• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Birch Hill WMA

What do you know about it? The good, the bad, the ugly. Just looking for some basic knowledge about the area. Going to be up camping at Lake Dennison soon and want to check out the WMA. Maybe do a little squirrel hunting. Or even possibly look for a bear.

What do you know about it? The good, the bad, the ugly. Just looking for some basic knowledge about the area. Going to be up camping at Lake Dennison soon and want to check out the WMA. Maybe do a little squirrel hunting. Or even possibly look for a bear.
We live literally just up the street and I've ridden my bike throughout Birch Hill and Lake Dennison. The only hunters I've seen in the area are deer and bird (pheasant?). Lots of people fishing.
Be aware that there are biking and hiking trails throughout the area. They're not heavily traveled but they do exist. The WMA has houses on 2.5-3 sides (Winchendon Rd, Norcross Rd, part of Burgess Rd.). Priest Brook marks the east boundary and there's no good place to cross it other than the roads. The easiest access is Burgess Rd but note there's a locked gate just west of Priest Brook.
I've seen a bear in the north part of the WMA, north of Winchendon Rd, and they're reported in the general area of Winchendon, but I've not seen evidence in the main area of the WMA. There's definitely deer, turkey, fowl and squirrel in the area. I'll be honest, hiking and biking through the area I've always been struck by the relative quiet, and apparent lack of significant wildlife for such a quiet place. Regardless, it's a great place to explore and walk the woods.

Do you know if the stock pheasant there?

This map will probably get updated as the pheasant opener gets closer, but it s a good place to start.

This map will probably get updated as the pheasant opener gets closer, but it s a good place to start.

Yeah, I don’t actually trust that. They are still showing that they are stocking the Knightville Damn basin three days a week. It’s been closed to public access since the spring of 21.

Yeah, I don’t actually trust that. They are still showing that they are stocking the Knightville Damn basin three days a week. It’s been closed to public access since the spring of 21.
I think the answer is yes, based on the traffic I've seen in previous years.

Mass F&W has done some excellent, much needed, long overdue cutting the last few years. Awesome, appreciated, but contiguous and a spit in the ocean.The boston road, due to its easy access via truck gets hammered during archery through muzzleloader. Everything from mountain bikes, bikes pulled by dogs in harnesses, Xcountry skiers, runners, dog walkers to snow machines use the road frequently. It once held grouse and the cutting may encourage the return of a few years from now.

The last couple of years, about a month out, they do a controlled burn in Southwick. They did a lot of timber cutting last year there as well.

The last couple of years, about a month out, they do a controlled burn in Southwick. They did a lot of timber cutting last year there as well.

They did it again last week although they didn't burn too much.
They burned it pretty good in the spring.. not sure why they need to burn it again every Sept but who knows with F&W.

Back
Top Bottom