Better Be Planting This Year. 2022+ And Up MEGATHREAD

I'll be heading out to the garden later today, rain or no rain, to grab some of the maters that were just about ready for picking. Don't need to go out in a couple days and see all the good ones split from the extra water.

We didnt let the lemon spice peppers mature enough this year as most were still a lime green at time of picking. Found one yesterday that is a nice bright yellow. Lesson for next year.

Our bell peppers were weird. The generic bell that we always do wound up with rot or soft spots, didn't really grow very large. Planted a couple new varieties that did much better and were quite prolific.

Thankful for the rain for sure.

For those who may be interested…

Managed six quarts of 'spoon standing' sauce from yesterdays haul. We've got five pints of tomato juice going which should be done canning in a bit.

Wife gathered some additional bounty while I was working on the sauce.

Garden has done us well this year.

Attachments

• Resized952022082395165509.jpg
    Resized952022082395165509.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 7
this is the first year Ive gotten "grocery store" sized peppers. Im very pleased. had a lot of 'corking' on all my peppers. something about growing faster inside than out. not usually seen in the store like that, but no degradation of flavor at all, the jalapeños actually seem spicier. I am looking forward to some of the jalapeños I still have growing, as I only recently learned they will turn red. I always only see them green.
Same same on my jalapeño. I was tempted to pick them as they are enormous. I’d love to see them red

So with the monsoons that came through recently, did anyone else's tomatoes explode? At least 80% of my cherry tomatoes split, not happy but I've had enough of them anyway.
Maybe a third of my cherry tomatoes split? No matter, I tossed them into tonight's bisque with the big tomatoes. 1661472285869.png

Sweet basil grown by my kid.

Attachments

• 1661472199714.png
    1661472199714.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
So with the monsoons that came through recently, did anyone else's tomatoes explode? At least 80% of my cherry tomatoes split, not happy but I've had enough of them anyway.
Have not checked yet, now I'm afraid to do so .... in any event, they will not go to waste (either that or the critters will abscond with them).

Reminds me of the time a couple of years ago when I was sitting in my shed (which overlooks the garden) having a smoke and then this little bastard of a mouse comes into the shed, unhindered by my presence, with a cherry tomato in his mouth, like he owned the place.

Last edited:
Just a quick grab between showers. Love the color on that lemon spice!

We did have a few splits on the amish paste. Nothing to worry about as we grabbed anything that looked even close to ready on our sauce tomatoes. Since then the roma are going bonkers, pulled out another half batch of them today. Going to be ready for another sauce run by end of weekend.

We did have a few splits on the amish paste. Nothing to worry about as we grabbed anything that looked even close to ready on our sauce tomatoes. Since then the roma are going bonkers, pulled out another half batch of them today. Going to be ready for another sauce run by end of weekend.
Ima plant Romas next year. Mrs. Mountain picked up an immersion blender for my bisque making adventure and it did a fantastic job of turning the lumpy cooking tomatoes into a smooth bisque. Ridiculously easy- just put in cooking pot and press button.

Back
Top Bottom