• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bow hunting isn’t easy.

Atlantis

NES Member
There I said it. I bought the saddle, the platform, some steps, fancy ascenders, cameras, so of course I’m going to slay these deer right? Wrong. Very humbled by reality. I’m not quiet enough, im not still enough, and generally not close enough. If it was muzzleloader season I’d have some nice meat aging as we speak, but 100yrds is not happening for me and a bow (no I didn’t/won’t try something that stupid, just saying I’m seeing them at those distances). Looking forward to learning and progressing but I can tell that timeline is years not weeks. Better late than never I guess.

It can be humbling for sure.

View attachment 815852
The accuracy lol
Keep at it. The saddle provides a lot of flexibility, which you need because it's all about the wind. And you need days in the tree. I used to get one every year in Mass. But I hung many days in a tree.
I’ve had 4 morning sits and 2 all day sits and 1 evening sit so far. The flexibility is great but also comes with the potential for my ADD to result in lots of movement. Also it seems like the positions that lend themselves to me being still also require the most movement to get back into a shooting position. But agreed, time in the saddle and time in the woods is the answer.
I'd it was easy it would be called bow shooting
I was promised nothing but broadside 20yrd shots the moment I joined the saddle army. I’ve been misled 😂

There I said it. I bought the saddle, the platform, some steps, fancy ascenders, cameras, so of course I’m going to slay these deer right? Wrong. Very humbled by reality. I’m not quiet enough, im not still enough, and generally not close enough. If it was muzzleloader season I’d have some nice meat aging as we speak, but 100yrds is not happening for me and a bow (no I didn’t/won’t try something that stupid, just saying I’m seeing them at those distances). Looking forward to learning and progressing but I can tell that timeline is years not weeks. Better late than never I guess.
If your hunting Central/Western MA.......bowhunting is extremely tough, even though there is a lot of open land to hunt with very little competition.

I used to take one every other year, but I was selective and passed one or two. But I bet I sat 80 hours to kill a decent buck every other year in Central MA.

I started hunting other states and didn't look back, because I can kill a deer there in a lot less time, and then always have a few sits in MA as well.

Last edited:
The accuracy lol

I’ve had 4 morning sits and 2 all day sits and 1 evening sit so far. The flexibility is great but also comes with the potential for my ADD to result in lots of movement. Also it seems like the positions that lend themselves to me being still also require the most movement to get back into a shooting position. But agreed, time in the saddle and time in the woods is the answer.
Last year I adopted use of a very lightweight stand instead of that stupid little platform and you don't have to move around as much to shoot if your not facing the tree. Last deer I shot, I would have never been able to shoot if I was saddle only.

Add to that I was never comfortable in a saddle only. But being hybrid with the small stand I can sit either way, and hang off the edge to shoot if need be.

Add to that......I set in a good located hemlock tree half the time, I love all the limbs for concealment, with saddle hunting becomes a pain....on a platform I can face away and move around them if needed.

I use the saddle as my safety harness now whatever stand I'm in, also dont' have to deal with kneepads and other crap.

Saddle hunting is a fad for younger guys mostly who watch Utube........I'd rather sit a comfortable stand...but if walk in a far ways its probably the best setup. Or only hunt a few hours.
Moving alot....I can set up a stand nearly as fast as a saddle setup and Im much more comfortable, and not move nearly as much when it comes to shot time. If you watch half of these saddle guys they get busted all the time.

I know people that use saddles and have their own private hunting land....I have no idea why. I'd be hunting preset stands, rather than dealing with climbing trees every morning or afternoon.

Last edited:
What were the deer doing ?
Any chance calling may have helped bring them in......tis the season

If your hunting Central/Western MA.......bowhunting is extremely tough, even though there is a lot of open land to hunt with very little competition.

I used to take one every other year, but I was selective and passed one or two. But I bet I sat 80 hours to kill a decent buck every other year in Central MA.

I started hunting other states and didn't look back, because I can kill a deer there in a lot less time, and then always have a few sits in MA as well.

I was shocked at how little road kill there was this year. I drove 250 miles last week to hunting locations and only saw two dead deer. In years past I would see10-15 easy making those drives during that week.

DFW estimates that the deer herd is at 150k. Not unless they are all on the cape and if that’s the case the cape may capsize and sink.😉

What were the deer doing ?
Any chance calling may have helped bring them in......tis the season

This.

I generally don't call blind but when they are moving away from you you have nothing to lose. Just have your weapon ready when you call. It‘s amazing how fast they hone in on where that call came from.

Bob

I was shocked at how little road kill there was this year. I drove 250 miles last week to hunting locations and only saw two dead deer. In years past I would see10-15 easy making those drives during that week.

DFW estimates that the deer herd is at 150k. Not unless they are all on the cape and if that’s the case the cape may capsize and sink.😉

This.

I generally don't call blind but when they are moving away from you you have nothing to lose. Just have your weapon ready when you call. It‘s amazing how fast they hone in on where that call came from.

Bob
Driving around my area....I rarely if ever see any deer....its been that way for a while now........I used to see more in my area when i moved there.

Most decent states kill way over 150K deer per year, never mind have that many. Most people here kill the first deer they get within range.

Driving around my area....I rarely if ever see any deer....its been that way for a while now........I used to see more in my area when i moved there.

Most decent states kill way over 150K deer per year, never mind have that many. Most people here kill the first deer they get within range.

Sad, it doesn’t have to be that way. Sportsmen are at the end of the line just before gun owners in this state.

Last edited:
It’s been many years since I bow hunted. Yeah, it’s not easy. one time I had a perfect shot at a doe, but she heard me as I drew the bow back — the arrow sliding on the guides was enough noise for her to startle and she was gone.

It’s been many years since I bow hunted. Yeah, it’s not easy. one time I had a perfect shot at a doe, but she heard me as I drew the bow back — the arrow sliding on the guides was enough noise for her to startle and she was gone.
Nobody uses a rest that makes that much noise anymore.

That was a common issue with the prong rests when compound bows came out or someone was silly enough to use a recurve with a prong rest and not just shoot off a shelf rug.

Equipment has come a hell of a long way since then. Whisker bisquit rests, dropaways, everything silent and noise free, and if not there is stick on felt to make it noise free.

I've killed more deer with a bow than any other weapon but thats only because the season is so much longer and the weather is much nicer for sitting all day haha.

You have to change your tactics drastically. Unless you know where the deer come in and out it's not worth setting up on a field because you'll be staring at deer that are out of range all day. Do more scouting, find the runs, set up on them in the woods rather than on the edge of the field. This narrows down their potential walking path and guides them into your range. Obviously dont even blink when they're looking in your direction. Also a little piece of felt glued to your rest eliminates that squeaking on draw back.

It's certainly more challenging but way more exciting when they walk within 20 yards of you. Cant beat the adrenaline you get from trying to not move a muscle at full draw waiting for them to give you that perfect shot.

Saddles have their place but they'll never be my primary setup, I can still read a book and fall asleep in a climber and sometimes that's just as good as shooting [rofl]

Nobody uses a rest that makes that much noise anymore.

That was a common issue with the prong rests when compound bows came out or someone was silly enough to use a recurve with a prong rest and not just shoot off a shelf rug.

Equipment has come a hell of a long way since then. Whisker bisquit rests, dropaways, everything silent and noise free, and if not there is stick on felt to make it noise free.
Cool. That's all new to me.

Took a button buck of decent size early last week, saw lots of activity and had some more action the last week and passed on a few other deer. Archery hunting is a long learning process but my favorite type/time to hunt, youll see more deer and get close encounters and itll teach you to be patient and wait for better shots. I dont know if its me but been seeing alot less guys hunting this year than years past. Drove by Rocky Gutter and not 1 truck in the am or pm, last year there was almost always a truck or 2 there after sunset.

Back
Top Bottom