• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Books for a firearm owner/enthusiast/larper

What books related to firearms or firearm-adjacent have you found interesting, educational, or mind-blowing?
Hopefully, this will become a helpful thread. Here, I'll start:

• "Long Range Shooting Handbook: The Complete Beginner's Guide to Precision Rifle Shooting" by Ryan Kleckner. This book is perhaps the best for anyone wanting to learn about precision shooting. The author explains MOA, MIL, and the difference better than anyone I've read. He has this easy way of explaining terms/tools/techniques without being too technical or academic. He intermingles theory with stories of being an Army Ranger sniper. Easy read, excellent knowledge.
  • "On Killing: The Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Society" by Dave Grossman. This book delves into human nature regarding killing through the collected research of many scientists and over a century of studies. Killing is the most unnatural thing we, as humans, are capable of doing. If you intend to carry for self-defense, you need to come to terms with the fact that you may be required to kill. This book helps one have a deeper view of killing and whether it is for you or not.
  • "Process and Progress Pistol Training: Proven Methods to Structure Your Practice" by Drew Estell. How do you go about becoming proficient with a pistol? This book is a great resource to help you along your training journey. It doesn't just give you the "how" to shoot or "what" drills to practice. More importantly, it gives you the "why" of everything, helping you become a proficient shooter who knows why some things work and others don't when it comes to training.
  • "The Gift of Fear: Survival Signals That Protect Us from Violence" by Gavin de Becker. This one is an oldie, but it still resonates today! The author teaches you how to become aware of your surroundings, detect the threat, or avoid it. He does it through many stories, making it easy to understand the subject.
  • "The Complete Guide to AR-15 Accuracy" by Barrett Tillman and Derrick Marting. This is an ancient book, but it provides a great introduction to what contributes to AR precision. Sometimes, things that we think should make precisions better only worsen them. The book teaches you to identify why precision is missing and how to fix it. I wish the book was re-issued or someone else has a contemporary version of "accurizing your AR."
Are there other books you would recommend?

Last edited:
The ‘BIBLE’ … for anyone who really wants to learn how to shoot! The science behind the ‘WHY’ is incredibly interesting! Knowing the WHY to do things helps me understand and apply the WHAT.

591AF70C-E459-41A6-9774-76125454FE3F.jpeg

Also for the highpower shooters (increased my scores with the M1!) is ‘Sight Alignment, Trigger Control & The Big Lie” by Jim ‘Jarhead’ Owens, link = Jarheadtop.com Home Page

Dave Grossman - On Killing
Emotional Survival for Law Enforcement - Kevin Gilmartin
Verbal Judo Johnson/Jenkins
Police Operations: Theory and Practice - Karen Hess
The Warrior Within - Bruce Lee

American Rifle, by Rose
The Art of the Rifle, by Cooper
To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth, by Cooper
Principles of Personal Defense, by Cooper
(Almost anything by Cooper)
In the Gravest Extreme, by Ayoob.
(Almost anything by Ayoob)
Fighting Smarter, by Givens
Concealed Carry Class, by Givens
(Almost anything by Givens)
Deadliest Men: The World`s Deadliest Combatants Throughout The Ages, by Kirchner
More of the Deadliest Men Who Ever Lived, by Kirchner
Jim Cirillo's Tales of the Stakeout Squad, by Kirchner

Back
Top Bottom