Bluing thread

Brownells oxy blue or blue wonder both work good for touch up. I found warming the area with a hair dryer and applying works well..... I did a complete gun in cold blue. As much as it looked like a home do over it looked 100% better.
If there is any pitting its going to look a bit off anyway.
The birchwood casey blue pen works ok for small spots.

Brownells oxy blue or blue wonder both work good for touch up. I found warming the area with a hair dryer and applying works well..... I did a complete gun in cold blue. As much as it looked like a home do over it looked 100% better.
If there is any pitting its going to look a bit off anyway.
The birchwood casey blue pen works ok for small spots.

No pitting, just some small scratches and some worn areas that need some love.

No pitting, just some small scratches and some worn areas that need some love.
blueing really will not "hide" any scratches or heavy wear. As it will be a different color. the good thing is you can just look past it and it will wear again and you can try something new.

I used the Birchwood Casey to touch up a gun with a lot of holster rash. It came out pretty good and has held up so far. Warming the metal up is supposed to make a big difference as well as using multiple light coats. I was able to blend it in to the original finish.
i cleaned it up real good initially,used some 0000 steel wool, washed it with alcohol and then started the process. I think it is like most projects of this type, preparation and patience are the keys to getting a decent result

I've tried every cold blue on the market and for my money the very best product out there for durability and consistency of finish is the Kleen Bore Black Magic product. (http://www.amazon.com/Kleen-Bore-Bl...9207732&sr=8-1&keywords=black+magic+cold+blue)

If you are able to bead blast or sand blast the part you are using this stuff on before you apply it, it will look a lot like a factory matte finish. Otherwise, a consistent scotch-brite/steel wool polish will look alright as well.

Back
Top Bottom