Carrying a knife: suggestions?

I've been thinking I need to add a knife to my daily array stuff in my pockets. I'm thinking some type of folder suitable for defense, but not too big.

I'm looking for suggestions on:
1) Features to look for/avoid? I'm thinking ambidextrous operation is a must.
2) Are assisted opening knives considered "switchblades"?
3) Practical method of discrete carry. I want access with either hand if one had is tied up.
4) Brands to consider. I've been looking at Columbia River (http://www.crkt.com/) but I'm sure there are others worthy of consideration.
5) Local vendors where I can get my paws on some quality equipment to try it out.

I'll reserve training for another thread in the future.

TIA, Matt

I'm not a knife czar by any means, but heres a couple of things I've run
into... I've been carrying a ~3.5 in or so CRKT and an emerson folder
for a few years now... looking into a smaller knives myself....

-Get something that is small enough to conceal easily, but big enough to
handle easily. Bigger is not always better. Couple inches is probably
enough to do serious damage.

-Look for something slim... fat knives reduce your carry options.

-Find something that you an open easily/quickly, with one hand.

-Find something that has a detent or some type of positive hold that
keeps it closed (until you need it). It doesn't take much force to hold
the blade closed.

-IMO tip down carry is better than tip up. (safer) as the blade has a
tendency to stay closed in tip down. Course, this will vary from knife to
knife.

-If the knife is a liner lock, make sure it is of good quality. Bad liner lock=
cut fingers! (Generally most knives, CRKT and otherwise worth carrying
have passable liner locks, but some of the chinky land generic crap is
horribly unsafe- like those knives you see at gun shops/shows for under $20)

To answer question 2, AOTs, etc, are not considered switchblades by
typical legal definitions. In order for it to be an automatic knife the
knife must fully deploy under spring power by pressing a button, etc.

For 3.... most folders use a clip, but some have a hole that you can
put para cord through and set up a lanyard on, and drop it into your
pocket. Some knives also have sheaths designed specifically for that
knife... can be worn on the beltline under a shirt, etc. Some folders
have a lot more discreet clip design than others... you want one where the
clip minimally exposes the rest of the knife. In "senistive" areas I would
keep the clip out of sight completely. (eg, billy badass security types
and LEOs know what the clip is on your pocket... ) Even if you
wear a tucked shirt w/belt if you can find a knife to tuck IWB near the
beltline comfortably, it'll "print" less than it would carried in a pocket.

-Mike

Take a look at the Spyderco line of knives. They're great knives with quality steel used in the blades. I have the Manix... it's a monster, but it is easily concealed by carrying IWB @ about the 1230 position. My favorite feature about the Manix is the lockout mechanism. When the blade snaps open, the knife essentially becomes a fixed blade. It's not like that little piece of spring steel holding the blade open inside the grip like other knives. It's a MASSIVE piece of steel (close to 1/4" thick) that locks on the back spine of the knife. The blade isn't closing unless you make it close. The Mannix is a great survival folder. It's big enough to do just about any task you ask it to but due to the blade shape, you can get pretty delicate with it too, considering it's size.
Another blade I've been meaning to pick up that is similar and a bit more manageable is the Spyderco Delica. It's a bit smaller, with the same build quality. Hope this helps some.

ETA - The prices on the Spyderco site are a bit high. For the full size Manix, the $100-120 dollar range is what you can expect to pay.

I carry a Spyderco. It's a 3" half serrated blade. I got the serrated blade because my son, a cop, told me they cut seat belts better if you need to get someone out of a car.

I carry IN my pocket, but not clipped to the pocket. It a concealed carry knife. Maybe not as accessible as a knife clipped to your pocket, but I like the element of surprise.

I also carry a baby spyderco in my weak hand front pocket.

Both open with either hand, are good quality and have lasted for years.

I have some Columbia River and Tool knives too, and they are a good value. I have a couple of them for more than 5 years and with a little sharpening now and then, they do a great job.

Don't get a knife with steel so hard that you can't sharpen it yourself.'

Right now, CRKT has a Eilosowitz (SP) designed folder for sale that looks like a real nice piece. These top knife makers are putting out knives they design through big companies like CRKT, giving you a knife that would cost several hundred dollars, for maybe 60 -70 dollars.

Check out Kershaw. I clip mine inside my pocket so the clip shows but no the knife. They open quickly with the touch of a piece on the back of the blade. They are not "switchblades" but are the closest thing to them.

matt,
I've carried a pocket knife every day for the past half century. My requirement calls for a locking blade of 2-1/2" to 3". I generally look for a knfe that is not too bulky. I prefer a non-serrated blade and a pocket clip. My current knfe is a CRKT M16-10KZ. It weighs 2.3 ounces and has a very comfortable grip. I don't like the half serrations but I took a chance on the CRKT because I like the size of the knife and it was on sale for $16!
I buy a new pocket knife just about every year, not because I have to, just because I like to collect them also. My last knife was a Kershaw Whirlwind, with assisted opening. The Whirlwind is scarey fast to get into action. I like it but it is almost too large to suit me. I have a couple of Kershaws and find that they are good quality.

