• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Canadian Customs Gun ?'s

About 5 years ago I was going from Lubec, Maine into Canada. Our destination that day was Campobello Island and FDR's summer home. We were traveling in our 1930 Model A for and there were two other Model A's in our group.

We had spent the previous night at a B&B in Lubec and got an early start the next morning after fueling up. I was the first car to go through Canadian customs / immigration. The attractive young lady didn't ask about guns but she did ask me if we had any liquor. I said "yes" a bottle of wine. She asked me what size and I said "I don't know, the usual size." I wasn't trying to be a wise guy but she says (getting pissed off) "what is the usual size?" So I asked her if I could get the bottle out of the trunk, she agreed and I determined it was 750ML. She was a jerk. Appeared to be all alone in this tiny border crossing. So, we were then free to go with our 750ML "usual size" bottle and the 80 year old car.

Serious question. What is the Canadians' problem with knives? Do they have knife registration up there, or do they just not want us to bring in anything, even a Swiss Army knife?

I've been to Montreal twice [2004, 2005] and don't remember getting asked the weapons/knives question at all. Gave them the passports, told them we were in country for a few days for the F1 race and that was it. Bon Voyage.

Serious question. What is the Canadians' problem with knives? Do they have knife registration up there, or do they just not want us to bring in anything, even a Swiss Army knife?

I've been to Montreal twice [2004, 2005] and don't remember getting asked the weapons/knives question at all. Gave them the passports, told them we were in country for a few days for the F1 race and that was it. Bon Voyage.

I believe it's the general prohibition on carrying anything that's a "weapon," much in the same way that bear spray is OK but the same thing packaged for bipedal upright predators is verboten.

Spring assists are a no, anything they can call a "fighting knife" is a no. I don't even carry the CRKT M16 (not spring assist, but fast opening) or M21 (same mechanism but longer blade) when I go up. I've got a crappy Winchester folder with a blade under 2" for my Nova Scotia trips.

Back
Top Bottom