Bow Hunting

I've bowhunted off and on (depending on my back and shoulders) and will tell you, it takes alot more than just the equipment. You've got to shoot, shoot, shoot and then practice, practice, practice. Like any type of hunting, anyone can do it. But you've got to consistently hit your target with a kill shot to be good at it. Wounding game and letting them get away to die later is not what we want. Therefore learning to track game (wounded or not) is also key. Be aware that a 200 lb. deer is almost as flat as a pancake when it's dead on the ground. And it won't be lying in an easy area.
Also a plus is garnering expertise from shooting from elevated positions. There is a big difference.
You'll like it. You will actually see more game than normal.

This site has a wealth of information on choosing a bow, figuring out your draw length and other things. They also offer complete packages fo ready-to-hunt bows all set up, "paper tuned" (so the arrows fly true) and roughly sighted in, complete with case.

Some of the pricing might look steep but it's the whole shebang, ready to go. All you need is a place to go, a day off, a tree stand and some deer. [smile]

I got a Diamond Liberty from them last year and it's a really sweet set -up.

FWIW; Shooting from a treestand is a tad different for a longer range shot. I've set up a fixed stand in the back to practice from, I use a climber in the field.

This forum is the stick flinger's version of NES. I've never had any bad advice from them.

Thanks! I checked out that site earlier. They've got an entry level set up, supposedly with everything I need, for under 400 bucks.

Do you really need a tree stand? Why can't you shoot from ground level like with a firearm?

I love to bowhunt when I can. I will be in the Beartown State Forest this Nov. for a week doing it. With any luck I will get either a deer or bear.
There is a place in Middleboro called "Reedys". Go there and tell them what you want to do and they can hook you up. Lots of the bow shooters go there because they know their stuff. I go to Jerry's in Milford because he is closer and knows his stuff as well.

I love to bowhunt when I can. I will be in the Beartown State Forest this Nov. for a week doing it. With any luck I will get either a deer or bear.
There is a place in Middleboro called "Reedys". Go there and tell them what you want to do and they can hook you up. Lots of the bow shooters go there because they know their stuff. I go to Jerry's in Milford because he is closer and knows his stuff as well.

I have to travel to Milford tomorrow. Maybe I'll stop in.

I have to travel to Milford tomorrow. Maybe I'll stop in.
Excellent!
My buddy got a sweet deal on a lefty bow from him last week. I guess all the new bows are starting to hit the market so he got a deal on a leftover. Those bow manufacturers are very tight with what's coming out in the new year, sucks. I am due for a new bow but waiting on the new 08's and tax returns to get one. Once your done setting up a nice bow your in it for about 1000-1200 bucks. I am going for the new Mathews Drenalin, I love that bow. I have yet to find a drenalin owner that doesn't like the bow.
I am sure you could get a sweet starter bow and goodies for allot less.
Here is his Phone # 508-473-9748

Excellent!
My buddy got a sweet deal on a lefty bow from him last week. I guess all the new bows are starting to hit the market so he got a deal on a leftover. Those bow manufacturers are very tight with what's coming out in the new year, sucks. I am due for a new bow but waiting on the new 08's and tax returns to get one. Once your done setting up a nice bow your in it for about 1000-1200 bucks. I am going for the new Mathews Drenalin, I love that bow. I have yet to find a drenalin owner that doesn't like the bow.
I am sure you could get a sweet starter bow and goodies for allot less.
Here is his Phone # 508-473-9748

Thanks! I hope so. If I knew I was going to stick with it, I'd have no problem dumping a grand into it. However, I'm not sure I will, so I'm looking at these starter sets for now.

Thanks! I hope so. If I knew I was going to stick with it, I'd have no problem dumping a grand into it. However, I'm not sure I will, so I'm looking at these starter sets for now.
I would suggest having one of archery places take your measurements so you can at least get the right draw length. But be careful, I need a longer draw length bow from mathews than I do PSE [thinking].

I would suggest having one of archery places take your measurements so you can at least get the right draw length. But be careful, I need a longer draw length bow from mathews than I do PSE [thinking].

It sounds complicated. Perhaps I should stick with firearms until I can find a place to get some bow time.

It sounds complicated. Perhaps I should stick with firearms until I can find a place to get some bow time.