I went thru a few different knives for carry

My Favorite to carry is the Spyderco Delica Wave. It is light, so you don't know its there, good steel and the wave feature opens the blade as it is drawn from the pocket. By far the fastest knife to deploy.
http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=227

Emerson also makes great knives with the wave feature

After carring one with the Wave, there is no reason to carry without

In the past I carried a Benchmade 14200
http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=14200

Boker Subcom....which is an adorable little knife
https://www.bokerusa.com/default2.asp

A Swamp rat Rat tail. which is a great small fixed blade fighting knife

and a Ka-Bar TDI which is also a great fixed blade fighting knife

I did a little Stick and knife fighting to supllement the Isreali combat fighting. It is amazing what you can do with a knife and a fast pair of hands

Do you travel much (fly)? On more than one occasion I've forgotten to take my knife out of my pocket before leaving for the airport. A couple of months ago I was behind a guy in the security line who was very upset because he had forgotten to take a very nice knife out of his pocket before getting in line. He'd failed the metal check once, his ride had left and his bags were checked, so his only choices were lose the knife or cancel the trip. Yes, I know about the hide it in the bathroom trick (think suspended ceiling), but I was not about to say anything right in front of the TSA guys.

I carry a cheap pocket knife, either a swiss clone or an inexpensive Winchester folder. I'm not worried about the cost if I lose it somehow.

I'm thinking of one of these with the "Autoburst" capability:
http://www.crkt.com/tinytighe.html

php73x30b.jpg

I'd recommend the Spyderco Delica. It has a blade just under 3 inches which is important if you ever find yourself in RI. Go with the straight edge blade rather than the serrated or 1/2 serrated model and it will be much easier to keep sharp. My personal favorite is the Spyderco Native III, but it's blade is a hair over 3 inches so I'm retiring it in favor of a Delica (I work in RI).

I have also tried a few CRKT knives but they all had the thumb stud and I couldn't open them with one hand easily or quickly like the Spiderco.

-Cuz.

I'd recommend the Spyderco Delica. It has a blade just under 3 inches which is important if you ever find yourself in RI. Go with the straight edge blade rather than the serrated or 1/2 serrated model and it will be much easier to keep sharp. My personal favorite is the Spyderco Native III, but it's blade is a hair over 3 inches so I'm retiring it in favor of a Delica (I work in RI).

I have also tried a few CRKT knives but they all had the thumb stud and I couldn't open them with one hand easily or quickly like the Spiderco.

-Cuz.

Does the Spyderco have an assist? I dont' see anything on the web site about it, but I find it hard to believe they don't...

Also, intersteing point about the serated versus straight edge... I hadn't thought about that.

Does the Spyderco have an assist? I dont' see anything on the web site about it, but I find it hard to believe they don't...

Also, intersteing point about the serated versus straight edge... I hadn't thought about that.

The spyderco doesn't have an assist. The problem with the assist knives is that you have to shift your hand to activate, then back to get the proper grip.
My Kershaw Boa is fun to play with, but is one of the slower to deploy knives that I have

The benchmade axis locks are nice. your grip change just alittle from the draw

Unless you think that you are going to cut alot of rope.... stay with a plain balde

Benchmade 940 Osborne with modified tanto blade and Axis locking mechanism. The best everyday carry knife available at any price. Oh, expect to pay around $165.00 if you can find one.

-Cuz.

Agreed, serrated edges also tend to catch on clothes, stick with a straight edge and don't use it for anything. Carry another knive for cutting up boxes, string ect...

Why would you carry a knife, then not use it for anything?

For self defense?? I want that blade to be as sharp as possible and I'm not gonna go risk getting it dull by using it to cut boxes. With training a knife can be very, very effective.

I have a buck knives. Great tool. I use it only for hunting and carrying around just in case. Don't use it to cut drywall!

nope, Id rather keep it factory sharp rather than spend $75 on a sharpener when I can get a cheap folder for like $10 at the army navy store for cutting boxes and crap.

If you have a bunch of boxes to cut, then use a utility knife, but to carry around 2 knives and never use one is silly. Factory sharp is nice, but why not have the knowledge and the ability to put a better edge on the knife.

What do you do when the cheap $10 knife is dull.... buy another one?

