• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Carry Permit Question: Employer Contacted?

Hello,
I recently completed my NRA basic safety class and would like to submit my pistol permit application soon. The application asks for the name and telephone number of my manager. Should I expect my employer to be contacted as part of the application process? I may choose not to apply if this is the case.

Alternatively, I may put my own work telephone number on that section of the application in order to head off the call OR simply leave the whole section blank. The concern here is that this could be viewed as lying on the application, which is a misdemeanor. I'm probably over thinking it but would like to get some feedback from others on the topic.

I live in Stamford, if that matters. Also, I have posted this same question at another CT firearm oriented site (sorry for semi bad form, just seeking more feedback).

thanks!

Its the local PD that do the background check, so only someone in Stamford could answer that for you. I live in a small town not far from you, and my PD didnt call anyone at all.

Out of curiosity, what CT firearm site did you post on?

Consider putting down "Human Resources Department." Supervisors can incur liability by making statements that harm you. The beotches in HR are usually trained to confirm dates of employment and salary only. Your company may have a policy that all references checks be directed to HR anyway.

When I got my CT non-res. permit I put it all down, and to the best of my knowledge no one was contacted.

What form is this... I don't recall ever having to give them that information.

It's on the top of the second page for the pistol permit application. Look at the top of the fourth (last) page in this .pdf document:

http://www.ct.gov/dps/lib/dps/special_licensing_and_firearms/dps-799-c.pdf

My strategy was to put my boss' name down, but my direct phone number because the form asks for an "office number" and not his directly. That way I wouldn't have to "alarm" him up front if it I didn't need to that the state police might be calling him about me, as a brand new employee, about something firearm related. No one ever called or left a voice mail, but if they did, my plan was to have them call back later or the next day because he was "busy" and that would give me time to pull him aside and discreetly explain why the police would be calling about me instead of him getting blindsided directly on the phone. In my case, he was none the wiser. [wink]

What torques me is some towns require (all though they really can't) letters of reference. What's a new resident to CT going to do? You can't use family members and the only people you'd know are from work and, maybe, a few neighbors. Seriously, who in their right mind would "endorse" someone to carry a handgun whom they barely know? And, being new at the time, my co-workers and neighbors were the LAST people I wanted to know I owned guns.

Last edited:
It's on the top of the second page for the pistol permit application. Look at the top of the fourth (last) page in this .pdf document:

http://www.ct.gov/dps/lib/dps/special_licensing_and_firearms/dps-799-c.pdf

My strategy was to put my boss' name down, but my direct phone number because the form asks for an "office number" and not his directly. That way I wouldn't have to "alarm" him up front if it I didn't need to that the state police might be calling him about me, as a brand new employee, about something firearm related. No one ever called or left a voice mail, but if they did, my plan was to have them call back later or the next day because he was "busy" and that would give me time to pull him aside and discreetly explain why the police would be calling about me instead of him getting blindsided directly on the phone. In my case, he was none the wiser. [wink]

What torques me is some towns require (all though they really can't) letters of reference. What's a new resident to CT going to do? You can't use family members and the only people you'd know are from work and, maybe, a few neighbors. Seriously, who in their right mind would "endorse" someone to carry a handgun whom they barely know? And, being new at the time, my co-workers and neighbors were the LAST people I wanted to know I owned guns.

Thanks, I remember it now. I put down my own name and office number in that section.

My town didn't try and pull the "letters of reference" bullshit. Lucky for them since I went in there prepared to throw a shitfit if they did. [rofl]

There's a lawyer in New Britain, Ralph Sherman, who wants to know about towns that do this. He was very helpful when I was getting my permit awhile back.

http://www.ralphdsherman.com/index.html

Back
Top Bottom