It sounds more complicated than it really is. The complicated part for you is everyday business for a good archery shop, Reedy's is an excellent shop, they measure people and set up bows a lot. Shooting will come to you quicker than you think, the shop you buy from will get you going in the right direction. Also hunting from a tree stand is much easier than the ground because moving and drawing a bow is a lot more movement than shouldering a rifle or shotgun. Most bow shots are 30 yards or less and a deer will notice the slightest movement. Being 15 or 20 feet up is a little more out of a deers sight but you'll be surprised how many deer will look right up at you. My 2 cents

It sounds more complicated than it really is. The complicated part for you is everyday business for a good archery shop, Reedy's is an excellent shop, they measure people and set up bows a lot. Shooting will come to you quicker than you think, the shop you buy from will get you going in the right direction. Also hunting from a tree stand is much easier than the ground because moving and drawing a bow is a lot more movement than shouldering a rifle or shotgun. Most bow shots are 30 yards or less and a deer will notice the slightest movement. Being 15 or 20 feet up is a little more out of a deers sight but you'll be surprised how many deer will look right up at you. My 2 cents

Reedy's is also far away, unfortunately. I'm on the north shore.

Martlet, I'm just using Reedys as an example, they are a great shop but not the only game in town. There must be a good shop up near you. Take a look around and talk to some folks, what have you got to lose? Bow season is 6 weeks and the hunting during the peak of the rut can be awesome.

Martlet, I'm just using Reedys as an example, they are a great shop but not the only game in town. There must be a good shop up near you. Take a look around and talk to some folks, what have you got to lose? Bow season is 6 weeks and the hunting during the peak of the rut can be awesome.

Absolutely nothing to lose. I'll swing by Jerry's tomorrow if I get out early enough. I'll have to poke around for an archery store, though. I don't know of any around here. I looked at Dick's and KTP this week. Neither place had a single person that knew the first thing about bows and bow hunting. I'm getting quite a bit of info off some of the archery sites, though. The trick is finding a local place to outfit me so I won't have to order online, since it's my first rig.

Absolutely nothing to lose. I'll swing by Jerry's tomorrow if I get out early enough. I'll have to poke around for an archery store, though. I don't know of any around here. I looked at Dick's and KTP this week. Neither place had a single person that knew the first thing about bows and bow hunting. I'm getting quite a bit of info off some of the archery sites, though. The trick is finding a local place to outfit me so I won't have to order online, since it's my first rig.
Then I hope Jerry himself is there tomorow. I think you will enjoy the visit. I bet all of the shops are busy as hell right now, just before hunting season.

Martlet...

3 things...

1) There's a place in Burlington that will fit you...I forget his name this very second, but he advertises in The Outdoor Message every month. Look for his ad.

2) I've bowhunted in the past, and I used a treestand as well. It gives you a better picture, and helps you follow the deer/target better after the shot. I've never really seen anything in the little bit of rifle hunting I did, but the one deer I've harvested was with a bow. It's a feeling of satisfaction.

3) My quick advice...Go get setup with a bow, arrows, etc. and practice. Practice practice practice, and then once you can be accurate at 10 yards, then 20, then up to say 30 yards, then you can consider hunting with it.

Just my 0.02

I looked at Dick's and KTP this week. Neither place had a single person that knew the first thing about bows and bow hunting.
The staff at KTP has always done good by me. Wonder if you went on a bad day or something? Although I've heard people say KTP was high on their prices this is the first time I've heard them called less than knowledgeable. Hope things work out for you.

Then I hope Jerry himself is there tomorow. I think you will enjoy the visit. I bet all of the shops are busy as hell right now, just before hunting season.

I met Jerry today. I went in looking for a low end package for @ 400 bucks. I walked out with a Hoyt for @ 750 (including the trimmings). Isn't that always the case? To be fair, he started out showing me the very bottom of the barrel, then worked his way up. He spent time explaining each bow, and why the price difference. In the end, I opted to toss in a few more dollars to get a decent package that had a few options to make it easier for a noob. I could have started for less, but I picked up a good case and a few other things.

Then he took me upstairs to teach me to shoot. The range is 20 yds. It didn't take me long to hit consistently in the kill zone at that range. He said I could hunt tomorrow if I wanted to, but the more I practice the better I'll get, and the longer shots I can take.

Over all, I was very pleased with your suggestion. He took about 3 hours with me. You can't ask for much more.

AND I met Vince Wilfork and his family, who came in to buy some bow/fishing supplies. What a great guy. He was down to earth and a pleasure to speak with. He loves talking about bow hunting. I didn't even know who he was until someone whispered it to me.

