CCW Concerns

The belt is the most important part of your carry setup. A cheap belt won't support a good holster, but a good belt will support a crappy holster!

I have a belt from The Belt Man and a Milt Sparks VMII and it works great.

The belt is the most important part of your carry setup. A cheap belt won't support a good holster, but a good belt will support a crappy holster!

I have a belt from The Belt Man and a Milt Sparks VMII and it works great.

+1 If you want to be comfortable and not worry about profiling (or your pants dropping to your ankles in the middle of the mall), the belt and holster selection is not a place to skimp on. You will save money in the long run, by spending it now on a great belt and a really good holster. Or you can dedicate a drawer to cheap holsters that will collect dust.

Yeah, Im far from a skinny emo kid...Im more the bouncer looking guy at a Robbie Roadsteamer show. Im going to experiment with the CTAC holster and determine which shirts work best at covering the butt of the gun and adjust it so that it sinks as low as possible.

The CTAC is a great holster. When you adjust it's ride-height, don't forget to adjust its cant as well. Assuming you'll be carrying between 3 to 4 o'clock on the belt, to make the gun disappear... you don't necessarily have to have the gun ride as low as possible on the belt line... sometimes simply canting the gun forward to a FBI cant or a more aggressive 20-25 degree cant (while riding medium or high on the belt line) will make it disappear just as effectively. The more of a neutral cant/straight drop your gun has the more the grip may print. The more of a forward cant your gun has the more it disappears. Just something to think about when you're adjusting things and more options to try out when you're walking around the house.

And like others have said... you'll be paranoid for the first few days... but then you'll realize that, seriously, everyone is oblivious. No one will notice [grin]

Where? Who? When? I've asked this before for people to site this info. No one ever does.

Joe Landers? did once. He got it back eventually. IIRC he got spotted carrying some pizzas and his jacket blew open, some cop saw it, "pinged" him checked his LTC, and then promptly ratted on him to his issuing authority (Dedham?) and the IA pulled his license on suitability.

See Also: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/10681-Dedham-UPDATE!

It's pretty rare but it does happen. I'm surprised it didn't happen with the lawyer in springfield who had a similar thing happen to him, but I don't know what the lawyer's IA was, maybe they stuck up for him, or the PD didn't rat on him to his hometown because they knew he would be trouble. I think he took them to court and got his gun back. (The LEO who pinged him was a 100% douchebag and stole his gun and permit... I believe they returned his permit pretty quickly, but they held onto his gun for awhile. )

Even if it's not likely, it's still a painful experience, even if you "win". The only way this will ever stop is if suitability is killed legally. Hopefully the work Comm2A is will kill it at least at a base level. (eg, they won't be able to pull permits for fake stuff, or at least not without due process of law. )

-Mike

For belts try Andy Langlois here, The Belt Man, Crossbreed, and we had a customer get a Carhartt work belt that works fine for him.

I have two Crossbreed belts and I love them, except they're really thick (I have the velcro lining for v-clips on my supertuck holsters) and that's been a problem with some mag carriers.

Where? Who? When? I've asked this before for people to site this info. No one ever does.

Joe Landers. His experience has been discussed here numerous times. It took him several years and undoubtedly thousands of dollars in legal fees to get it back.

But you can keep implying that this never happened and I made it all up and have not provided back up. I'm sure that makes you feel better. [rolleyes]

Last edited:
I am familiar with that situation and I did forget about it. Seems it was a pretty isolated case. Look at it this way. Out of the thousands and thousands of people that carry every day in the course of 10 years there was only two known incidents? And the outcome of those two were positive?

Last edited:
Joe Landers. His experience has been discussed here numerous times. It took him several years and undoubtedly thousands of dollars in legal fees to get it back.

But you can keep implying that this never happened and I made it all up and have provided back up. I'm sure that makes you feel better. [rolleyes]

You're right I'm sorry, you came up with one isolated case that occurred almost ten years ago.

I am familiar with that situation and I did forget about it. Seems it was a pretty isolated case. Look at it this way. Out of the thousands and thousands of people that carry every day in the course of 10 years there was only two known incidents? And the outcome of those two were positive?

Every chief in MA is an "isolated case"! That's what makes "suitability" such a double-edged sword!

I'd bet that having the LTC yanked is much more prevalent (in E. MA) than we think. We only know about a case or two that made the news or had an attorney involved who used to be active here on NES. We won't know about any cases where the guy doesn't fight it, will we?

In any specific instance, one may be "warned", "hassled" or declared "unsuitable". I know one chief fairly well and he told me that he'll warn someone once, but if they become a "repeat incident" he will strongly consider whether or not the person is "suitable" to maintain his LTC!

You spin the wheel and you take your chances! How lucky do you feel today?

Here is something a friend in NY sent me "just for discussion". Some of you may find it interesting and others may find it helpful. I'm not sure I agree with all of it but it does give some perspective.

-Rick

geXpa.jpg

And the outcome of those two were positive?
It took him several years and thousands of dollars to get his LTC back. You call that a "positive outcome"?

Has this sort of thing happened often? Frankly, we don't know. Probably not. But it has happened. We have discretionary licensing and it is wise to try to avoid coming to the attention of our CLEO.

Here is something a friend in NY sent me "just for discussion". Some of you may find it interesting and others may find it helpful. I'm not sure I agree with all of it but it does give some perspective.

-Rick

View attachment 17520

95% of those tells disappear with a proper belt and holster.

The other 5% disappear with judicious selection of clothing and not being self conscious of carrying a firearm, both of which come from time in the saddle.

The other thing to consider, IIRC that poster was prepared for the NYPD. Consider the location.

95% of those tells disappear with a proper belt and holster.

