• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Camping/Fishing ideas for NH

Not sure this is the proper forum for the subject...closest to outdoors that I saw (throwing fishing in to keep on topic) [smile]

The wife and I are thinking about heading up from MA to NH to get some camping in. I'm new up here and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for good rustic type sites, with bathroom/shower (wife's request), that also had good fishing, hiking and is gun friendly (don't like to camp without).

We plan on going during the week of Mon 25. We figure that places shouldn't be to crowded during the week, safe assumption?

Anyhow, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

John

John,

there's a great little, unknown campground I recommend in Center Ossippee, NH on (Big) Dan Hole Pond. It's out of the way and on one of the great trout lakes in NH. It's within walking distance to (Little) Dan hole pond as well for bass and sunfish.

It's known as Terrace Pines, and while out of the way, it's easy to find. There are very few people on the lake, but there are loons, deer and lots of other game. It's the only place in the world that has what are known as "Sunapee Trout", a rare breed found only in this pond. Big Dan hole)

Check it out here: http://camping.about.com/od/campgroundreviews/fr/ucpcgd65.htm

I think you'd be real happy. It puts you about ten miles to Conway, 12 miles to Maine, 25 miles to Wolfboro and lake Winnepesauqe, with lots to do in the area and plenty of good eating, antiques, rivers, Kakamangas Highway and other attractions.

My family used to have a place on Dan Hole pond, which is the only reason I'd have ever found out about it.... and it's a winner.

Thanks for the info guys. I'll check out Terrace Pines. It sounds like it's exactly what we are looking for.

It looks like we will be taking our 2 small dogs with us now so where ever we go must also be dog friendly.

Head for Pitttsburg...up by the Canadian border. There are cabins on Back Lake but I don't recall their name. They were nice and cheap, right on the lake. The loons at night are soooo cooool! There is excellent fishing in the three Conn. lakes, lake Francis as well as the Conn. river which connects them all. If you take a ride up route 3 (the main rd. through Pittsburg) at dusk you will see more moose than you can shake a stick at!
The place is my favorite...unfortunately I havent been in several years due to youg kids at home....I will make it back with them when they are old enough.

Head for Pitttsburg...up by the Canadian border. There are cabins on Back Lake but I don't recall their name. They were nice and cheap, right on the lake. The loons at night are soooo cooool! There is excellent fishing in the three Conn. lakes, lake Francis as well as the Conn. river which connects them all. If you take a ride up route 3 (the main rd. through Pittsburg) at dusk you will see more moose than you can shake a stick at!
The place is my favorite...unfortunately I havent been in several years due to youg kids at home....I will make it back with them when they are old enough.

I'll keep that in mind for future trips.

We are trying to stay a little closer to home for our first trip out. This is my wife and I's first camping trip together. We want to stay close to home just in case we need to come back home due to some unforeseen variable. [grin]

It has been a while but I have camped a ton and she has gone a lot in the past as well...just our first time tent camping together. We will have been married 8 years on Sept 2. It's about damn time we get out and camp.

If all goes well I hope we can try and get out a couple times a year.

AAhhhhh......tent camping........let me offer up some more info.......Deer Mountain campground on Rt. 3 in Pittsburg...very quiet, small state campground approx. 3-4 miles south of the border ... my first choice. Second choice....Lake Francis state campground off route 3 in Pittsburg...great place in spring for the landlocked salmon run usually 3rd week of May, has more people but does have showers. Thirdly.....(if thats a word?) and a little closer to home....Moose brook campground...also a state campground in Gorham....good fishing nearby in the androscoggin river...and has showers.
I used to spend alot of time up there if you can't tell...before marriage and kids....a couple of more years for the kids and I'll be returning with them....good luck!

Thanks again for everyone's input. My wife and I will be going to Terrace Pines some time next week. This location is not that bad of a drive and and seems to have everything we were looking for in a camp ground.

I'll keep the Pennsylvania locations in mind for future trips when I have more like a week to get some camping in.

John

John, I happen to be in Wolfboro this week, so I went over to Terrace Pines to check it out for you yesterday.

It's even better than I remembered. Lots of nice sites, variety store with all the essentials (Milk,bread, soda, bait, egs, bacon... tons of essentials and candy, desert, soda. I don't remember seeing beer.)

On their brochure today, I noticed it said no Fireworks or firearms. Makes me glad I kept my gun in my pocket.[smile]

I guess all that means is you don't want to have them in sight when you check in. I saw a lot of NRA stickers in the campground, and I'm pretty sure I wasn't the only one carrying. Like many situations, keep it concealed or out of sight and you'll be fine.[wink]

The water in BIG dan was like crystal. Nice beach, boat launch, showers and clean rest rooms.

Not as far from here in Wolfboro as I thought, noy 25 miles, more like 12-13 which makes it easy to come here for speedboat rides, evening booze cruises and a rather neat MACHINE GUN RENTAL. (Check it out at: www.machinegunsafari.com it can get pricey, but it's way cool. Everything from Uzi's, AK's, 50 Caliber.... you name it) There is also a WWII Museum in town with a tank out front and lots of cool stuff inside.

Have fun! We sure are. Glad we went to Terrace Pines yesterday. We had fun checking it out. Nice people, nice place.

Bill

Depicts,

Thanks for checking it out for me. My wife and I do look forward to our trip. Ill be sure to keep my weapon under raps. My plans are to keep it in the vehicle, ammo away from firearm from what I understand the case is in NH while in car, and then when I get to the site I will have it while I sleep. I look to open carry when I'm out of the camp site. I'm a little leery about that because I have only carried concealed.

I have a Florida permit which gives me Reciprocity but I have not informed the state I have moved (reminds me I REALLY need to do that). I don't want to push my luck with that so I'll follow the laws as if I don't have a permit.

Back
Top Bottom