Binos instead of spotting scope?

You will be able to see what you need to with those. But, you will also have to break your position more to use them & you might find them a little cumbersome.

Binos are not a bad idea for scoring except for the fact that you need to pay attention to make sure your looking and scoring the correct target. A scope on a tripod is easier since it stays pointed at the target.

If Binos is all you have, then go with them. I took a buddy to a clinic three weeks ago and all he had was binos. However don't buy a pair for HP. Almost any spotting scope attached to a stand would work.

B

EDIT: TBP posted that the Celestron 80mm scope was on sale. Only problem with this one is that you need to have a stand like the Ray Vin, because the scope doesn't have a rotating band.

Last edited:
So question- for highpower, is it such a bad idea to go with binoculars instead of a spotting scope?

Yes, it is a bad idea. You need a spotting scope that allows you to quickly glance through the scope to see the mirage and where you hit. And you need to be able to do that with your rifle in your hands, your sling wrapped around your arm, and with a minimal change in position.

There is a reason that you'll see a lot of angle-bodied Kowa spotting scopes on the line: http://www.swfa.com/c-1171-kowa-tsn880-series-spotters.aspx

You don't have time to be messing about with your binoculars. You need to be able to just move your head a little bit to check through the scope, then get back on target through your sights.

Back when I was doing service rifle, I used a cheap spotting scope that I bought used, with a stand from Champion's Choice: http://www.champchoice.com/detail.php?item=CC500S

That stand cost more than my scope [laugh]

I've wondered if those high-powered image stabilized binoculars from Canon would make a good alternative to a spotting scope. Normally you can't really hand-hold binoculars above 8x because the image jumps around too much, but with the image stablizer, they have up to 18x !

I've wondered if those high-powered image stabilized binoculars from Canon would make a good alternative to a spotting scope. Normally you can't really hand-hold binoculars above 8x because the image jumps around too much, but with the image stablizer, they have up to 18x !

Just not going to work for service rifle. You need to be able to look through the scope with minimal movement of your head and without using your hands (which are both still holding your rifle). You don't have time to be break your position and then reacquire it.

Back
Top Bottom