Bug out Rifle

Where did you find 30 round clips of 5.56?

I have a shit load of 10 round clips loaded with 5.56 in an ammo can. That would be sweet if they made 30 round clips, then I would only need one clip to load one magazine.

Hmm.. I'm gonna invent 30 round clips for this exact reason!...

O WAIT:
Damnit... I forgot the libtards are trying to BAN the thing before I can even make it! Fail. [rofl]

Where did you find 30 round clips of 5.56?

I have had these since my discharge in 1975, 20 years before the ban. They are tucked away in the Bug Out Gear, if it ever came to having to use them, the only law around would be to defend yourself!
For the legal aspects I keep 10 rnd mags in the case when I carry it with me.

BRASS

I have had these since my discharge in 1975, 20 years before the ban. They are tucked away in the Bug Out Gear, if it ever came to having to use them, the only law around would be to defend yourself!
For the legal aspects I keep 10 rnd mags in the case when I carry it with me.

BRASS

It was an attempt at a magazine/clip joke.

It was an attempt at a magazine/clip joke.

BRASS flying the "joke" plane:

plane_crash_insticts.jpg

What did I do to deserve that comment?
I do not think what I said was a joke.

B.R.A.S.S.
Former USMC 0311

Breath Relax Aim Slack Squeeze

No harm, no foul, but you should practice the "R" in your name there...

It was a joke... you know, laugh, funny... [laugh]

To answer your question: "You crashed the "joke" plane we were on. [wink]

You missed the joke about "magazines" vs. "clips". No big deal, man.

No harm, no foul, but you should practice the "R" in your name there...

It was a joke... you know, laugh, funny... [laugh]

To answer your question: "You crashed the "joke" plane we were on. [wink]

Well guy's not much of a jokester on this end....always been more hard core than "Relaxed"
But after re-reading, yes I got it and I ammended my post.

BRASS

Last edited:
Bug out? Just one?! Depends. Could be a .22 Mag pump or bolt, but in a probable or known SHTF scenario it'd have to be the quality AR middy carbine with 62 gr. M855 and commercial HP ammo.

Ruger7722MagAllWeather.jpg
Bravo Company AR.jpg

I have to say I don't really get the .22 LR talkers. Over the years I've determined they don't, and concluded they wouldn't, practice what they preach. They don't rely on a .22 LR away from home today. Nor is it the "one gun" they'd own to get home to. They're not gonna leave those others behind to take just a .22 LR tomorrow. And why would someone bet their life against the unknown with the least-powerful cartridge around anyway? Maybe not the best thought-out plan...

The .22 Mag is twice as powerful as the LR but offers the same features and benefits except for price. Hey, not having any gun or ammo is even cheaper! In any case, you can even single-shot fire .22 LR in a .22 Mag in a pinch!

Maybe some things to (re)consider in your preps...

Gehr

Last edited:
My Bug Out rifle is the one I can hit everything with, the one that has never let me down, the one that can take any size game, and the one that has ammo readily available from anywhere.

