• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Breaking News from the NFATCA.

Breaking News! After several years of effort, DOJ has finally lifted the ATF hiring freeze in Martinsburg and has authorized the addition of 9 new NFA Examiners. This is in addition to the dozen contractors currently acting as examiner/research assistants to the existing 10 examiners plus 1 supervisor. This brings the total number of folks working to push NFA forms through the system to around 30+...

ATF has advised that the first few additions are already being processed and that they expect to have all of the positions spoken for in short order. Of course, there will be an onboarding process that includes background checks, etc. and then a training process to bring them up to speed. Hopefully, we should see a near doubling a throughput by this time next year! Constant pressure by NFATCA was instrumental in creating this needed increase in staffing and funding. Thanks to all who support the NFATCA efforts to address issues that affect us all.

Thats great news. I have six or seven stamps ive been wanting and its looking like now might be the right time. I wonder when the CLEO will be off the forms.

Possible. They've been under staffed for a while and the influx of sales and transfers this year has the wait time up to ~6 months.

Anyone from MA talk to the BATF this week?

I was told the MA AG requested they hold off approving any Form 1's for MA residents.

A contact in state law enforcement, but that's why I asked the initial question, need someone to confirm or deny.

Perhaps a dealer will chime in with more knowledge than my source.

I heard the same information too that Martha Coakley called ATF and said No more approval of SBRs in MA. Heard it from my dealer. I called ATF NFA too and talked with an examiner and they knew nothing about it . Also chatted with a few other dealers in MA and they had no info on it . however this is the 3rd time I have heard this in the same week so there must be something going on behind the scenes .
Rob

I heard the same information too that Martha Coakley called ATF and said No more approval of SBRs in MA. Heard it from my dealer. I called ATF NFA too and talked with an examiner and they knew nothing about it . Also chatted with a few other dealers in MA and they had no info on it . however this is the 3rd time I have heard this in the same week so there must be something going on behind the scenes .
Rob

Your dealer and my contact are doubtfull to be related so it may be true or have some truth.

My faith in the examiners knowledge is suspect, as I had one hang an application previously for the wrong reasons. Also AG related.

Time will tell.

you guys are right. I am sure there is some truth to it. From what I heard it has nothing to do with machine guns and only SBRs at this point. As far as we know at this point they are still approving them as of now. Apparently SBRs have been an "up and down" thing in MA. I remember hearing 3 or 4 years ago that they were illegal in MA and NFA/ATF was not approving them and then all of a sudden my good buddy and others are SBR'ing stuff and its getting approved and all the lists show its legal in MA. Then this.... all I know is that arfcom had a thread a few years ago that they were cracking down on SBRs in MA and no longer approving them but nothing ever happened. Wish I could find the thread but I cant. Now its seems to be showing its ugly head again.... your right too.... MC needs to focus on real problems not things that have 0% crime statistics tagged to them like NFA items. NFA is a safe, money making thing that has an outstanding track record of good people involved. No need to change anything. But then again, MA can F**K up a wet dream.....

Rob

Idk. I talked to edna wilson a few weeks ago and my forms were finished on her end and just waiting for the examiner to approve it. She also called me and couple weeks prior in regards to my missing ltc copy that is needed to process the forms. That right there shows me what the atfs thinks of the legally of sbrs in MA.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

What in hell is bad or dangerous about a SBR. It's a rifle with a short barrel. So what? Jack.

the same thing that makes pistol grips, bayonet lugs, barrel shrouds and flash supressors bad and dangerous....these people have no common sense or reason in their theorys.... just emotional, knee jerk foolishness that is based on BS!!!!!

Rob

I just talked to examiner Christina Harris on Tuesday. Seems like they are just taking their time with some of the F1s from MA residents. Mine was approved on Jan 11th and according to Harris, mine was finally mailed out 2 days ago. Mind you, I sent my forms in on June 28th.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

My stamp came in on April 1. Exactly 6 month wait from sending the paperwork in which is the expected timeframe now given the increase in submissions. I don't think there is any truth to this rumor.

[laugh2][rofl] You're evil.

This came from the NFATCA on 04/16/2013,

While at the Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot, news broke that there were 98 layoffs at the ATF facility in Martinsburg, WV. This has been confirmed. At this stage, the layoffs are all government contractors in the ATF National Tracing Center and various Data Entry positions, including NFA Branch. The layoffs are in addition to furloughs (a little more than a day a month) for all ATF employees that are the result of "the sequester." Additional layoffs could occur if Congress doesn't slap a tourniquet on the budget crisis. NFA Branch processing times are certain to increase.

Back
Top Bottom