chamber you're not going to be able to feed the next round. even after banging on the forward assist. you should be able to run a quality gun semi-dry to dry as a bone for at least 1,500 rds without worrying about it. no smoke. [wink]

This is why we have 'lube points', not 'submerge points' [laugh]

while were bringing up books, for Christmas I got Green Eyes and Black Rifles by Kyle Lamb. Havent read most of it yet though. anyone else read this? is it a solid book?

100% BS. whatever the manuf. suggests is what I run. for the bolt, 1 to 3 drops is fine... (i.e. a light coat of CLP)

running an AR wet is like running with high-heels. it can be done, but it's stupid.

I guess I will find out more info on the sites suggested. The ar seems to be more complicated than say a bolt or lever action rifle. Maybe its just me but I kinda like to know how everything works before I get into it. I dont like to break things cause of my own ignorance. How "wet" the bolt needs to be is a perfect example. Mobil 1 vs some other oil- stuff like that. Thanks

I guess I will find out more info on the sites suggested. The ar seems to be more complicated than say a bolt or lever action rifle. Maybe its just me but I kinda like to know how everything works before I get into it. I dont like to break things cause of my own ignorance. How "wet" the bolt needs to be is a perfect example. Mobil 1 vs some other oil- stuff like that. Thanks

Go down to your nearest Army/Marine recruiter and you'll get a ~10 week course on the AR-15 for free!! [wink]

If you you touch it and can see your fingerprint, its wet enough, if the oil is dripping off, its too wet. I run mine harley wet. it leaves oil stains behind. But it's a competition gun that does get put down in the sand and is cleaned before I shoot it. I run mobil 1

i have to get on this mobile 1 experiment.

as of now, it's like running synthetick oil in a Dodge Neon [laugh]

but i am going to try it...

Instead of running wet just use grease instead... it doesn't smoke and keeps it lubed, nothing burns off so it lasts longer.

I also second the appleseed suggestion, $70 for a weekend of training will teach you to shoot your AR (or any rifle) accurately and efficiently. If you are more into tactical shooting there are some other classes for that as well out there.

Appleseed is a great way to learn to shoot. I found Magpul's "Art of the Tactical carbine" DVDs to be quite valuable as well.

Dip the BCG in Mobil 1 and shake it off. Place BCG in receiver insert magazine and shoot until out of ammo. Insert another magazine. Keep inserting magazines after a 1000 rounds remove BCG, dip in Mobil 1, shake off. Place BCG in receiver, insert magazine and shoot until out of ammo, Insert another magazine.... and on-and-on.

Run it wet.

GI's use to dip the BCG in jet fuel (JP-4 a light kerosene) before going on patrol.

Last edited:
DO NOT be intimidated by the AR. I swear to God people make it out to be a thousand times more complicated than it really is. The Marine Corp tech Manual (available pretty cheap) will tell you way more than you will ever need to know about the AR.

Back
Top Bottom