• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

black powder in SE Mass?

When Estes bought Goex they supposedly ramped up production again in September of last year. Still haven't seen anything besides Pyrodex P (bleh) on the shelves though.

When Estes bought Goex they supposedly ramped up production again in September of last year. Still haven't seen anything besides Pyrodex P (bleh) on the shelves though.
That's largely due to real black powder having more costly storage requirements than subs, so most lgs not wanting to spend more than they have to don't bother stocking it and opt to stock substitutes and what sells is what's cheapest and Pyrodex is the cheapest and also the worst substitute in terms of cleaning, even with lube the fouling is basically like tar.

That said, Pyrodex is pretty accurate.

Keep an eye out for Triple 7, it's much easier to clean and also packs more energy.

That's largely due to real black powder having more costly storage requirements than subs, so most lgs not wanting to spend more than they have to don't bother stocking it and opt to stock substitutes and what sells is what's cheapest and Pyrodex is the cheapest and also the worst substitute in terms of cleaning, even with lube the fouling is basically like tar.

That said, Pyrodex is pretty accurate.

Keep an eye out for Triple 7, it's much easier to clean and also packs more energy.
I have some Triple7 somewhere.
I like real BP over any of the subs for shooting the cap and ball revolvers.
The smell, the noise, the thump, and clean-up are all better with BP over subs IMO.

For my .50 ML it's Pyrodex pellets of course. I've never tried to fire that with loose BP.

FYI i just got an email update from Paula at Maine Powder House and she recently received a small shipment of Goex. So be patient, Goex is back into production !

FYI i just got an email update from Paula at Maine Powder House and she recently received a small shipment of Goex. So be patient, Goex is back into production !
Now if only caps would be available I'd be in business and find the motivation to buy that Pietta Pepperbox I've been looking at.

Back
Top Bottom