BillO’s 45ACP Full Moon Clip Storage Tube

Saw something like this at an IDPA match and WAMCO makes something similar for reloading 22 rifles with a tube magazine. Here’s how to make three eleven 45ACP full moon clip (66 rounds each tube) storage tubes.
45tube.jpg

You need:
1 ¾” hole saw
One four foot ½” dowel
One TGT12 CL four foot Polycarbonate Fluorescent Tube Guard ($2 Home Depot)
Epoxy Glue
Three SAE Size #20 hose clamps (Home Depot)
Small piece of ¾ inch plywood
Half inch drill bit.
Drill

1) Cut tube guard and dowels into three 16” pieces.
2) Cut three 1 ¾ inch holes into ¾ inch plywood, carefully knock out the cut-outs and lightly sand.
3) Drill ½ holes into the plywood “wheels” (don’t know what else to call them).
4) Slightly round out each dowel end, and epoxy one side of each dowel end into the ½ inch holes of the plywood “wheels”.
5) Slip one of the 16 inch tubes over the dowel/plywood wheel
6) Place hose clamp over the end of the tube and tighten
7) Fill with full moon clips, and secure open end with either original end cap that came with the tube guards, or use an office paper clamp.

Hope it works for you as well as it does for me.
BillO
[wink]

Last edited:
looks real good.

How about epoxying the 'wheels' into the tube. That way the clamp is not needed and gives the tube a smooth outside with nothing to snag.

A little clear Silicone would work too.

Nice idea but it looks a little on the bulky side. A major match for me is 300 rounds so I bring 400. That would be 7 tubes. The flat boxes seem to work better. One large one small and I have over 400 rounds.

You need to see my range cart [smile]

Regards,

A little clear Silicone would work too.

Nice idea but it looks a little on the bulky side. A major match for me is 300 rounds so I bring 400. That would be 7 tubes. The flat boxes seem to work better. One large one small and I have over 400 rounds.

You need to see my range cart [smile]

Regards,

Oh well, there goes my millions in patent rights [sad2]
Had fun doing it and it'll work for me. The idea came to me and I had fun putting it together. Going to try the "tupperware" storage approach as well. I guess having bent clips can ruin your day and I'm told you have to take care of them. On another note, I just HAVE to check out one of those matches ! You shoot 300 rounds in ONE match? Wow.

Oh well, there goes my millions in patent rights [sad2]
Had fun doing it and it'll work for me. The idea came to me and I had fun putting it together. Going to try the "tupperware" storage approach as well. I guess having bent clips can ruin your day and I'm told you have to take care of them. On another note, I just HAVE to check out one of those matches ! You shoot 300 rounds in ONE match? Wow.

Not Tupperware, PLANO [wink]

http://www.huntingfishinginc.com/2pkpl37prst.html

http://www.huntingfishinginc.com/2pkpl36pradd.html

If you want to shoot 300 rounds in a match, you need to try USPSA. Most major match round count is 250 and up. You can shoot up to 32 rounds on one stage More if you miss a lot [smile]

Regards,

Back
Top Bottom