• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bullets to keep cost down on reloading 223?

Historically i just reloaded match rounds with 77gr SMKs and BR4 primers for shooting highpower matches. Always had the walmart federal value packs and cheap stuff like that for plinking days. That was before covid.
I have a good amount of once fired federal brass and i am looking to load up with some cheap projectiles. just looking for plinking rounds going 65 or 100yds downrange to 10" and 4" steel plates.
Curious what bullets you guys look to when it comes to keeping costs down (but not being absoulte junk).

These worked fine for plinking. Haven’t checked pricing lately but this was height of covid idiocy.

Rocky Mountain reloading.

ProductQuantityPrice
.224 55 Gr. Full Metal Jacket Bullets *PULLED* - 2,0001$130.00

For plinking I just buy the wolf steel case stuff. It's 50 cents per round. Tough to load much cheaper than that I believe. Accuracy blows but for under 100yds on steel it's perfect.
Even at 100 yards I don't find the accuracy to be bad on the Wolf , I use it often for plinking and still try to be as accurate as I can.

For plinking I just buy the wolf steel case stuff. It's 50 cents per round. Tough to load much cheaper than that I believe. Accuracy blows but for under 100yds on steel it's perfect.
Primer = 7 cpr
Powder (24.5 gn of H335) = 11 cpr
Case = free
Projectile (FMJ) = 7 cpr
My TImE! = priceless

25 cents to reload based on current prices.

Whoah... where are you getting projectiles for 7 cents?
I got 2000 via the classifieds here (5 cents apiece) , but I just checked ammoseek and I see them from a place for 7.5 cents. Most places when they go on sale are under 10 cents.

Keep an eye on RMR and every once in a while they have a smoking deal on pulls. A few years back they didn’t want to sort so they were selling them by the pound really cheap. It was a mixed bag of 55,62 match kings etc etc but it was a good deal for plinking

Keep an eye on RMR and every once in a while they have a smoking deal on pulls. A few years back they didn’t want to sort so they were selling them by the pound really cheap. It was a mixed bag of 55,62 match kings etc etc but it was a good deal for plinking
Pretty sure this is when I got the ones I posted above. If you want you can easily sort them. I had 2 sizes, but you could sort with or without cannelure

They had an even better deal a few years before that, but I got in on both.
You have to keep an eye open for any deals on bullets and dont hesitate to jump.
Also have to get into the bulk mind set.
Last time I bought 55 gn plinkster grade the price dropped dramatically at 6000 + bullets.

We bought 14,000 75 gr bullets from RMR and split them up between us. The price was very good, maybe 14 cents each (for a match-grade bullet). I'm sure you could get 55's even cheaper.

We bought 14,000 75 gr bullets from RMR and split them up between us. The price was very good, maybe 14 cents each (for a match-grade bullet). I'm sure you could get 55's even cheaper.
This is what I did when on sale back in 2017 I bought Ks of bullets from 223-8mm for rifle shipped it aceraged out to .12 bullet. The match 77 where 20 each at the time and the 30 cals where .25 cents or more before the sale.
Quantity and discount codes and free shipping all added up for great savings. It will be years before I run out.
I buy my reloaded ammo from myself to have cash on hand to pick up replacement inventory.
I would like to find some H4895

Whoah... where are you getting projectiles for 7 cents?
The 55 grain fmjs are running around 10 cents each with out any sales.
I stepped out on a small group buy to get more 55 fmj that came to 7.2 cents each shipped in a 3 gallon jug. I would have to call to see where they got them.

Got some of the hornady 62gr FMJBT, WIN #41 primers and H335 powder since it seems readily available and not that expensive.
Seems like it can group. Cost would be ~.31 a round. With that said, Cabelas went from $65 -> $90/1k on the #41's and the H335 went from $38 -> $48/lb all within the past couple weeks. Pushes me to more like .34 a round but seems to shoot better than me at 100 yds. (Test from a 16" barrel LMT AR)
1709053572664.png

I bought a bunch of Hornady bulk boxes of 6000 55gr bullets. I think I bought 15 of them, broke 5 of them down into 1000 qty bags, sold them during the second Obama-Scare, and made all my money back.

They're much better than plinking bullets. I think I won about 9 egg shoots in a row at Shirley with them.

Back
Top Bottom