Brass shortages

Pilgrim

NES Member
RETIRED, at home or wherever I want to be
I was reading a posting somewhere where people we saying that shortages of raw materials would be plaging the earth in the future. One of the things that was joked about was that someday there might not be enough brass to make ammo.

Seems like some people are already doing things to alleviate the problem. We know about aluminum cases, and steel cases but has anyone seen or used plastic cases? I found these at my range. They are some kind of plastic with aluminum heads. I've never seen them before. Maybe I live in a cave and these are common but I've never seen them for sale or advertised.

plasticcases.jpg

I saw some for the first time at the Barnstable Municipal range. They were in .223 and purdy colors too.
I haven't used any. Seen them advertised on the NET somewhere.

These have been around for a while - at least a year or so. Started with a company based outside of Fort Drum, NY, if I recall, who was working with the army to reduce the basic load weight for soldiers carrying .223 ammo.

Check out the Four Seasons website under "ammunition" and you'll see them advertized.

KK

I believe the .223 rounds were passed on by Uncle Sam- seems that they tend to melt in the gun which has been fired at a high rate for a while- sticking in the chamber. My dad had some plastic 38 rounds 30 years ago which you could reload with just a primer- for shooting in your basement the projectile was also plastic, maybe Speer IIRC. Greg

Greg Derr said:
I believe the .223 rounds were passed on by Uncle Sam- seems that they tend to melt in the gun which has been fired at a high rate for a while- sticking in the chamber. My dad had some plastic 38 rounds 30 years ago which you could reload with just a primer- for shooting in your basement the projectile was also plastic, maybe Speer IIRC. Greg

Greg,

I remember those being sold in places like Colman's.

Back
Top Bottom