• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A real "hmm" on duty to retreat in a mass-shooting...

But seriously, though, mass shooters don’t all sort into the BMF category, and an AK or AR does not endow the others magically with the courage to face being shot at. That mall shooter who got stopped recently folded and retreated. I don’t remember them all, but I don’t think he was the first. I want to say it’s more like a coin flip than a miracle if your mass shooter turns out not to be a badass when anyone is shooting back at him.

A big part of my "potential response to mass shooter" assumptions is tied to my belief that these people are generally cowards, and that incoming fire is likely to defeat them even if it doesn't hit them.

The overwhelming response school shooters have (and I get trained on this every year, tediously) is to fold when confronted by returning fire. Overwhelming. That's a big part of the reason why officers are no longer told to wait for backup before running in: my school's CoP has told us that the current belief is that ANY outgoing fire is likely to end the threat with little reply by the perp.

Who knows how true that is for every situation? But it happens enough that I tend to buy it. It's one of the arguments in favor of capacity over bullet size.

Who knows how true that is for every situation? But it happens enough that I tend to buy it. It's one of the arguments in favor of capacity over bullet size.

That is nuts to me. Why is marksmanship not included here? One well-placed shot is more effective and "less-collateral-damage" than emptying a magazine like a popcorn-maker.

That is nuts to me. Why is marksmanship not included here? One well-placed shot is more effective and "less-collateral-damage" than emptying a magazine like a popcorn-maker.

Reread my post; I explained my reasoning. You're welcome to your own. I also pointed out that I might not be correct in every situation, but that it tends to make sense to me.

I don't necessarily disagree with you. But I doubt the calculus is black-and-white. There's room for many opinions. And I never suggested "emptying a magazine like a popcorn-maker," nor would I.

Reread my post; I explained my reasoning. You're welcome to your own. I also pointed out that I might not be correct in every situation, but that it tends to make sense to me.

I don't necessarily disagree with you. But I doubt the calculus is black-and-white. There's room for many opinions. And I never suggested "emptying a magazine like a popcorn-maker," nor would I.

That calculus can be. Black-and-white indeed.

View: https://youtu.be/lYcTaQn3QkI?t=61

Back
Top Bottom