• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Black powder 12 gauge rounds

45collector

NES Member
I've got a 130 year old double barrel shotgun and it's about time I fire it. The gun is in pristine condition for it's age and the bores are bright and clean. It's mechanically sound and everything locks up tight. Both hammer block safeties work as well. I understand most folks that shoot these load their own hulls. Before I get into doing that, I'd like to find a box of factory loaded BP rounds just to try it out and see if I like shooting it. Anyone have an idea of where I could find such rounds locally? (SE MA/ Plymouth/ Cape area)

I was thinking of taking this old gun duck/ pheasant hunting just for the novelty of it, if indeed it's a nice shooter.

Hunters Rendezvous in Pepperell has had some 12g Goex BP shells in the past, but I am not sure he ever got any more. Worth a call though.

The Gun Room in Worcester had some at one point in time as well, out back in the cowboy section. Again, wouldn't know about whether they have any left these days.

There's always brass 12g shells and loading yourself! Quite easy to do actually.

I guess I'll have to go the loading myself route. I read somewhere that you shouldn't shoot steel shot through these old guns. Anyone know if thats definitely a no-no? If I can't hunt duck with it I may not even bother.

I guess I'll have to go the loading myself route. I read somewhere that you shouldn't shoot steel shot through these old guns. Anyone know if thats definitely a no-no? If I can't hunt duck with it I may not even bother.

I wouldnt, if its a BP gun I'd say theres no way the barrels are steel rated, and you'll scratch the h3!! out of the bores. Not sure if any of the other non-lead ammo would be a suitable lead substitute in that regard. Theres always trap/skeet...

I wouldnt, if its a BP gun I'd say theres no way the barrels are steel rated, and you'll scratch the h3!! out of the bores. Not sure if any of the other non-lead ammo would be a suitable lead substitute in that regard. Theres always trap/skeet...

Wouldn't the wad cup prevent that?

-tapatalk and Devin McCourty blow chunks-

I would just use a well buffered round with a good wad as long as the choke was appropriate.

Wouldn't the wad cup prevent that?

-tapatalk and Devin McCourty blow chunks-

I would like to think so, but after seeing what my friend did to the barrel of his Browning A5 (It really did bring a tear to my eye) I would be cautious.

ETA:

Maybe you could use some of the stuff listed at the bottom?

http://www.chuckhawks.com/steel_shot.htm

Last edited:
I think I'll probably just stay away from steel altogether with this gun, if I end up getting ammo for it. I could always hunt upland game if I really wanted to get it out into the field. It's way heavier than my modern SxS though so there wouldn't be much point in it. Most likely I'll just have some fun with it at the skeet range, clean the hell out of it and just hang it back on the wall.

Thanks for all your responses.

Back
Top Bottom