Sounds like you got a great deal. I'd reccommend an extra set or two of broadheads. They "fly" a little different than target points.

Good luck with your new bow.
maptarget.gif

I am not at all surprised you went the better package route, you get what you pay for. Glad to hear he spent the time with you on the range as well, again I am not surprised, try to get that service on the net. A pro shop relationship is worth having, if you have troubles, say a broadhead nics your string, I'm sure he'll help to get you back in the woods ASAP. Funny you mention meeting V. Wilfork at the shop I have met Matt Light at Reedy's a couple of times. About broadheads if he did not reccomend them try looking at some of the mechanicals on the market. They fly a lot better than a fixed blade and for the most part work very well. Congrats on your purchase and go buy your archery stamp the season is almost here.

I am not at all surprised you went the better package route, you get what you pay for. Glad to hear he spent the time with you on the range as well, again I am not surprised, try to get that service on the net. A pro shop relationship is worth having, if you have troubles, say a broadhead nics your string, I'm sure he'll help to get you back in the woods ASAP. Funny you mention meeting V. Wilfork at the shop I have met Matt Light at Reedy's a couple of times. About broadheads if he did not reccomend them try looking at some of the mechanicals on the market. They fly a lot better than a fixed blade and for the most part work very well. Congrats on your purchase and go buy your archery stamp the season is almost here.

Thanks for the suggestion! Jerry was great.

I don't get out that way much, so I bought broadheads while I was there. I'd rather give him my business. He explained them to me, then made a suggestion when I asked. I bought mechanical broadheads, the same ones he uses.

You know, the indians used to make their own from branches. It doesn't HAVE to be complicated. Of course, they MADE their own, and I guess you could even say they were custom made. (-:

Thanks! I checked out that site earlier. They've got an entry level set up, supposedly with everything I need, for under 400 bucks.

Do you really need a tree stand? Why can't you shoot from ground level like with a firearm?

It's a challenge. I shot one deer from a tree stand and hated it. I would rather
shoot on the ground. A lot more challenging if that is what you are looking for. If
it is just meat rather than the experience then the tree stand gives you a better
chance for a better shot. I have taken four deer from ground stands with a bow,
each one a tremendous experience vs the one from the tree stand. That one was
like shooting fish in a barrel to me.

The difference is that on the ground you are in/on the deer's comfort and safety
zone vs the tree. You have to have a good understanding of the surrounding
environment, and the strengths/weaknesses/limitations of both yourself and your
quarry, in order to be successful. Most hunters don't want to take the time to get
that involved so tree stands give them a better chance at success.

Last edited:
I met Jerry today. I went in looking for a low end package for @ 400 bucks. I walked out with a Hoyt for @ 750 (including the trimmings). Isn't that always the case? To be fair, he started out showing me the very bottom of the barrel, then worked his way up. He spent time explaining each bow, and why the price difference. In the end, I opted to toss in a few more dollars to get a decent package that had a few options to make it easier for a noob. I could have started for less, but I picked up a good case and a few other things.

Then he took me upstairs to teach me to shoot. The range is 20 yds. It didn't take me long to hit consistently in the kill zone at that range. He said I could hunt tomorrow if I wanted to, but the more I practice the better I'll get, and the longer shots I can take.

Over all, I was very pleased with your suggestion. He took about 3 hours with me. You can't ask for much more.

AND I met Vince Wilfork and his family, who came in to buy some bow/fishing supplies. What a great guy. He was down to earth and a pleasure to speak with. He loves talking about bow hunting. I didn't even know who he was until someone whispered it to me.

Great !!!
I am glad things worked out well for you. It is a great hobby, now you need a cheap fletching rig [smile] That way you can replace all of those fletches you rip off from good groups.
Vince Wilfork is a big hunter, no pun intended. We bumped into him hunting a couple of years ago in Foxboro.

picked up my ascending tree stand today. I've never used one, so if you never hear from me again, you know it didn't work out so well.

picked up my ascending tree stand today. I've never used one, so if you never hear from me again, you know it didn't work out so well.

Some climbers have a strap to connect the foot platform part to the seat part. Iffin yours don't, I'd suggest five feet of rope to connect the two.

Otherwise you could be here.

...with the platform here,

...and you have to get down here. [smile]
Eventually. [thinking]

Back
Top Bottom