can i bring my pistol campimg in a state park?

I'm going camping tonight and we are going to a state park. Would it be legal to take my pistol and keep it locked in the trunk? The reason being is I'm supposed to be meeting up with a friend sunday to go shooting up north. Any info would be greatly appreciated thanks.
Dennis

Camping

I'm going camping tonight and we are going to a state park. Would it be legal to take my pistol and keep it locked in the trunk? The reason being is I'm supposed to be meeting up with a friend sunday to go shooting up north. Any info would be greatly appreciated thanks.
Dennis

Who cares. I would never go camping or into the woods without a firearm.

Man, I didn't take one last time I went camping and the entire time I was thinking, god damn I wish I brought something. Between the crazy ass people camping next to you and the fricken noises coming out of the woods...

Just keep it under wraps and nobody will know, I'm pretty sure it isn't illegal though. I read through the rules when I went and it didn't mention firearms so...

I've been going to ME since I was a kid and since I was old enough to have an FID card I always brought something with me when I went there. No telling what you're going to run into at god knows what time in the morning when nature calls.

Me too. - Not the answer to the question re: state Parks .. but I tend to bring a pistol and a rifle when I camp in Maine. My property is on the Saco and is often full drunk 20-somethings that are tired and stupid.

The little landing on our banks can be attractive to squatters , foragers , thieves ...

But running into a trio of big dogs followed up by me with my AR asking them to move along seems to handle it pretty well .

Having had a 400lb. black bear bounce off the side of my tent while he was fleeing through my campsite a couple of years ago, I wholeheartedly agree.

Me too. - Not the answer to the question re: state Parks .. but I tend to bring a pistol and a rifle when I camp in Maine. My property is on the Saco and is often full drunk 20-somethings that are tired and stupid.

The little landing on our banks can be attractive to squatters , foragers , thieves ...

But running into a trio of big dogs followed up by me with my AR asking them to move along seems to handle it pretty well .

If you need help with security on a weekend let me know. [wink]

I've been going to ME since I was a kid and since I was old enough to have an FID card I always brought something with me when I went there.

Maine is not MA. You don't need a permit to carry openly in ME. You do need a permit to carry concealed in ME. And your FID doesn't mean beans in ME.

I'm going camping tonight and we are going to a state park. Would it be legal to take my pistol and keep it locked in the trunk?

It would likely be illegal to have a pistol larger than .38 caliber in a state park at night, even if it's locked in your trunk, due to our goofy hunting laws (C 131 § 67).

It would likely be illegal to have a pistol larger than .38 caliber in a state park at night, even if it's locked in your trunk, due to our goofy hunting laws (C 131 § 67).

I haven't heard that one before. So, what is "bigger" than a .38? 9mm? Please don't say yes.

We (wife and I) went camping once in a really remote place, although it was private property (not a state park) and said no firearms allowed. So, I of course didn't have one. We were the ONLY ones camping there, one mile away from anything by canoe only (no way to walk to this place), in our tent. Around midnight, we're woken up by two men (both healthy and strong) in a kayak rowing by, and they spot our tent then stop there in the river pointing an extremely bright flashlight right at our tent for 15 minutes, while having a discussion about what they should do next in regards to spotting this tent. It was hard to hear everything but from what I could tell they were discussing whether to come up to our tent and see if anyone was there (and then what??). NOT a nice thing to have happen in the middle of nowhere with no defense other than one small can of pepper spray.

We were terrified and freaked out, hiding in the tent hoping they didn't decide to come up to us. To our relief, they finally moved upstream some more and chose their own camping spot rather than ours. But we didn't sleep a minute all night in case they decided to try something. Fortunately they left at daybreak.

Yeah, I think guns are particularly handy to have in the woods, just in case.

Maine is not MA. You don't need a permit to carry openly in ME. You do need a permit to carry concealed in ME. And your FID doesn't mean beans in ME.
I'm well aware of that fact but having lived in Ma all my life meant IF i wished to own a rifle at that time I needed an FID card. the time period was the late 80's. I now have a LTC ALP that I have had for close to 30 yrs now.

That link is only for state law. It also says that National Park is okay, and under state law it may be; however currently under federal law it is not. Since federal law supersedes state law you can still be charged.

Here in NH the only restriction I'm aware of under state law is court houses, but I still can't carry in a school since federal law prohibits it.

This is also from the same website you referenced. I'm sure this is where the law regarding the handgun caliber restriction during certain hours in MA.

WMA are usually controlled by the state they are in. There are a few Federal WMA. Handgunlaw.us
is in the process of collecting the laws on WMA from the different states. The law covering WMA is
usually not found in the CCW and Handgun Laws sections of state laws.

Last edited:

The replies you received although probably true really suck, just more proof that this state is a lost cause and why I am moving to NH...someday...

Ran out of time, so this never went anywhere this time around, but I plan on working on it for the next session.

Keep us updated, it would be nice if we could get every member here to submit the bill to our reps, maybe 200+ "on behalf of" bills at once might get noticed.

Back
Top Bottom