If you have a bunch of boxes to cut, then use a utility knife, but to carry around 2 knives and never use one is silly. Factory sharp is nice, but why not have the knowledge and the ability to put a better edge on the knife.

What do you do when the cheap $10 knife is dull.... buy another one?

[thinking] different strokes for differnt folks I guess, but I'd rather not mess with the sharpness cause you're prolly not gonna be able to make it better than factory.

I've been carrying that setup for a while now, Delica and a cheap folder I got from a army navy store, it hasn't failed me yet.

I bought my favorite knife on a trip to Arizona about 7 years ago the Benchmade/Emerson Spec War Model CQC7. The blade is of ATS-34 w/ tanto tip and is serated. Best knife I've ever owned and keeps a awesome sharp blade know matter what your cutting.

I regularly carry either a Benchmade 960 Osborne (D2 blade steel), Benchmade 730 Ares (154CM blade steel) or a William Henry Mohave B05-I (ZDP-189 blade steel). All are great carry knives. The Benchmades both have the Axis lock which can be used to flick the blade open and closed very quickly.

The William henry has a button lock which can be used in the same fashion as the Axis lock to flick the blade open, but there is no need to flick it closed. The blade action on the William Henry is so smooth that all you have to do is hold the knife upright, push the lock button, and the blade pivots back into place with the help of gravity.

I also have a Benchmade 690 (154CM blade steel) which has a liner lock, but I don't like to carry it because the Axis lock and the William Henry button lock are both much faster and neither require you to place any fingers in front of a closing blade.

The William Henry is by far my sharpest knife and should remain that way with its superior steel. The 154 CM blades hold a good edge as well and is the steel of choice with most current Benchmade Axis lock knives.

Last edited:
Doesn't anybody carry a fixed blade knife? I've been looking all over for just the right one and I was expecting this thread to have some good info on the subject. To me the sheath is just as important as the knife. I'd love to find something I could attach horizontally to my belt in the small of the back.

Doesn't anybody carry a fixed blade knife? I've been looking all over for just the right one and I was expecting this thread to have some good info on the subject. To me the sheath is just as important as the knife. I'd love to find something I could attach horizontally to my belt in the small of the back.
You should take a look at the new Bud Nealy line of knives, especially the Pesh-Kabz and is priced around $250. It has 9 seperate carry positions and only weighs 5.5 ounces. Also check out the tried and true Seal Pup by SOG.

Well for what it's worth I invested in a Spyderco sharpener about a month ago. I immediately sharpened every knife in the house. Now I leave it set up on the last, fine stage. Every couple of days I give my Delica a few swipes and it stays literally razor sharp, as good or better then from the factory. I sharpen my household knives as needed. It is truly a pleasure to have sharp knives.

The Spyderco sharpener is very easy to use. I have struggled with other methods, but this one works even for a klutz like myself. Highly recommended!

[thinking] different strokes for differnt folks I guess, but I'd rather not mess with the sharpness cause you're prolly not gonna be able to make it better than factory.

IMO that's untrue.... The -real- problem is being lazy about
sharpening; [laugh] IMO that is the only reason I carry two knives. I'm
spoiled too, because I have a friend with a knife sharpening kit that likes to
sharpen them just for the hell of it, so I just hand the dullest one to him
whenever I see him where he works, and he sharpens it right there, using one
of the Spyderco jobs. Ends up being as sharp as new, if not better.
Eventually I'll have to get one myself, but I don't dull the blades on my big
folders that often. The main reason I have the 2nd one, is the util knife
(a swiss army job) gets the snot beat out of it and always has tape residue,
glue, etc, on the blade... and I cut things with it sometimes that shouldn't be
cut with a knife. I'd rather abuse the <$20 knife than a more expensive
folder... it also keeps the big folder in a ready state when I have a task that
warrants a really good blade.

-Mike

Knives and flying

A couple of months ago I was behind a guy in the security line who was very upset because he had forgotten to take a very nice knife out of his pocket before getting in line. He'd failed the metal check once, his ride had left and his bags were checked, so his only choices were lose the knife or cancel the trip. Yes, I know about the hide it in the bathroom trick (think suspended ceiling), but I was not about to say anything right in front of the TSA guys.

Many airports now have a box near the security line where you can deposit your knife in an envelope (which they supply) to have it mailed back to your home. It's an expensive service compared to mailing the knife from a post office, but IIRC it's about the cost of a cheap knife. (They also will send some other prohibited items, but not all, and there's a steeper premium IIRC for sending a lighter.)

The one and only time something like this happened to me, I ended up checking the bag that was intended to be my carry-on; but then, I rarely check bags at all, so naturally I hadn't yet used up my allowance for checked luggage.

-- David

Back
Top Bottom