The other 5% disappear with judicious selection of clothing and not being self conscious of carrying a firearm, both of which come from time in the saddle.

The other thing to consider, IIRC that poster was prepared for the NYPD. Consider the location.

Yeah, and it's funny, I don't see a single gangbanger with his pants around his knees in a single one of those pictures...

I have a Kramer holster as well and I've been impressed with it.

The printing thing is WAY, WAY blown out of proportion IMO. You could be printing very badly all the time and I doubt anyone would notice. Most people are oblivious to that kind of thing. The small print you're more likely to make with a half-way decent holster is totally unrecognizable as a gun. Most people will think it's a cell-phone or something because all it looks like is a slight bulge without a distinct shape. Shirts that are a size too large for you are the way to go IMO. I can wear a tucked in shirt with a little blouse at the bottom where it's tucked in and it looks just fine. Suitable for work, certainly.

The last class I did I actually concealed three full-sized semis wearing nothing but a shirt as a concealment garment and not a single person could find them from a visual inspection, though one did say he saw a slight bulge at my right-hand waist which turned out to be shirt, not gun.

It's not as hard as you think. And the penalty for a small print is nothing as no one will notice.

I "print" all the time . . .

My cell phone case and NES Freedom Flashlight & Case stick out like sore thumbs!

Nobody even mentions it.

You're right I'm sorry, you came up with one isolated case that occurred almost ten years ago.

There are likely others out there suffering in silence but a lot of people don't have money to front for an attorney, so they just throw in the towel.

I agree it's pretty rare, overall, though. Your issuing authority has to be pretty douchebaggish if they are willing to pull your license merely because someone saw you unintentionally open carrying.

-Mike

Don't worry, Just carry.

I carry a 229 every day, nobody has noticed.

One time, at work, a supervisor was trying to fondle me, She said "what's that"...

Wait I can't tell that story here. Never mind. True story though. Really.

Anyway, a good belt and holster, You'll be fine.

Don't worry, Just carry.

One time, at work, a supervisor was trying to fondle me, She said "what's that"...

So, you were glad to see her then?

Don't worry, Just carry.

Were you wearing your Thunderwear that day?

More like:

"I don't really know what it is, but it's really heavay. I accthidentally pulled on my boyfriend's pants after we got out of bed thith morning. I was in sthuch a rush to make him a sammich that I didn't notice until I got heeere. He's into manly things, you know, girlfriend? Tee hee."

[laugh]

I hope You liked Your sammich shnookums because I spit in it. [wink]

Last edited:
Don't worry, Just carry.

So, did you get the raise that day? I have to assume you must have been up for review.[laugh]

“This simple, undisputed fact provided a sufficient basis for Stern’s concern that Schubert may have been about to commit a serious act, or, at the very least, was openly carrying a firearm without a license to do so.’’ hmmmmm so it is legal...and they ADMIT it...[devil][pot]

Just kidding.[smile]

I routinely interact with LEO's (I'm not) and they never notice. Not the beat/traffic cop type, more of the trained to notice all 'things' type.

It's imperative to have a good system that works for you (gun as well as the holster).

My Kimber Solo uses only the clipdraw - literally do not notice it's on.

Going to try the MIC Holster and clipdraw for the Glock 26 - but the weight of the gun and added thickness make it less comfortable (and less desirable) for edc.

I have found that adding any thickness to my CC makes the comfort go down the tube, but I'm not 'fluffy' and loosing more.

For deep concealment I LOVE the 'Smartcarry Copy' (I made my own, custom to me and various guns).

When you find yourself an inadvertent 'open carry' victim...don't panic, fix it with confidence. The quick motion to fix it will cause more suspicion, act as if it's nothing and others will follow.

I am a big fan of crossbreed holsters and belts. I have not tried most of the others mentioned here so I can' give a comparison, but they are built well, comfortable and conceal very well. I prefer the velcro clips myself. My wife uses one as well and loves it.

I routinely interact with LEO's (I'm not) and they never notice. Not the beat/traffic cop type, more of the trained to notice all 'things' type.

It's imperative to have a good system that works for you (gun as well as the holster).

My Kimber Solo uses only the clipdraw - literally do not notice it's on.

Going to try the MIC Holster and clipdraw for the Glock 26 - but the weight of the gun and added thickness make it less comfortable (and less desirable) for edc.

I have found that adding any thickness to my CC makes the comfort go down the tube, but I'm not 'fluffy' and loosing more.

For deep concealment I LOVE the 'Smartcarry Copy' (I made my own, custom to me and various guns).

When you find yourself an inadvertent 'open carry' victim...don't panic, fix it with confidence. The quick motion to fix it will cause more suspicion, act as if it's nothing and others will follow.

^ that is a key piece of advice right there! It's no different than shoplifting... those who get caught are generally the ones that act suspiciously and try to duck into a vacant corner to pocket the merchandise. The experienced type will slip it in his pocket while talking to the cashier very deliberately, and never be noticed at all. I was told this by a person that does "loss prevention" for a living, btw.

Some years back, I was at dinner party with some friends. I was speaking to our hostess, who is a lovely women that my wife and I have known for years. She's also screamingly liberal.

I was wearing dockers and carrying a PM9 in my right pocket and a spare mag in my left pocket. I was sitting right across from our hostess, chatting with her, when I crossed my left leg over my right. I heard a thunk from my left, and looked down to see my spare magazine on the wood floor. I reached down, picked it up, stuffed it back in my pocket, and continued our conversation, trying to look nonchalant all the time. Our hostesses' eyes were wide -- she'd obviously seen and recognized the magazine, and understood the implication. But I didn't break stride in the story I was telling and she didn't bring it up. Definitely an "oh crap" moment.

Back
Top Bottom