Chaparral Arms - Anybody heard of this company?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
For some time now I've been contemplating getting a lever action rifle in 357 Mag. I've been thinking of getting a Puma, but just haven't pulled the trigger as of yet. As I was going through the latest Shotgun News I ran across an add for lever guns from Chaparral Arms. I specifically like their 1873 model and their pricing is less then the Puma I wanted to get.

My only thing is that I've never heard of them, but in doing some searching they seem to have a decent reputation. Has anyone heard of them or by chance have one of their rifles? If so, how do you like it.

No, but looks like they have some nice stuff. It shows that Bullseye(Paul) in Woonsocket, RI is a dealer of them. I think they are closed on Mondays, but it might be worth calling them to see if they have any in stock.

I do Cowboy Action shooting and many people are getting the Chaparral, they seem like really nice rifles. I personally like my Uberti in .357. Also many are using them for the long range matches because they make an excellent 1876 Winchester clone.

Also a CAS Shooter. Chaparral got in as the only other manufacturer other than Uberti making the '73 rifle.

You must remember that the '73 is not as strong an action as the Puma ('92) The '73 uses a linking system not unlike the Luger to raise the shell carrier. The '92 action is much stronger. One should not plan on "hot rodding" loads and then shooting them in a '73 while the '92 action is much stronger and can handle the pressure.

The '73 is perfered - usually the Uberti - over the '92 in CAS because the stroke of the lever can be shortened and fired faster in strings of 10 rounds. The same "weakness" in the action for hot rounds makes it easier to shoot faster. The feed system is less likely to jam at a higher shooting speed. The '92's - and I own one - are prone to stove pipe jams at speed as the cartridge angles up into the chamber Vs the '73 that come up level with the chamber.

Take a look at www.stevesgunz.com. Nate Kiowa Jones is the best Rossi '92 mechanic in the CAS world. He sells and Services Rossi '92's. You won't get one better.

I've heard of them and that they had a decent product but have no firsthand experience with them.

I am curious about the Rossi lever actions. I checked the Rossi website and the only rifles they list are the single shots. I did find some articles on the rifles elsewhere but am wondering why they are not listed on the companys website.

Are there two Rossi manufacturers from Brazil?

Henry

My boy has the Henry .44 Mag Big Boy. Nice Rifle. American Made

I have not tried their .357 mag but I would think it would just just as fine.

Dont bother with second best. You only live once.

Get a Henry

http://www.henryrepeating.com/h006_bigboy.cfm

My only wish is that they came with sling swivels

I would love to see Henry make the same rifle in Stainless Steel .445 Supermag. I would get one in a heartbeat. you could chamber the 445Supermag, .44 Mag & 44 Special for a very versitial rifle.

Capt Walt

Last edited:
I like the look of the Henry's, but they do not make a 24" octagon BBl, which is what I'm looking for.

My boy has the Henry .44 Mag Big Boy. Nice Rifle. American Made

I have not tried their .357 mag but I would think it would just just as fine.

Dont bother with second best. You only live once.

Get a Henry

http://www.henryrepeating.com/h006_bigboy.cfm

My only wish is that they came with sling swivels

Back
Top Bottom