Can you hunt polar bears?

Shane

Banned
Is it legal to hunt polar bears? [laugh]

My instinct says no.

I just think it would be cool to have one stuffed!

Plus, it's not like their notoriously loveable creatures. They could easily rip a man's head off.

On a survival TV show, they dropped a guy off at one of the poles. He had to live with almost nothing for a specified number of days. They gave him a rifle to protect him from the polar bears.

Not sure this makes hunting legal, but may rather a self defense technicality.

If one was trying to break into your house and eat you, I'd guess it would be ok to shoot it ! [smile]

I bet some moonbat would try to turn that one on us as well.

Moonbat. Why did you shoot that nice polar bear?

NES. Cause he came into my house and wanted to eat me.

Moonbat. Did it ever occur to you that polar bears have to eat too? Lock'em up your honor.

Nes. Son of a bitch

On a survival TV show, they dropped a guy off at one of the poles. He had to live with almost nothing for a specified number of days. They gave him a rifle to protect him from the polar bears.

"ONE of the poles"?? As polar bears are found ONLY at the North (just as penguins are only in the South), how hard can it be to figure out which one it was?

This was a recent post on another forum I hang out on ...What followsare his words not mine :

So, I have had a pretty interesting Christmas Eve. My Native Friend Solomon took me out hunting with two other Natives - for polar bears. We got one .

We had planned on going out about 50 miles from Barrow to find caribou, but a cold front moved in early this morning. -20 real temperature with a -46 wind chill. Solomon decided it would be better to stay closer to Barrow, and he had heard that there were polar bears around Point Barrow - about 10 miles from Barrow itself .

We mounted up and rode out on snow machines and sure as hell - three polar bears. They were right by the monument for Point Barrow - the most northerly chunk of land in the US. When whaling season is done in the fall up here, they drag all of the bones out to Point Barrow so that the polar bears do not come into town. They do anyway .

At first they all ran away onto the frozen ocean, which has just really frozen up good - so we made about a mile circle to see if they would come back. A three year old female did probably 200+ pounds. We shut off the snow machines and got off. We were about 150 yards away. She really did not seem too concerned and started a leisurely trot toward us.

One of the other Natives took her down with one shot from a 223. He told me that you have to hit them right behind the ear to get them to drop with that small of round. Then he shot her again just to make sure.

After he took her, Solomon got on his sled and did a sort of patrol - in case the other bears might attack. I guess that this has happened before. We got her on the back of a drag sled and drove about a mile away to clean her up.

They first made a cut right under the right paw and opened her up by sliding the Harley Davidson knife (no BS) down her forearm. Then he proceeded to cut off the hide from the arm, at one point - cutting off the paw (didn't need a saw). He did this to all four legs then split it up the middle, but not into the guts - that came later. Getting the coat off in one piece was the first priority. They did this amazingly fast, maybe 25 minutes.

Mind you, it is f***ing freezing out and when I tried to take off my gloves to go for the camera - my hands went numb in less than a minute. Camera was totally frozen - sorry no shots. Here these guys are working without gloves probably for an hour. They often times stuck their hands inside the bear to get warm - between the coat and meat.

Then they cut off the legs, once again - just with a knife, and then they cut off the head (just using the HD knife). I was surprised how little blood there was until they opened up the middle and the guts came out. Pretty intense.

All told, we were out about three hours on the open tundra, and will all of my gear on - I was still shaking and lost most of the feeling in my hands and feet. No frost bite though.
Those Native Boys are Bad Ass - for real.

Got to run - I hear there is a bootlegger selling a case of beer for $100 and I feel like a Christmas drink!

Merry Christmas

Back
Top Bottom