My Remington 700 in .308

I've chewed on this a bit, and in the end, I don't know how I DON'T go for my AR. For the moment, I put aside all the sub-discussions of "bug-in" vs. "bug-out" and just tried to focus on the best all around long gun for SHTF scenarios. Not one person on this board or elsewhere can convince me that I can fully defend my home from even a semi-motivated bunch of thugs of even a few individuals, for any worthwhile length of time. I know what I would do to smoke out someone from a typical stick-built sububan home if I had to, and like most of you, it doesn't require a whole lot of creativity. Just a few matches and a little gasoline, right? So having eliminated that as a concern (well, not concern, but maybe an issue) I tried to reduce it to the most likely problem set that has me reaching for a rifle, and 95% of the issues are related to defending myself and my family in the widest set of realistic circumstances.
Realistically, I am not going to be hunting for food either. I could break the rules of the OP and say that I'm gonna have my Ruger Mark III or my old Ithaca lever-action single shot .22 LR with me, but thats not playing fair regarding the OP.
I just totally removed hunting from the equation because it just ain't gonna happen for at least five reasons that I can think of. And no doubt there are more than that!
I'm very lucky (or cursed) in that I have the real world options of reaching into the safe for a variety of SHTF-type guns, including a SOCOM II, a loaded M1A, and an FAL clone (with an 7.62 ACOG rtg for either). I also have an M4 clone with Eotech and have a bunch of parts in a box that almost make up an SPR clone. I also have a WASR 10. And more ammo than I could carry for any one of these. So this is just a bit more than an academic exercise. (apart from the world ending part. ;)
So, with hunting out, and playing the odds, and on a cost-benefit analysis, how much do I really have to worry having the ability to take a 500 yard shot to deal with a problem? In a SHTF scenario? If you're honest with yourself, not much. Same with defeating barriers like car doors and walls. I mean, whats the likelihood of needing to do any of that?
AR: Easier to carry both in terms of the gun and a respectable amount of rounds, easy to maintain, ammo should be almost as plentiful as .308 even if production stopped under SHTF conditions (given the huge surge in popularity of these guns in the past 10 years) and it does just about everything I can imagine needing a long gun for in a SHTF scenario.

No matter how I do the math, it keeps coming up 5.56.

Ozman

Last edited:
Also have never dismissed this idea completely and preferred the combination enough to recommend it over others, so, put some premium money where my mouth was and bought this Generation-X but apparently unused Savage 24 .22 Mag/20 ga. O/U.

Savage 24 S_D 22 Mag 20 ga II.jpg

Last edited:
for me right now it would be my Mosin Nagant since thats the only rifle i have, but idealy. No Doubt AK-47, to me a WSHTF rifle needs to be extremely reliable and the AK-47 is the king of reliablility. With everything going on i dont want to worry about maintence.

Anybody else find it amusing when you look at the elevation adjustment on an AK rear sight and it has an 800 meter setting?

thats like my Mosin the rear sight goes up to 2000 meters. Unless im shooting at Godzilla how am i suppose to see something at 2000 meters with iron sights let alone hit it.

for me right now it would be my Mosin Nagant since thats the only rifle i have, but idealy. No Doubt AK-47, to me a WSHTF rifle needs to be extremely reliable and the AK-47 is the king of reliablility. With everything going on i dont want to worry about maintence.

How many rounds you have through an AK with out any maintenance?

Last edited:
Ive got four choices for BOB that i'm considering:
MAK90 for its reliability but a lot of folks are hooked on the AR so I cant decide if 7.62x39 will be readily available.

AR15 with short stroke piston: lots of ammo availability and the piston makes it run cool and clean and quite dependable I think. Plus ammo is lighter to carry.

Marlin 336: not the biggest mag capacity (6) but the 30-30 is an available round and good for most game in north america and zombies, no mags to loose, looks safe to the sheeple should anyone run into me, and its simple and light.

Marlin 1894: 357 magnum. Mag capacity is 9. shoot 38spl or 357 mag. 357 mag out of an 18 barrel will take deer size game. same as above...no mags to loose, lightweight, simple, sheeple friendly.

Your thoughts please...

How many rounds you have through an AK with out any maintenance?

i have limited experience with the AK or its Variants. Ive never put one through a "torture test." but all the research ive done on comparing the Ak to the AR platform gives the AK the advantage in Reliability due to its more rugged construction with its lesser tolerances on the internal components.

i have limited experience with the AK or its Variants. Ive never put one through a "torture test." but all the research ive done on comparing the Ak to the AR platform gives the AK the advantage in Reliability due to its more rugged construction with its lesser tolerances on the internal components.

I have both. I use my AK for things like cheap plinking at some rich dude's Porsche.

I've had days where I've run hundreds of rounds at a time through my AR (with daily totals nearing upon being easier to measure in "cases", rather than individual rounds). In it's current configuration, I've yet to have a problem. All the "maintenance" that's regularly required is a small squirt of lube every now and again. If I'm feeling ambitious, I might boresnake it.

I know I can trust my AR to help me do what needs to be done, because it's been done before by me, with my rifle. Try doing the same before espousing a platform as the "king of reliability".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom