carrying across a border

when i decided to ask this question, i wanted to ask about the legality of bringing my ccw with me when i go to canada this winter. this is my first winter with my ccw permit, so its the first time this has been a thought. originally, i was only going to ask about this situation, but i thought it might be a good idea to also get some general information about the legality of carrying/bringing my ccw with me across state lines as well. i know this is probably a very green question but since i havent left the state with my ccw since getting my permit i thought it would be a good thing to gain some knowledge about. thanks for all your help, and i apologize if this is question is even more stupid than i anticipated!

edit: i am not expressely talking about CARRYING in another jurisdiction (state/country) but also about having my ccw with me. i am not sure there will be a whole lot of difference, but just in case...

Last edited:
If your permit is issued in Massachusetts, you can carry concealed in any other state that recognizes your permit.

To the best of my knowledge, that would be NONE.

As far as Canada is concerned, I believe there are provisions for bringing long arms from the US to Canada for hunting or sporting purposes, however there is no provision for anyone to bring a handgun into Canada unless you are licensed there.

I'm about 95% certain that you cannot CCW in Canada even as a resident. Their handgun laws are even more tight then MA.

I think you can take a long arm across the border by land, but not by boat or plane, but I'm in a hurry now so can't find support for this right now.

If your permit is issued in Massachusetts, you can carry concealed in any other state that recognizes your permit.

To the best of my knowledge, that would be NONE.

Except of course Vermont & Alaska. [smile]

IIRC there was a similar thread recently, can't seem to find it now...
dontknow.gif

Good thing you asked first.

Last edited:
As far as Canada is concerned, I believe there are provisions for bringing long arms from the US to Canada for hunting or sporting purposes, however there is no provision for anyone to bring a handgun into Canada unless you are licensed there.

US residents can obtain a Canadian handgun ("restricted weapon") transport permit - no mags over 10 rounds, certain small calibers banned, min bbl length 105mm. Such permits are issued only for a specific reason, and generally require a letter of invitation or similar documentation from the gun club at which you will be attending a shooting competition. This takes a few weeks, and is not something you can do "on your way in".

I've done this more than a couple of times (over 10 years ago), and the reaction of Customs Canada can usually be summed up as "WTF?". The reaction was always very polite, but there were sometimes brief delays while a group of customs people tried to find the right memo in a three ring binder since they didn't know exactly what to do with Americans who actually had Canadian paperwork for their handguns. They have always required we show the guns to verify they were unloaded and trigger locked (a requirement up there before it became trendy in the US).

One more thing - NO hollowpoints that can be used in handguns in Canada, eh? I've had the ammo checked for that on one occasion.

It definitely got us some strange looks from the other people in line in the Toronto airport when the customs agent handed us back our 1911s and Glocks and wished us a nice visit.

Carry permits are issued in only the rarest of cases, and the issuing department periodically re-investigates to see if the specific need is still in effect. I'm referring to a "need" filter than makes NYC look green by comparison.

The policy on declared, but unpermitted, handguns was changed a number if years ago;. The old policy was to tell you to go back to the US (assuming you declared the gun to them); the current policy is "surrendered to the crown".

Also, even if you have all your paperwork it is a crime to fail to volunteer the fact that you are bringing a gun into the country even if Customs Canada does not ask.

Last edited:
Except of course Vermont & Alaska. [smile]

... and Arizona, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas and Utah.

Don't assume that simply because Massachusetts pisses on everybody's civil rights that every other state pisses on the civil rights of Massachusetts residents.

Ken

... and Arizona, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas and Utah.
I suspect the original poster was referring to the ability to carry concealed without a permit - a right not extended in any of the additional states you list.

Don't assume that simply because Massachusetts pisses on everybody's civil rights that every other state pisses on the civil rights of Massachusetts residents.
Most states piss on rights; they just choose which rights. AZ, VA and NM are "shall issue", but don't get caught carrying in restaurants that can serve alcohol - a prohibition that does not exist in MA. I believe NM even makes this act that would be lawful for a MA ltc-a/unrestricted holder a felony if committed in that state. Or what about Utah's delegation to churches of the authority to have carry permits declared void on their property? Or TX law 30.06 which allows any business to make carry a crime by posting signs meeting certain standards? MA enjoys no monopoly in rights abuse.

And as I understand it, if your pistol has Ivory Grips or your shotgun an Ivory bead, be prepared to lose it. No ivory is allowed to be imported into Canada

Does anyone know if CT, NH and ME have similar laws like this one RI has?

"provided the person is merely transporting the firearm through the state in a vehicle or other conveyance without any intent on the part of the person to detain him or herself or remain within the state of Rhode Island."

Ken

yyyyyyep, only ones i knew off the top of my head tho are arizona, indiana, vermont, alaska

Back
Top Bottom