Busted @ work?

Have you ever been "busted" at work? Yesterday at work around lunch time I was doing a bit of NES browsing. Now, let me preface by saying that I adblock the NES banner(sorry derek) so that people would have a difficult time telling which forum I am on. A coworker walks over(I started here about 3 weeks ago), and says "oh you're on NES?". He knew from the background and forum style which forum I was on.

Now the good thing: if someone can actually come over and do that, 99% chance they are also a NES forum member and won't care, and now you make an instant friend at work. That's what I did.

I guess I'm very fortunate to work for a small company where the owners are lifetime NRA members, and actually got me into guns a couple years ago. I was at the office yesterday and was looking under the classified section when one of the bosses came over, asked me what I was looking at and we then got into a 20 minute discussion of exactly what gun I wanted to carry, which lead to a reloading discussion.

I really need to get into reloading.........

I get busted everyday on NES. My boss walks into my Office/Cubical/Dungeon and sees me doing lots of gun research, he directs his gaze elsewhere so he has plausable deniability. Granted I think this falls under the Government: "Fraud Waste and Abuse" Catagory, but.... I likes me some NES time. 'Specially them Classifieds!

Similar thing happened to me about a decade ago. Someone walking by caught me carving an IPSC target into a styrofoam lunch tray in the company cafeteria as I was explaining the scoring zones to a co-worker. The person who spotted this doesn't work at the same company any more, but remains a good friend to this day and I regularly run into him on the field of honor. (with this weather, it's going to be the indoor range of honor for a few months).

I like to surf the discussions and classifieds during lunch, no one has any issue with that at work. Half the time it leads to talking about guns and ammo and stuff when they see me looking at NES.

My boss doesn't give a crap what I am doing as long as my work gets done and he has all the information that he needs. But generally i will be on for a half hour or so during lunch and thats it.

Whats a "web Washer" and how do I get info on one?
It's a product my employer uses to filter our internet access. It protects against malware and allows my employer to prevent us from getting to websites they don't like. So at work we can't access sites related to gambling, weapons, social networking (FaceBook, Twitter, etc.), streaming media, and whatever else they decide they don't like this month. [crying]

I'm the IT Manager. I DO all of the busting. My NES addiction is safe. [smile]

Don't get TO comfortable. I'm in the same boat and didn't notice my CIO walk up behind me while I was looking at a pic of a Glock 21. In a not so quite voice he asks me what he should be more worried about. 1. That I was looking at a gun or 2. that I was looking at a gun at WORK! [thinking] And he really preferenced the "work" when he said it. After telling me why he came down to talk to me he walked away without saying another word. I thought for sure I was going to be toast, but I never heard anything more about it.

My guys thought it was the funniest thing though. Now I pay much more attention to people walking around me.

lol, with how loud my conversations about guns is with one of my office friends, and the appleseed poster I have hung infront of my cube, I dont think they'd care, lol.

I've been "caught" a few times but nobody ever says anything. I've only ever had one person ask about it and it turned into a good conversation.

I was 'disciplined' for excessive personal internet use once early on in my tenure with my current firm, but it was for generic internet use, not specifically for NES.

I don't make a secret of my firearms-related enthusiasms at work (or anywhere, generally). I didn't bring it up in my interview, and I don't have a 1911 screen saver or a Troy Industries motivational poster behind my desk. But at this point in time, I think everyone in the office is aware of my hobbies. I've even taken a few co-workers shooting (got a great picture of one of the managers shooting a fireball out of a .44 mag - that floated around the office for a few days).

I find that most people are fine with firearms as a hobby, so long as you're casual about it. I'll bring it up in conversation if it's natural, and I'll answer any questions about it. It's certainly nothing I act ashamed of, or that I try to hide.

I do remember once when one of the partners came up to me in the office and asked me if I was "packing." That was awkward.

On a related note, I noticed the "InPrivate" option on Internet Explorer. IT managers - what does this do? Is your browsing activity really "private" from IT oversight, or does it just automatically delete history and cookies?

It's a product my employer uses to filter our internet access. It protects against malware and allows my employer to prevent us from getting to websites they don't like. So at work we can't access sites related to gambling, weapons, social networking (FaceBook, Twitter, etc.), streaming media, and whatever else they decide they don't like this month. [crying]

www.atunnel.com

Much easier not to get busted by the boss...

When U IZ DA BOSS!! [wink]

Yup, but I usually take the time to show my employee's some of the nice firearms in the gallery.[wink]
They all know I'm a shooter and some will ask me to take them shooting occasionally.

I talk openly about Firearms in my Dept and building. However, we had a Director come over from A diff segment. I happend to be showing her pics of my new baby. When pops up a few pics of my guns. No I can't get in trouble for it, But it was ackward. All I could think about was the rumor mill when she got back to her office. To my suprise her response was WOW nice guns where do you shoot? Im picking my Farther up tomorrow and we are going shooting. [smile]

Well, I've got a Redcoat target that I cleaned at my second Appleseed on the cube wall. I guess that counts as 'self-busted', right?

[smile]

No, but someone gave me the wrong cell number once.

So, when I called and told the person I wanted to buy a gun from the lord, they got all weirded out for some reason.

[wink]

Sometimes if it gets really crazy at work and my VM gets full, I'll give my boss permission to go in my voice mail to delegate calls out.
One day she says, "umm, one of these calls is personal". It was a customer that knew I was into shooting and wanted to sell me a few revolvers and a shotgun. That was an interesting discussion.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom